Reasonably priced "modern" Marlin

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BrentD

Reasonably priced "modern" Marlin

Post by BrentD »

This is too modern for me, but I would think someone here would be all over this at the BIN price.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =428226217

Not mine nor anyone I know.
bluesman423
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Reasonably priced "modern" Marlin

Post by bluesman423 »

I think the price is at least $200 too high ............... especially drilled and tapped
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Really? Well, I admit, I don't know much about the price of these things but it seemed pretty cheap to me by about that much. D and T doesn't bother me and seems like most folks do it almost as a matter of course anyway.

Oh well, I guess I was mistaken.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

bluesman423 wrote:I think the price is at least $200 too high ............... especially drilled and tapped
Yeah, they can keep the scope and I would pick one up for $300 or less.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I agree, d & T`d that one is a $300 gun tops.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

And yet people on this forum pay what for a brand new rifle that has all the fit, finish, and function of a red ryder bb gun?
bluesman423
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bluesman423 »

If you live close to NE Oklahoma I can show you the exact gun one year difference and in untouched 93% to 95% condition for an asking rice of $475 in a local pawnshop ............. it has been there for six months that I know of.

I would love to have it but I need one drilled and tapped because I have to have a scope mounted these days.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

If it hadn't been F'd with it might be worth the price !

Been drilled and tapped for the scope , the swivels are not factory and it's missing the factory rear sight and front sight cover .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

FWIW I sold a circa 1952 Marlin 336SC in 35 REM about 5 years ago . Mine was missing the front sight hood and it had a peep sight , if memory serves I got $500 .
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I'm with you, Brent. That is not out of line for one (apparently) fine rifle with a scope that should be worth a couple hundred itself. I can't believe he didn't get any bids on it: I considered it myself when he first listed it but I already have 6 rifles in 35 Remington including a 336A in virtually pristine condition. So I stayed away, but if I was needing a Marlin in 35 Remington I'd have given him a decent bid.

I'm sure he'd have got some bids if he had a better set of detailed photos to back his description.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It's worth whatever someone will pay for it....I don't like the scope, and if it was ugly, it would still shoot good, and be half that....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

While handsome & appreciated, IMHO it now carries only a $300-$400 "shooter" value, since (as noted above) it's been moved out of "original condition" (Which gennie condition would have made it appeal to a collector).

Considering that the scope, resold, could bring $150-$175 brings it's actual cash value at least $100 less than the seller's $650 "starting bid".

BrentD

Post by BrentD »

It is interesting that a Marlin 39a from the same era and in the same condition would bring at least what he is asking for this rifle and a new rifle of 1/10th the quality would cost another 50-100% more than he is asking. Yes, the market is a fickle beast.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

BrentD wrote:It is interesting that a Marlin 39a from the same era and in the same condition would bring at least what he is asking for this rifle and a new rifle of 1/10th the quality would cost another 50-100% more than he is asking. Yes, the market is a fickle beast.
I have a 62 (3?) 39 Mountie...so so cond....that I would not take 650 for. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Looks like a nice period piece. Apparently no one wants a period piece at that price.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Well........ there's more involved here, IMO - the seller's done gone & shot hisself in the foot.

Many prospective bidders will have nothing to do with a seller that makes his opening bid at/about his BIN (buy it now) price - which makes it a straight sale, and not really an auction.

That strategy also stops prospective bidders from working themselves up into the virtually unstoppable bidding fever/process that occurs when the opening bid is very low, thereby also killing most prospects of a sale before it has a chance to begin.

BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

I can not figure out prices either. I have a NIB (1996) genuine Marlin 1895 SS GL 45-70 that I offered on another site at a price lower than any advertised RemLin version and no interest. Guess I'll have to post it on one of the internet auction sites.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BAGTIC wrote:I can not figure out prices either. I have a NIB (1996) genuine Marlin 1895 SS GL 45-70 that I offered on another site at a price lower than any advertised RemLin version and no interest. Guess I'll have to post it on one of the internet auction sites.
I have bought and sold ALOT of firearms on the gun auction sites over the last ten years .

Nothing against forum sales but I find it to be in my better (monetary) intrest to sell on Gunbroker or some such site and pay the fee's .

Folks on forums are generally alot more into tire kicking shall we say . On an auction site it's a lot easier to be a name without a face .
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

This is a great time to be a Marlin buyer: So many fine old weapons selling for way less than the newly made stuff!

And gunbroker has 3 of the old 336A's in 35 Remington right now, although one is too fancy and high priced for my use. A few years ago when I decided I had to have one of those I waited for months for just one to show up. And now I see a 336A in 32 Special: seems a little high for the condition but it is d&t'd which might be nice for these aging eyeballs!

Oh yeah, I guess that d&t is supposed to reduce the value. Dang!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry