Apologies for abject behavior

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Apologies for abject behavior

Post by JohndeFresno »

For what it is worth, my opinion is that this forum is the best of its kind, and the one forum that I visit regularly. Its moderators have always been wise and even-handed in allowing posts and opinion sharing of even controversial and touchy subjects, as long as there is no individual flaming or abject vulgarity.

But still, one might post something that is not only distasteful, but offensive and of no usefulness to the readers.

I am guilty of this - a while back, and it has been bothering me. It is not necessary to drag up the details; the particular post has discreetly been removed. I have no doubt that those who were offended by that particular post will know what this post refers to, and it is mainly these people who I am addressing.

Whatever my opinion on a general subject, I characterized a whole region based upon my interaction with a handful of folks who behaved and talked in a certain way. Their actions should not have been imputed to a whole group of people in that state, and I opined unfairly in the heat of the topic.

Despite the "Sticks and stones" nonsense, words do matter. Words hurt. Words can break up friendships. And words can heal, support, advise, help. The world, I believe, was begun with a word. John 1:1 says, "In the beginning was the Word..."

Having said all of that, my actions were not those that are worthy of a believer, which is the subject of this post.

I won't say "If I offended..."

I say: "I know I offended several folks..." with my statement. It was not "a poor choice of words." It was flat wrong, for which I humbly apologize. One of those clearly offended later chose to resume communication with me. He is the better man.

Thank you, all, for being who you are. Apologies don't always come easy, so please believe that I regret my words; and in fact the unfair generalization that entered into my thought processes.

John
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Apologies for abject behavior

Post by williamranks »

Don't beat yourself up too much. You fell into the trap of the internet.
If you say something offensive to a person he'll either slap you or spit on your shoes and walk away. A keyboard won't do either.
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I don't know of the subject matter you are referring too, so apparently it wasn't too much of a dust up. Like you said, words can be hurtful, but some folks have mighty thin skin too. Far as I'm concerned, you are one of the finer gentlemen on the forum, John.
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

TedH wrote:I don't know of the subject matter you are referring too, so apparently it wasn't too much of a dust up. Like you said, words can be hurtful, but some folks have mighty thin skin too. Far as I'm concerned, you are one of the finer gentlemen on the forum, John.
What he said ^^^
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:
TedH wrote:I don't know of the subject matter you are referring too, so apparently it wasn't too much of a dust up. Like you said, words can be hurtful, but some folks have mighty thin skin too. Far as I'm concerned, you are one of the finer gentlemen on the forum, John.
What he said ^^^
+2. Emphasis added.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Let him who is without sin among us be the first to throw a stone."

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thanks, all. It's getting a bit uncomfortable, now with all the undeserved compliments, but let the posts show that this is indeed a site of great campfire partners.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Too often word choices are poor, misinterpreted, or sarcasm and humor don't come across - that's just the way the internet works. Nothin' we talk about here is worth getting worked-up about, even though it may be an issue we are passionate about. (Well, except those upstarts who think the 444 Marlin is a decent gun, instead of a pipsqueak 45-70 wannabe... :o :lol: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:Too often word choices are poor, misinterpreted, or sarcasm and humor don't come across - that's just the way the internet works. Nothin' we talk about here is worth getting worked-up about, even though it may be an issue we are passionate about. (Well, except those upstarts who think the 444 Marlin is a decent gun, instead of a pipsqueak 45-70 wannabe... :o :lol: )
:P Of course, Doc is always on drugs....so after you get your head around that, everything else falls into place... :lol: :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hah! Now that is just too funny! I was away for some years on some Harley forums devoted to "hot rodding" the venerable HD V-Twin as that was I was about for a time.

I have to say, the quality of people there is NOT EVEN CLOSE to the same as here, OK, except maybe for Blaine! :lol: Just kidding your "Tuba-ness!" :lol:

This place really is the most classy forum of ANY KIND on the internet! And its not just about the moderators. They can only do so much to correct things. Its about the quality of the people who reside here and the individual choices they make. Just like John did here.

I wasn't parley to what happened, but I know class when I see it, and this place has more class than any other.

While he is long absent, thanks once more to Paco for setting this place up, and for setting the standard for all other firearm forums. And thanks to Jim Taylor for still posting his adventures in Africa here. Darn good folk!

God Bless us all,

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

OK, except maybe for Blaine! :lol: Just kidding your "Tuba-ness!" :lol:
Bite me, your Turd-Ness..... :lol: :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Don't feel guilty John. Guilt is a man made emotion. What you did on one day, I do everyday and I manage to sleep 8 hours a night. :D

If you really want to see how many friends you have here, put up a post titled, "Can I Borrow 5 Thousand Dollars And I Won't Know When I Can Pay You Back?". The point made here is that you are not insulting friends, only casual acquaintances. Go ahead and keep insulting, its fun for twisted people like myself.---------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

We all get crosswise of one another at times. It happens whether you want to or not. If you feel bad about something, then it shows me that you are a person to ride the river with.

So far, there is not one person on this forum whom I would refuse to sit down and talk to over a cup of coffee. There may be a couple whom I like more than others, but that is the way it is with any group of humans, pack of dogs, or any other grouping of something you like where there are individuals.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hey Blaine, if there is any doubt, I'm just funnin' with you! :lol: We may not always agree but that sure would not be much fun would it? I think not! I appreciate you as my friend. I'm just not going to pick sides on some of the other disagreements here, and choose to be friends to one person over another. I base that upon my own personal relationships with the EACH of you and I refuse to let someone else's experience dictate to me how I should act. Everyone here has been very kind to me, and I DEEPLY appreciate that! My relationships here are my own, period.

And things do change, and we can all get along later. Its all good!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

CowboyTutt wrote:Hey Blaine, if there is any doubt, I'm just funnin' with you! :lol: We may not always agree but that sure would not be much fun would it? I think not! I appreciate you as my friend. I'm just not going to pick sides on some of the other disagreements here, and choose to be friends to one person over another. I base that upon my own personal relationships with the EACH of you and I refuse to let someone else's experience dictate to me how I should act. Everyone here has been very kind to me, and I DEEPLY appreciate that! My relationships here are my own, period.

And things do change, and we can all get along later. Its all good!

-Tutt
8) 8) 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

It's supposedly a free country so post what you wish !

But on the other hand just be prepared for those opposed to fire back .

I have no idea what post you made mention of so either it didn't offend me or intrest me .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

6pt, this is about your wife and that is the most important thing! I am so glad she is doing better! Some of the other forum members here don't always get along too well, but that's OK with me.

-Tutt

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Free country somewhere else. This goes by some interpretation of Paco's rules.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote:Free country somewhere else. This goes by some interpretation of Paco's rules.
And that's ok by me!

Although I do get a little tired of guys jumpin' on Terry... if you'd spent your life studyin' guns and ballistics... and have some guy just want you to regurgitate all that you know because he asks, "what's the difference between a mdl 94 Winch and a 336 Marlin," I fully understand his lack of sympathy.
Last edited by Griff on Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Yet you graciously and in detail provide information to all who ask or express interest. I salute your helping all who ask with respect and cheer.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Old Savage wrote:Free country somewhere else. This goes by some interpretation of Paco's rules.
May very well be !

But I'm usually gonna say what I feel and if someone removes it then s...h...i...t happens !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ah, yes....irony is often the best sort of humor.... :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV