Whats your field carry knife? Thoughts?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Whats your field carry knife? Thoughts?

Post by Blackhawk »

How well do the 420HC blades from Buck take an edge? Hard to do or easy? Im not that great at sharpening. But still learning. Also anyone give some edge holding & sharpening on 1095? TOPS makes a knife in the USA I'm interested in getting.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Buck 112 or Buck 105 knives have served me well for more than 3 decades!

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Rifleman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman »

Blackhawk wrote:How well do the 420HC blades from Buck take an edge? Hard to do or easy?
I sharpen my Buck before deer season and it holds it's edge through gutting, skinning, then about halfway through butchering the first deer. Then I'll take a few minutes to get it sharp again; and then again after butchering, (just so I know it is sharp in the field.)
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I used to carry a USMC KA-BAR and a small KA-BAR skinner but I found that more isn't always better.
These days I carry a Puma old timer, and if that isn't enough I go and get a chainsaw or an axe.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

My dad was never one for big knives for hunting. He gave me a Buck 102 when I was a kid that I still carry. I gave one to all three of our boys also. Dad was right in that they work great for working game and aren't in the way the rest of the time.

I've been looking at a lot of knives lately for more general purpose or "woods loafing" chores. I've seen some real beauties but the more I think about it the more I think I will just carry my 102 and my old Snow and Neally Hudson Bay axe. It's rigged for a sling and is very handy.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

In the field I usually have this little gem around my neck for a
backup for field dressing. Handmade & razor sharp.

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

piller wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:
Mescalero wrote:Everyone I have seen was a piece of junk.
It's a really great idea, but IMEX the implementation is poor...

Of course, forget the no-name knockoffs, but I'd like to find a Leatherman style tool that will stand up to Fencing and Blasting as well as fixing an old PC.

(Note - I LOVE my Leatherman/RadioShack Micra. Itnis the PERFECT Geek Tool. But I want my Wave or whatever to be a bit more durable than something designed for sub 14 ga wire....
I have not seen any multi-tool that is designed for heavy work since their purpose is being small and light. They were originally designed for fixing bicycles on long trips, such as the one that Tim Leatherman took after graduating with his engineering degree. He found the tools of the time to be less than ideal for his purposes and developed his own tool to rectify the situation. Handling steel wire such as barbed wire is not really a realistic goal of a small pocket tool. If you want a better knife blade, then check out the Leatherman Charge with the 154CM blade. That steel is about as good as stainless can get. As far as wanting a folding, small, light pocket tool to stand up to fencing and blasting, well, the design limits and material limits sort of get in the way.
I think I have found the "right" Leatherman... the MUT.

Available in Armorer & EOD, with replaceable hardened wirecutting blades/blasting cap crimper, slitter blade, Bronze carbon scraper, front-sight tool, gun disasembly punch/C4-punch, cleaning jigg sockets, etc. PLUS a really nice semi tanto/fishbelly blade design and a "hammer".

Not as many Tools as a Surge (no scissors or file...) but has the tools I use most and is designed around HARD milspec use...
The MUT prototype was used for 6 weeks by a group of Marines, Soldiers and Corpsmen in Afghanistan. It was used to maintain M4s, M16s, M2s, M240s and M249s. Everyone loved the shape of the bronze carbon scraper. the punch came in handy as did the shroud cutter. One of the first guys to use the tool was a Chief corpsman that used the shroud cutter to expose a wounded Marines’s leg after an IED strike.

Soldiers commented that the tool had the tools they most used on their Gerbers while adding useful weapon maintenance tools. Another plus is the ability to replace worn cutter blades and the bronze scraper on the spot.

The made in America MUT- Military Utility Tool – is just that, a military tool. Sure, it’s a gun tool, too. But, it’s got some serious field utility built in. It’s highly polished and useful tool that can adapt to nearly any task with the proper accessory bits. You should see the MUT in AAFES for $120-130.
And the best bit? ...
The hammer piece even looks like the shoulder thingy that goes up.
:twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I have a Leatherman PST II. It's small enough to comfortably carry in my pocket, I don't think I'd want a larger one. I pocket carry it most of the time now, at first it was just when I carried my pistol belt. I dont like messing around with taking things on and off my belt when putting my gunbelt on, so it stays in the pocket now.

I thought they were pretty goofy when I first saw them, but when I laid hands on one for a while, I liked it. I was wanting a pair of pliers to carry to pull porky quills from my dog, the faster you pull them the less they hurt coming out. The extra tools were just gravy. No, they aren't a heavy duty tool, or even the "right" tool for most jobs, but being handy, is the tool that gets used the most. I don't try to cut fence wire, or even use the knife much. I'd be happy to swap the knife for another useful tool, as I always have a real knife (or 3). Hate the serrated part of the blade, that's just wasted blade to me.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

casastahle wrote:In the field I usually have this little gem around my neck for a
backup for field dressing. Handmade & razor sharp.

I like that a lot. What is the purpose of the notches in the blade? Looks counter-productive to me, just wondering.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It would make a dandy wire stripper..... :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

BlaineG wrote:It would make a dandy wire stripper..... :idea:
I would like to fathom its purpose. It looks to me like it would hinder slitting hide and opening abdomens, but would like to know if that's true or false.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

I asked the maker the same question.
No reason, he just likes to add some artistry to his knives.
I've found that there's no hindrance whatsoever.
I've never needed much more than half the tip end of the blade anyway. 8)
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

rogn wrote:The little Gerber LST is always in my pocket, ...I did lose one to TSA...
I've heard of people losing things to TSA. Does anyone ever carry a prepaid mailing envelope to mail things home that they may not let you take on a plane (or forgot you had)?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Malamute wrote:
rogn wrote:The little Gerber LST is always in my pocket, ...I did lose one to TSA...
I've heard of people losing things to TSA. Does anyone ever carry a prepaid mailing envelope to mail things home that they may not let you take on a plane (or forgot you had)?
I lost a little 2" Old Timer folder to them....I'd had that pup for 20 years :evil: . I tried to give him my card, and twenty bucks to mail it to me. :roll: :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Image I really like this knife.....it's offered as a kit from Track of the Wolf. Tycer got this one from me, and I liked it enough that I am making another one.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8