Twist Rate of barrel for very old Winchester 94 32 Special

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Twist Rate of barrel for very old Winchester 94 32 Special

Post by daisygordoninc »

I have a very old 94 in 32 Special, it has a 26 inch barrel. It has to be in the first year or two of the
32 Special production. Does Madis talk about twist rates in barrels in his book, I don't remember seeing
that? Anyone come across this information ? I'm wondering about stabilizing a heavy cast bullet in it.

Gordon
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Twist Rate of barrel for very old Winchester 94 32 Speci

Post by arjunky »

Pretty sure most are 1 in 16".
Byron
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I'm not aware of a change in twist for 32WS. It has always had a much slower twist than 30wcf so as to be loaded with black powder and cast bullets.
There was some resistance initially to 30wcf because components weren't readily available (jacketed bullets, smokeless powder) to reload shells. The idea behind the 32 was to buy factories with smokeless and jacketed bullets but be able to easily reload with black powder and cast. By 1902 when the 32WS was introduced, much of these problems were moot.

So yes, the 32WS will shoot fine with cast. Not sure what you mean by ''heavy'' though. I've only used 165's. I don't know how heavy you can go before having feed problems in the 94.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Doc.Holliday
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Doc.Holliday »

Yes 1 in 16; Mine really shines with a 177 gr cast bullet
“Doc was a dentist whom necessity had made a gambler; a philosopher whom life had made a caustic wit; a long, lean, ash-blond fellow nearly dead from consumption, at the same time the most skilful gambler and the nerviest, speediest, deadliest man with a six-gun I ever knew.”
Wyatt Earp: San Francisco Examiner-August 2,1896

Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

OldWin wrote:I'm not aware of a change in twist for 32WS. It has always had a much slower twist than 30wcf so as to be loaded with black powder and cast bullets.
There was some resistance initially to 30wcf because components weren't readily available (jacketed bullets, smokeless powder) to reload shells. The idea behind the 32 was to buy factories with smokeless and jacketed bullets but be able to easily reload with black powder and cast. By 1902 when the 32WS was introduced, much of these problems were moot.

So yes, the 32WS will shoot fine with cast. Not sure what you mean by ''heavy'' though. I've only used 165's. I don't know how heavy you can go before having feed problems in the 94.

How sure are you about the 1902 date? Previously I had been told it was older than that.
Merle from PA
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I'm pretty sure. If I'm mistaken, someone with more knowledge than me will be along to confirm I don't know what I'm talking about. :lol:

I have seen many examples of early receivers that have been factory re-barreled to 32W.S.
As the cartridge wasn't a huge seller, a re-barrel was a good opportunity for the factory to use barrels on hand.
I have an 1897 mfd. 94 rifle that was returned and they put a complete model 64 front end in 32WS on it. They stamped it as a model 94.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW: The issue has been pretty well documented.

**********************************************************************************************************

* The .32 Winchester Special cartridge was introduced in 1901.

**********************************************************************************************************

* The 1st .32 Special Model 1894 Rifle, by date of shipment, was SN 107731 - assembled & sent to the warehouse on Sept 5, 1901, then shipped on Sept 18, 1901.

(There are many .32 Special Model 1894's with a lower SN, but were actually shipped later. )

* The absolutely lowest SN .32 Special Model 1894 Rifle is SN 10675 - assembled & sent to the warehouse on Aug 23, 1902, then shipped on Aug 27, 1902.

******************************************************************************************************************

* The 1st .32 Special Model 1894 Carbine, by date of shipment, was SN 142899 - assembled & sent to the warehouse on May 10, 1902, then shipped on May 12, 1902.

* The absolutely lowest SN .32 Special Model 1894 Carbine, is SN 22967 - assembled & sent to the warehouse on Aug 27, 1902 & shipped on Aug 29, 1902.

***************************************************************************************************************

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sun May 11, 2014 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Oldwin. I too have an early 1894 (1914) that was rebarrelled with a model 64 32 special front end.. It was proofed as a gunsmith rebarrel not a factory job. The barrel is stamped model 64 and is in perfect shape inside.
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Les,
That's neat. I've seen a few of these, both factory and non. I hope yours shoots like mine. It is one of the most accurate lever action Winchesters I've ever owned. They showed it some attention as the action is very slick and the trigger is nice. It also had a 56 Lyman installed and a filler put in the slot. I find the balance of this rifle perfect. I prefer the straight gripped crescent butt to the pistol grip of a normal 64 so its like it was made for me.

I also have a 38-55 SRC that was rebarreled with a nickel steel replacement barrel such as yours was. It has a unique large font Winchester stamp in lightning bolt letters.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

I'm having Grizzly make some special order 200 gr. gas check cast bullets for it. Andy said they have
had other orders for the same and that people have had success shooting them with their 32 SP so I
will give them a try in a few weeks. Thanks for all the great info.