Collath Single Shot 6.5x52R

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Collath Single Shot 6.5x52R

Post by 6pt-sika »

We got Damage Control Permits saturday for a 1,500 acre piece .

So I think I wanna finally blood this old Pre War Collath single shot rifle . I't marked 6.5x52R which is pretty much the euro designation for the 25-35 WIN . And as it just so happens I have a couple circa 1960's boxes of factroy ammo I can shoot in the little rifle . When I fired it a year or two ago it would keep 3 in about 1 1/2" at 100 yards .

Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Collath Single Shot 6.5x52R

Post by crs »

cool rifle.
Just what will you be culling with it?
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

crs wrote:cool rifle.

Deer !
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Beautiful workmanship. Does it have a 32 inch barrel? After reading your post I did some research on the manufacture and found a link I think you might find interesting, on old European hunting guns.

http://www.oldhuntingguns.com/Jagdgesch ... .html?&L=1
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

UncleBuck wrote:Beautiful workmanship. Does it have a 32 inch barrel? After reading your post I did some research on the manufacture and found a link I think you might find interesting, on old European hunting guns.

Thanks rather Intresting website ! I have this rifle a few drillings and shotguns that were made in Germany or Austria , but I would really like to get my hands on a nice old "Vierling" in maybe 16-16-6.5x57R and 22 Hornet .
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That is a very nice looking rifle.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

6pt-sika wrote:
UncleBuck wrote:Beautiful workmanship. Does it have a 32 inch barrel? After reading your post I did some research on the manufacture and found a link I think you might find interesting, on old European hunting guns.

Thanks rather Intresting website ! I have this rifle a few drillings and shotguns that were made in Germany or Austria , but I would really like to get my hands on a nice old "Vierling" in maybe 16-16-6.5x57R and 22 Hornet .

oh my !!! you are singing my song. i have been looking for an affordable vierling [ or the even more rare funfling, the five barrel one ] for years. wish i had snagged one years ago. would like mine to have a 12x12x9.3x74Rx 22 hornet or such.
cable
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

6pt-sika wrote:
crs wrote:cool rifle.

Deer !

that is a beautiful kipplaufbuchsen.. i guess the enlish would call it a stalking rifle.
cable
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

hfcable wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:

oh my !!! you are singing my song. i have been looking for an affordable vierling [ or the even more rare funfling, the five barrel one ] for years. wish i had snagged one years ago. would like mine to have a 12x12x9.3x74Rx 22 hornet or such.
I saw a hammer drilling a couple months ago that was sold at a Rock Island or Julia auction . It was 10 gauge , 10 gauge and a I think 9.3x74R or 72R . That would be kinda cool also with 25-35 for the fourth barrel .
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

that would be a great one. 20 years ago, i was set to order one from Joseph Hambrusch in austria. a vierling with double 12 ga 3" with 9.3 x 74R and 22 hornet, with dual firing pin and adapter so that it could also use 22 lr and a second set of barrels with 9.3x 74 R double rifle, with 12 ga below and 22 hornet. would have set me back about 6500.00 but would probably bring over 20 grand now.

they sent me prictures of a gun they made for a scottish man who also had a large place in africa 10 ga x 10 ga over 375 H and H with additional barrel set with 375 double rifle over 10 ga below and final barrel set that was 10 x 10 over 10 ga..... dont know how much that cost.
cable
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

hfcable wrote:that would be a great one. 20 years ago, i was set to order one from Joseph Hambrusch in austria. a vierling with double 12 ga 3" with 9.3 x 74R and 22 hornet, with dual firing pin and adapter so that it could also use 22 lr and a second set of barrels with 9.3x 74 R double rifle, with 12 ga below and 22 hornet. would have set me back about 6500.00 but would probably bring over 20 grand now.

they sent me prictures of a gun they made for a scottish man who also had a large place in africa 10 ga x 10 ga over 375 H and H with additional barrel set with 375 double rifle over 10 ga below and final barrel set that was 10 x 10 over 10 ga..... dont know how much that cost.
I don't remmember which but seems to me either Krieghoff , Merkel or Blaser is making a double rifle shotgun drilling now . That would be intresting to have also . Although I kinda prefer the old Pre War guns if I have my druthers !

Of my four I've got a 12 7x57R Sauer drilling and a Kerner 16 7x57R drilling . The Kerner has scope bases but I don't have the rings which are a small fortune from NECG . I'd actually be happy with a nice scoped drilling in 16-16 and the rifle being 6.5x57R , 7x57R or 8x57JSR (well whatever the designation is for the .323") .
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

i like drillings and since i was a youngster i had wanted a drilling and have had several and still have a few:

a very nice pre-war drilling by Carl Calz of dusseldorf, circa 1933, 12 x 12 x 9.3 x 74R, really well balanced and pretty wood.

a very old Collath Hammer drilling, 12 x 12 x 9.3 x 72R

a Halang and Bachner, beautiful early hammer drilling, 16 x 16 x 45/70 which is really neat

a 16 x 16 x 9.3 x 72R hammer gun [ kettner ] , which has been refinished but had a rough finish, though still tight

a pre-war JP Sauer, 16 x 16 with rifle barrel originally 6.5 x 52R which has been relined to 22 Lr; this gun has factory 24" barrels, and is really nice all around game and small game gun.

JP Sauer 12 x 12 x 30/06 with claw mounted scope

and a really fine JP Sauer 12 x 12 x 30/06 that someone brought back in the early 50s, fitted with claw mounted zeiss 2x7, and a second fitted claw mounted huge Nickel 3x12 scope. it also has fitted to it an 'einstuckelaufe', insert barrel for one of the shotgun barrel, in 22 wmf and an insert for that insert that handles 22 lr. overall this makes for a ridiculously intricate complex and WONDERFUL gun that appeals to my germanic heritage.

the only other that i guess qualifies is a triple barrel 12 ga 3" that is a 12 x 12 over a 12.....a trilling.
cable
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Another stunning piece, 6-pt. If you have slugged the bore, what were the land and groove dimensions?
Great choice for the intended purpose.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Another stunning piece, 6-pt. If you have slugged the bore, what were the land and groove dimensions?
Great choice for the intended purpose.
I've never slugged anything to be totally honest .

If I cast for anything I use relatively soft lead and a couple thousandths large seems to actually help .

The last 4 or 5 years I cast for variouse 30-30's I sized at .312" and it actually improved over the results I had gotten with .309" and .310" !
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Don't y'all know a .25-35 won't actually kill deer? Someplace I have a book that says that. Fortunately my memory is bad and I took my T-C .25-35 carbine out and shot a nice blacktail fork before I remembered it can't be done.... And a couple of tasty pigs because it doesn't say you can't kill those.

All kidding and "traditional" ignorance aside, the new .257 bullets make a .25-35 single shot a serious deer rifle. Mine likes even the unleaded Barnes bullets we are required to use in our part of CA.

Your Collath is a truly beautiful rifle!
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Gorgeous!! I hope you will keep us posted on your results, and the effectiveness on game.
.25-35 is a fascinating caliber, to me.

Thanks,
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

John in MS wrote:Gorgeous!! I hope you will keep us posted on your results, and the effectiveness on game.
.25-35 is a fascinating caliber, to me.

Thanks,
John
I had a Marlin 1893 in 25-36 Marlin a couple years back . Now a fellow in Texas has it !

I used to shoot the Lyman 257325 bullet in it pushed with XMP5744 . Often wish I'd plunked a deer with that rifle before I let it go .

Suppose I can make up for it with this little single shot :wink: