OT: Ruger Convertibles.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

OT: Ruger Convertibles.

Post by Blackhawk »

Thinking about getting a 357/9mm Ruger convertible. Anyone know how well they shoot?

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Ruger Convertibles.

Post by FWiedner »

I own one.

I'd like to answer your question.

But the truth is that I've never even tried the 9mm cylinder.

:oops:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

This one shoots very well with either 9mm or .357 Mag. Was able to hit a 24in plate at 100 yards with either ammo. 9mm cheaper and no problems shooting it or ejecting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have one Blackhawk .357/9MM. It shoots .357`s better than 9mm but not by a great amount.
Also I have only fired 115 gr. bullets in the 9mm cylinder so far. I believe it will shoot better with a bullet in the 140 gr range.

I also have half a dozen Blackhawk convertibles in .45 Colt/ .45 ACP. Almost all of them will shoot best with ACP loads. My 7 1/2" when shooting .45 ACP will keep em in one ragged hole at 25 yards
(rested). I have three pairs of Vaquero .45 convertibles and they seem to like both loads equally well and print them very close to the same point. That is with cowboy loads using the same RCBS 45-230-CA 230 gr. cast bullet and 4.8 gr. Red Dot in the ACP and 6 gr. Trail boss in the .45 Colts.

The only way you can know how yours will do is to shoot it and find out. They are all different.

PS, I shot that ACP 230 gr. 4.8 gr. RED DOT load through my Ruger 1911 CMD (Commander) this morning and 21 shots (rested) made one ragged hole about 1 1/2" in diameter at 30'.
Have fun!! :wink:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It's not centerfire, but my SingleSix shoots LR/MAG equally well......Ruger seems to have their act together (at least if they size the cyl throats properly :roll: ....that's something to check if one cyl doesn't shoot too good)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

My 357/9mm shoots 357s noticably better.
I burned up some 9mm lead bullet handloads that leaded up the barrel badly. Then I recalled that the 357 is a couple of thousandths larger than 9mm.
With jacketed 9mm ammo, the accuracy is OK for 25 yard plinking.

Unless I had a very large supply of nearly free 9mm ammo, I don't think I would buy one now.

Jack

BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Blackhawk wrote:Thinking about getting a 357/9mm Ruger convertible. Anyone know how well they shoot?

Johnny
I have one as well. It shoots .357 just fine and that's why I bought it. It also shoots .38 spc just fine if I want to shoot cheaper, low power ammo. The 9mm cylinder has never been on the gun as long as I have owned it, and it never will be. It is a solution for a problem that I have never encountered.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have an Old Model Blackhawk .357 that I fitted a 9mm cylinder too. It shoots OK so far, didn't do much with it yet. One thing I noticed about shooting the 9mm ammo, is it's like shooting 38 wad cutter target loads from a S&W Mdl 28. A little pop and no recoil. Kinda fun really.

Joe

Edited cos of a brain phart / phinger malfunction.
Last edited by J Miller on Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Found a 45 ACP cyl. In a box from an auction..tried it in my three 45Colt Ruger Blackhawks..fit the Bisley, not so much the other two..checked the timing with a range rod and a high intensity light..looked GTG.. Shoots good...seems to be an answer to an unasked question.......
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

Anyone have a 9mm cylinder that they would part with?
I have an itch for a Bain & Davis................
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

BrentD wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:Thinking about getting a 357/9mm Ruger convertible. Anyone know how well they shoot?

Johnny
I have one as well. It shoots .357 just fine and that's why I bought it. It also shoots .38 spc just fine if I want to shoot cheaper, low power ammo. The 9mm cylinder has never been on the gun as long as I have owned it, and it never will be. It is a solution for a problem that I have never encountered.
Clearly, you've never needed a paperweight that held six pencils... 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Twodot wrote:Anyone have a 9mm cylinder that they would part with?
I have an itch for a Bain & Davis................
Yeah, maybe. I have one that I will never use, but I never thought about selling it since it would affect the resale of the rest of the revolver set. But what the heck, shoot me an offer by PM or email.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

I had my 9mm cylinder converted to 357/44 Bain & Davis. Quite a screamer from the 6 in. Bbl
Shot fine, probably do better in a 10 in(or more) Contender. I just had zero interest in the 9 mm option.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

guido4198 wrote:I had my 9mm cylinder converted to 357/44 Bain & Davis. Quite a screamer from the 6 in. Bbl
Shot fine, probably do better in a 10 in(or more) Contender. I just had zero interest in the 9 mm option.
Was this recently?
I'm thinking about a rechamber now.
How much do you think it would cost?

Jack
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Sorry Jack,
Mine was done in 1979 or somewhere close if memory serves. I've no idea what current cost might be.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Call Gary Reeder..I had him make a 45 Colt cyl for one of my Rugers ..he used a 357 mag cyl that he had on the shelf, a used one, and throated all holes at .4515. Shoots worlds better than before..cost around $200 IIRC..
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:
BrentD wrote:
Johnny
Clearly, you've never needed a paperweight that held six pencils... 8)
:lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Has anyone slugged the barrel of their 357/9mm? Perhaps oversize for the 9MM? I believe this would have a great effect on accuracy. Mebbe shooting oversize cast bullets? Like mebbe .357"?
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

mikld wrote:Has anyone slugged the barrel of their 357/9mm? Perhaps oversize for the 9MM? I believe this would have a great effect on accuracy. Mebbe shooting oversize cast bullets? Like mebbe .357"?
Thats what I thought about doing if they would fit the 9mm case.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have tried .357 bullets in the 9mm. My die set don`t like that arrangement and taper crimping is a by guess and by golly operation but they shot fine. I was loading 125 gr. XTP`s. I don`t have a cast bullet mold for any bullet lighter than 158gr. and wont be spending the bux to get one just to try it.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I want a 45/45ACP vert when i can ---- on a single stage press, i cannot reload 45 Colt as fast as i can shoot it up seemingly --- my little 45 model 94 Trapper is very hungry :)

It'd be handy to be able to pick up some ACP plinking ammo on the way to the range at times
----- Doug
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Paladin wrote:This one shoots very well with either 9mm or .357 Mag. Was able to hit a 24in plate at 100 yards with either ammo. 9mm cheaper and no problems shooting it or ejecting.

Going out on a limb but would you be interested in selling?

Johnny

Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Streetstar wrote:I want a 45/45ACP vert when i can ---- on a single stage press, i cannot reload 45 Colt as fast as i can shoot it up seemingly --- my little 45 model 94 Trapper is very hungry :)

It'd be handy to be able to pick up some ACP plinking ammo on the way to the range at times
This combo is in the running too.

Johnny

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Charter Arms has a DA 9mm that does not require moon clips....
http://www.charterfirearms.com/products ... _79920.asp

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV