OT: S&W 586 Question.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

OT: S&W 586 Question.

Post by Blackhawk »

Why would these screws be here?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: S&W 586 Question.

Post by horsesoldier03 »

My 586 never had those screws. Looks like it might have been for a scope mount possibly. Here is a link for a parts diagram. https://www.google.com/search?q=s%26w+5 ... 753%3B1275
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Neil Casper
Levergunner

Post by Neil Casper »

Shooting off the cuff...

It looks to me like someone may have drilled and tapped the barrel under lug to add weights or a light or other device. They may have added weights for PPC shooting. They could have left the screws in to protect the threads from damage and dirt. Speaking of which there seems to be a nasty accumulation in there.

There, those are my quick ideas. Any others?
neil
If it doesn't fit in my sea bag, I'm not going!
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Or a poor man's light rail.
Slow is just slow.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

+2 - Light rail base.

The screws appear to be the bevel-underheaded scope mount base screws.

Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

I'd also say those were to add a weight or light. Any decent gunsmith will have a pair of headless plug screws to "make them go away."
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Sorry......I had a double tap.
Last edited by wm on Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

That look a lot like a buddy of mines 686......his 686 was a 5" magna ported barreled model made up for the Michigan Stat Police. It was for a light.

The story I was told was the MSP armorer made a couple up special for the MSP swat/entry team. It seems the lead guy in using a shield had a tendency to hit the slide of his auto pistol with the edge of the shield in confined paces causing a stoppage but with only one hand available it was impossible for him to clear the weapon thus the return to a revolver. Furthermore I was told S&W liked the idea enough to make a 8 or 9 shot N frame in 9mm as a special LEO only, custom shop, big dollar special order, boy have I got a deal for you, you gotta get one of these while you can type item to offer to SWAT teams around the country/world.

The story could be BS but it makes sense to me.

Anyway my buddy mounted a small rail and a small light with a rat tail switch on the grip. He uses it as his 'things that go bump in the night' night stand firearm.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

A while back some company sold a weight you could attach, but I don't know how it was attached.

S&W does make the 8 shot 357 N frames with rails above & below the barrel. Eight rounds of 357Magnum should work as well as 8 rounds of 45ACP. Railed wheelguns are ugly (IMHO), but if it works then........
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

I found out that it was for a weight. Thank you all for the info.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin