Finally got it back!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Finally got it back!!

Post by Thunder50 »

OK, you are wondering what I am talking about.

Looking thru things stored at my Grandparents house, I came across this rifle. Guess my Father had picked it up at sometime and had been sitting in a closet ever since his bomber crashed. Found it when I was about 18 and messed with it a bit, but bore was bad and after trying to get it to shoot, just left it alone. Sis got married, and years later wanted some old Winchester to hang over the fireplace, so lent her the gun. Don't think it ever made it over the mantle, just in her closet.

Finally, now after about 35 years, its back in my hands. Think I want to restore it to shooting condition. This means a barrel reline and a bit of work. No finish left (my fault back then)and a bit rusty/pitted, (sisters fault, you should see the Ruger MKI I lent her-piece of rust).
Hammer has been broken at some time and forearm is cracked, but basically all there, except for a dust cover. Looks like it might have been a full mag gun at some time, but must have gotten dented and then shortened.

Its a 32-20. Any helpful hints on getting this old gun back in shooting condition?
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Finally got it back!!

Post by Griff »

Reline it an' leave the rest of it alone... Shoot it and enjoy. Make up good stories to go with its blemishes! :P :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

What Griff said, but you might wanna get a new hammer for it too.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

Looks like maybe the hammer may have been cut down a bit? I have read several times that alot of the 73's got the hammers cut down because they stuck out and caught on things, easy fix I guess.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Ger 'er relined. One of my favorites is a '92 in 32-20 that I had relined and then had NKJ slick up the action.
I kinda like the look of that hammer just the way it is. Will probably shoot more accurately with the short magazine.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Waste of your time, forget about it, just box it up and send it to my address i'll send you. Anyway congrats.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

try shooting it. if it works okay, dont reline.

find a hammer, and go for it.
cable
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

hfcable wrote:try shooting it. if it works okay, dont reline. Find a hammer, and go for it.
Yep. And if it doesn't shoot accurately, get it relined.

One MORE thing though - don't "hot-rod" it - if you want to get 30 Carbine ballistics, get a modern reproduction.

With the price of 22 LR these days, reloading 32-20 to 'cowboy' load levels provides twice the punch, and twice the fun, for no more cost than 22 LR.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "