Another "Good Day @ the Range"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Another "Good Day @ the Range"

Post by Griff »

I got home from my last trip on Saturday, shortly after noon. I'd gotten unloaded on Friday evening down in Houston... but got tired about halfway back to Dallas... Saturday morning got up to "issues" with the lights on the truck... The ICC lights on the roof of the cab weren't working... and if stopped for an inspection would result in a ticket. So I got out my handy "electrical kit" and went to work... The power wire that comes thru the cab to the outside was only working intermittently... seems the wire had broken inside the insulation. I guess some stuff only has about a 18 year life span! (Truck was built in Mar of 1997). So, tear into there or wait til I get home? Or, go to the nearest shop and let them do it. Hmmm... decisions.. let a mechanic do it and eat breakfast... or spend the next three days fixing it myself?

Warranty questions answered that one! If they do it, it's warranteed for a year... parts and labor, if I do it... it's warranteed until it breaks again! Besides the stomach was growling by this time!

And there was a Cowboy Action match in Groesback, TX on Sunday. I got home in time to ensure I had enough ammo already loaded and all my gear was in order.

Luckily, the club got started a tad late, as I was certainly late. Safety meeting was over, and everyone was getting their stuff prepared to shoot the 1st stage. Match Director told me... you've shot enough of these to give yourself the safety speech... and reminded me of their range specific rule about "muzzles above the berm". One competitor needed more than a reminder, as he let a shotgun round go that ended up going over the berm, and earned a match DQ. Apparently the neighbor's cows are more valuable than all our p/u's combined!

I again shot in the "Frontiersman" category, and... WON! Ok, I was the only Frontiersman... so you could easily say I lost! But, as the other sayin' goes, "...if you aren't missing, you're going too slow!" I musta been shooting too slow, as I shot the match clean. No misses. I shot my 1851s Navies, (NOT converted to cartridge like so many other lazy good-fer-nuttin's)... :P my 1873 rifle in 45Colt loaded with 30 grains of Goex "Cartridge", a 200 gr. RN and my Cimarron 1878 Colt clone side by side... loaded with whatever a load of Goex "Cartridge" fits in a MEC #43 bushing and 1 oz of shot!

I shot the match "double-duelist" style, in that the right hand gun is shot with the right hand and the left-hand gun is fired with the left... and find that I need some more practice with shooting left handed, and I really slowed down on the left... Even tho' I found that at times, I had to consciously release the trigger as the hammer wouldn't stay cocked! Apparently the left hand's fine motor control skills need some work!

Unlike many C&Br's, I load (charge) all six chambers and just cap 5 when I get to the loading table. That way, if I have a miss-fire or a dud, I can simply cap the 6th chamber and possibly salvage a clean run. However, as I started charging chambers for that first stage, I found that I put this pair of 1851s away with one chamber still charged! Since I don't mark chambers or note such, I knew that on that 1st stage I might have a misfire or two! I really don't recall the last time I had these guns out and shooting! They appear cleaned... so apparently I cleaned 'em around those 2 chambers! I musta done a good job, as I fired all 6 stages (60 rounds total), without having to take the guns apart, relube or otherwise fiddle with the guns.

The 1873 shot all match long, with nary a problem, tho' in its case, as I knew it would. I once proved to myself that it would shoot over 10 stages, over a 2 day period without any necessary maintenance. Just wish I could get my 1860 Henry to such a state... after just 10 shots it's gummed up something fierce! I don't know if its chamber is just a tad larger, or if there isn't as much clearance on the lifter.

There isn't much you can say against the Cimarron clone of the 1878 Colt scattergun... except it's a "tank". Which, in the case of BP shooter, is a GOOD THING! One of the other shooters asked me about my charge in the shotgun... as to him, they seemed quite heavy. To me, they don't seem much different than factory Winchester AA "Low Noise-Low Recoil" ammo. Maybe I'll have to measure that load from the #43 bushing... but it makes for such a nice loaded round!!! the crimp stays in place, and is perfectly formed out of the "once-fired" AA hulls I use! Maybe I'll see how good some lighter loads appear... as I've bushings from #36-41 also! I've also got #45 & 46. But those 2 won't crimp as nice with 1 oz. of shot.

Ok, so in the final analysis, I might have been in last place of the shooters that finished the whole match... but I was certainly 1st in the amount of smoke and smiles I got from the day's outing!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Another "Good Day @ the Range"

Post by Sixgun »

Well Griff.....don't sound too bad..on the shooting end. Sorry to hear you lost but congratulations on your win!

As for the Black Rose, I know the feeling as I've been turning wrenches since I was about 12 and I've reached the point of disgust but still turn them. I got to wrestle that trans out of Old Yeller about every 3 or 4 years when that slave cylinder for the clutch goes.

Electrical problems can be a major mess without the tools and the knowhow. I need to "see" what the problem is.

Well, you got to shoot, so with the man fixing the Black Rose and the ammo and entry fees, that comes to $2,210 + tax. :D------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:Well Griff.....don't sound too bad..on the shooting end. Sorry to hear you lost but congratulations on your win!

As for the Black Rose, I know the feeling as I've been turning wrenches since I was about 12 and I've reached the point of disgust but still turn them. I got to wrestle that trans out of Old Yeller about every 3 or 4 years when that slave cylinder for the clutch goes.

Electrical problems can be a major mess without the tools and the knowhow. I need to "see" what the problem is.

Well, you got to shoot, so with the man fixing the Black Rose and the ammo and entry fees, that comes to $2,210 + tax. :D------6
The good thing, is that I estimated about a ½-hour to actually fix the "Rose", but was willing to allow someone else an full hour... they only charged for .65/hour... it was done in less time than me to eat breakfast! Which was my intent! And since I have about 20 free $15-meals yet to come at that chain of truck stops... The $80 to fix the truck... was a drop in the bucket... less than ½ a box of good cigars!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

All righty then! That's a rare case when things work out to your advantage. I'm always expecting to pay for, say....2 hours of labor....and then you hear a song and dance about how it got up to 6 hours.......then you look in his parking lot and see a new $50,000 pick up. :D ----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Sounds like a sweet deal all the way around
good shooting the truck is fixed & a free breakfast, couldn't lose

Brad
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Dang!, that sounds like fun. ITSASS (Tulsa) shoots Wednesday and I'd sure like to go but I have a tractor apart for a complete engine rebuild so will probably not go. Getting my 12 year old son into his first engine job. Letting him turn the wrenches while I supervise.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

M. M. Wright wrote:Dang!, that sounds like fun. ITSASS (Tulsa) shoots Wednesday and I'd sure like to go but I have a tractor apart for a complete engine rebuild so will probably not go. Getting my 12 year old son into his first engine job. Letting him turn the wrenches while I supervise.
I have one of those jobs on my "to do" list... a '69 Ford 3000 that has oil in the water... I'm hopin' it's just a head gasket... but since the Deere 950's still runnin' good... ain't a "rush" job... been in the barn for 3 years now! :oops: :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!