In search of the perfect sausage gravy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

In search of the perfect sausage gravy

Post by earlmck »

Fellow levergunner JNG recently posted on his search for "the perfect biscuit". Many years ago I became satisfied with a sourdough biscuit recipe and haven't changed since.
BiscuitsInPan.jpg
My search continues to be for the sausage to make the gravy that goes on those biscuits.

Lots of years ago (so long ago I was still a college student) I lived around the corner from a little ma/pa market whose business "edge" was their meat counter. They made their own sausage, and a big part of the recipe was the use of unsold picnic hams. That was the best sausage I ever ate and I've been searching for a match ever since.

My staple at this time is Jimmy Dean (a pound of the Regular plus about a third pound of the hot). Then I will usually dice up a bit of bacon and/or ham to go along with it, and everything crumble-fried fairly crispy. This is reasonably satisfactory, but still not "perfect" in my opinion.
BandGserved.jpg
What should I try next?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: In search of the perfect sausage gravy

Post by Tycer »

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Hungarian
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hungarian »

Super easy for those interested in making gravy:

1 lb roll of jimmy dean hot sausage or similar brand hot sausage
1/4 cup flour
2 cups of milk

Brown sausage, do not drain and add flour and coat sausage. Pour in 2 cups of milk and bring to boil for 3 minutes and then simmer until you get the thickness you want...usually takes me 9-10 minutes. It will also thicken as it cools. Pour over biscuits and enjoy. The hot sausage is the best.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Hungarian wrote:Super easy for those interested in making gravy:

1 lb roll of jimmy dean hot sausage or similar brand hot sausage
1/4 cup flour
2 cups of milk

Brown sausage, do not drain and add flour and coat sausage. Pour in 2 cups of milk and bring to boil for 3 minutes and then simmer until you get the thickness you want...usually takes me 9-10 minutes. It will also thicken as it cools. Pour over biscuits and enjoy. The hot sausage is the best.
I have done this, and my family does not leave anything for later. My son has been known to lick the pan clean.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The above is all great....NOW, add a few spoons of mushroom soup from the can, and brown sesame oil.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Jimmy Dean used to have a sage flavor as well. We used to mix 1/2 sage and 1/2 hot to make gravy. I noticed the sausage got leaner as well over the years to the point that you had to put bacon grease in it to have enough fat to make gravy.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

my mom has both - her biscuits are beyond light, her "milk gravy" will stand a fork.

I make very good gravy myself - I don't think you can actually measure it - it's a feedback thing - you know it's cooking right when you push a spatula through it.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Local outfit called Greers makes Ranch House sausage. They put the whole hog in it and it's great. But! One of the spices is MSG which my wife is allergic to. Gives her migrains that are terrible. We used Greers until she figured out the MSG thing so now she reads the labels. The latest is Red Bud Farms that has ham and bacon in it. Tastes sorta like Spam.
One of the Colonel's 11 herbs and spices is MSG too so we avoid him as well. Strangely, the two local chinese places don't use MSG. Same family from Hong Kong in both of them.
Farmland brand that says sage on it is pretty good too with no MSG. They have several flavors.
Of course I have a recipe somewhere from when I raised hogs and made my own. I'll see if I can find it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I use Owens hot sausage. Brown it, take it from the pan, leaving the oil/crumbles. Put in the flour and brown a bit, add milk and stir. I then crumble up some of the sausage and put it back in the thickening gravy. Add salt/pepper and a dash of ground hot pepper. Let thicken.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Rusty wrote:Jimmy Dean used to have a sage flavor as well. We used to mix 1/2 sage and 1/2 hot to make gravy. I noticed the sausage got leaner as well over the years to the point that you had to put bacon grease in it to have enough fat to make gravy.
They still have the sage flavor and I like it quite well but "the boss" doesn't like it as well so I use regular. And you don't need near as much of that there grease as some of us used to think, Rusty. The little bit in today's lean Jimmy Dean is more than plenty to make fine gravy.

My recipe must be about the same as Hungarian's recipe, but I don't measure anything so I'm not quite sure. I just sprinkle in a little flour until the meat is coated and dry (no liquid grease remaining) and then sploosh in milk until it makes about the right volume. I think I may be using a bit less flour and a bit more milk than Hungarian's recipe, but don't know for sure. Maybe next time I make gravy I'll measure stuff and see.

Sounds like there are some good sausage's out there I would really love to be able to try but around this town I only can get Jimmy Dean or the store brand. One of our stores has nice sausage but it just doesn't have quite enough spices and I add extra if I use it. Jimmy comes in about right for my crew here.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

"The Professor" has some recipes on youtube. I wanted to try his bacon gravy some time for a change of pace. He was a regular on the bushcraft forum for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mysiBE3qX1k
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

In my wife's mind all you need for biscuits n gravy is bacon grease. She doesn't care if there's sausage or not.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Rusty wrote:In my wife's mind all you need for biscuits n gravy is bacon grease. She doesn't care if there's sausage or not.
I'm with your wife. Bacon grease makes everything better!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Rusty wrote:In my wife's mind all you need for biscuits n gravy is bacon grease. She doesn't care if there's sausage or not.
+1 !!! There is nothing like Okie milk gravy made with bacon grease/ drippings, browned in flour and over homemade biscuits. Even with 1% milk it will still curl you toes....possibly grow an arm back if you got it caught in the combine.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8