cleaning and sorting out: model 1895s

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

cleaning and sorting out: model 1895s

Post by hfcable »

top to bottom : 45/70 , 303 savage, 405 WCF

kinda fun :) all three are good shooters, with excellent bores.
cable
BrentD

Re: cleaning and sorting out: model 1895s

Post by BrentD »

When I saw the subject line I though "now which 95 does he mean?" Obviously, you meant all of them. Any favorite among the three? I like the top one the best. I suppose that's why I have one (under reconstruction).
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

hard to choose. the 45/70 is my all time favorite caliber, and that marlin is very smooth and fast action.

course the 405 with the ' aftrican ' express sights is probably the coolest.

and the 1895 savage is a rarely seen item.
cable
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

and i really dodged answering that didn't i ?

well, for going and out and using it.....the marlin 1895 45/70 is my favorite.
cable
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Well, the Marlin is the nicest to me, by far. You should be proud of that one in such nice condition.

Here is how mine arrived. The wood was replacement and not usable. The mainspring was junk and nonfunctional. Lots of strange holes in strange places. A barrel that didn't belong on that rifle, and the mag tube was something hacked from a modern 95 Marlin. And on and on. But soon it will be operational and by winter, it will be completely rebuilt to original condition. It won't be a cool as yours, but it will go moose hunting in AK in 2015.

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~jessie/P ... 13%20A.jpg
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Nice 95's Harold.......that Savage really caught my attention.----6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

If you don't mind me asking, in what ways does the '95 Savage differ from the '99? I've read several times that the '99 was an improvement on the earlier model but never any specifics. Thanks,

Eric
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

P.S.
Nice set!

Eric
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

All very nice!!!!
the Savage stands out for me also

ollogger
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Very nice! And a nice picture of them, too.

My 303 Savage (1899 model, not as cool as your 1895...) had been sitting in the safe not getting any appreciation. And then a few weeks ago I got to playing around with some light loads for several of the levers thinking I was building them for the grandkids. And the old 303 is so much fun to shoot with a 150 grain cast Plain-base bullet pushed by 8.2 grains of Green Dot powder (about 1300 fps) that it has been getting regular use. Just like plinking with a 32/20, but the brass is easier to find.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

yooper2 wrote:If you don't mind me asking, in what ways does the '95 Savage differ from the '99? I've read several times that the '99 was an improvement on the earlier model but never any specifics. Thanks,

Eric

i don't know a lot about the differences, though they were mostly internal-- the bolt changed, having a different recoil shoulder. also the noticeable difference is that the 1895 bolt has a 'hole' in the top of the bolt, to allow checking the firing pin status. that is the one immediately visible clue.

the savage 1895 is a pretty hard gun to find in reasonable condition. i got this one from bill goodman in bozeman MT; he has been a good source of nice items for me. i like guns that have been used, but not ruined, and that way i don't feel bad about taking them out to use some more. i have sent some really high condition guns ' on down the road' rather than take them out and lower their value.
Last edited by hfcable on Thu May 29, 2014 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
cable
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Thanks for sharing, it'd be fun to take them apart side by side and see everything that was going on there.

Eric
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

yooper2 wrote:Thanks for sharing, it'd be fun to take them apart side by side and see everything that was going on there.

Eric

with my lack of talent, i would be lucky to get them back together and working again :D
cable
jorgy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jorgy »

Is the 45-70 a lightweight model? If it is should be 22" barrel. Very nice gun & hard to find too.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

What a lovely trio of rifles, Cable! May I see a closeup of the African express sight on your Winchester? I have been developing a powerful jones to have one of these great lever guns, and will probably mount the Providence M21 if and when I get my hands on one.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Bill in Oregon wrote:What a lovely trio of rifles, Cable! May I see a closeup of the African express sight on your Winchester? I have been developing a powerful jones to have one of these great lever guns, and will probably mount the Providence M21 if and when I get my hands on one.

will do, though it probably won't happen until this weekend.

the 21 is a better sight than the express sight, in practical terms, but on the 405 the express does raise images of teddy roosevelt and africa.
cable
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

jorgy wrote:Is the 45-70 a lightweight model? If it is should be 22" barrel. Very nice gun & hard to find too.

i don't think it is a true lightweight. but it does have a nice balance , especially with the half magazine. i think the barrel is longer, but i will check this weekend.
cable
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Bill in Oregon wrote:What a lovely trio of rifles, Cable! May I see a closeup of the African express sight on your Winchester? I have been developing a powerful jones to have one of these great lever guns, and will probably mount the Providence M21 if and when I get my hands on one.
finally got some closeups of the express sight [ it is not rusty, that is just congealed RIG , rust inhibiting grease, should have wiped it down before these photos:

the rifle and the sight actually have most of the bluing and most of the original varnish/finish...it is a very good shooter too.
cable
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks for those closeups, Cable! I have never seen that sight before. You have a doozy there!
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

thanks. it is pretty rare, more so in the last few years. i like these unusual sights. to some extent, it shows how well they could solve problems well before optics became common.
cable
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I've never forgiven myself for passing up a 303 Savage takedown in 90% cosmetic condition but 100% mechanical condition (rebuilt by gunsmith at the Gander Mountain in Dundee, MI where it was for sale) back in 2003.

They were asking $280 with vintage tang sights & a scope mount with a fixed 4 power weaver on it. Not having reloading dies, worried about components, not excited about the caliber (I was hell bent on finding a 308 Win, 300 Sav or 358 Win), and being rushed for time as the place was crowded during their annual clearance sales event of stuff of returned or not turned over quickly enough stuff, and this was on our way out of state on hunting trip so I didn't want to empty my traveling budget before even hardly getting on the road I passed on it.

All very logical reasons for doing what I did. Nevertheless that is cold comfort now. Since then I have accumulated dies and cases, learned 308 bullets work just fine in most if not all the 303 Savage rifles, and found the ballistics to be simply perfect for Michigan whitetail and hog hunting. Wouldn't even hesitate to take it Black bear hunting.

Live and learn I guess......I'm not going to let the next bargain that falls into my lap get away .
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

that would have been a good buy and fun hunting gun !
cable