Your shooting table building plans, ideas and experience....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Your shooting table building plans, ideas and experience....

Post by mod71alaska »

I am soliciting shooting table CONSTRUCTION PLANS, PHOTOS of your tables, and your BEST IDEAS "tested under fire" to incorporate into building solid (rifle) shooting tables. I want to build two moveable (but not necessarily portable) tables. One will be for 50-100 yard target shooting, the other for long distance target shooting out to 300 yards. They will be in different locations on the property.

Thanks!
Mod71
BrentD

Re: Your shooting table building plans, ideas and experience

Post by BrentD »

This is a portable bench that I made some years ago. It is hollow core construction so it is very rigid and relatively light, and not too expensive.

BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I built this one about 10 years ago out of left over treated deck boards and 2x4's and it is still is solid today. It is on landscape timbers , so I push it around with the lawn mower when mowing. I can drag it to where I want with a tow strap and ATV . It is set up for left and right hand shooters and it is also nice for someone spotting to have a place to sit.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I made this one. I needed to be able to lift it, but I wanted it to be staple on uneven ground. Thus both table and seat are three legged. I put a blanket over it to shoot.

Owen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Victor,
This one is heavy, solid, portable, and will even provide shelter if it starts to rain. :D

Hey, on a serious note, nothing is more worthless than a shooting table that's light and wobbles. Make it at least a couple of hundred pounds. Make it to the size where you can slide it on to a heavy four by eight piece of 3/4" plywood. Lag bolt a 4 x 4 to the front of the plywood with 2 "D" rings so you can drag it with your 4 wheelers. ----6

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

bench3_000.jpg
I emailed the plans to you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm not sure I'd shoot for record on it, but, I use one of these that easy to carry around to different rural locations (I don't have a personal range). Equipment and sand bags more or less keep it steady.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

A good bench does not have to be heavy. It has to be rigid, and it has to be stable.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

BrentD wrote:A good bench does not have to be heavy. It has to be rigid, and it has to be stable.
If other shooters don't touch, or fiddle with their stuff on the table, it is...

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Why would there be other shooters on the bench, or their stuff?

But still, weight is unnecessary if you have rigidity and stability. Those are the two issues that matter.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

BrentD wrote:Why would there be other shooters on the bench, or their stuff?

But still, weight is unnecessary if you have rigidity and stability. Those are the two issues that matter.
Not everybody is thoughtful enough to bring their own...I do have a smaller one that I'll bring if I think I'll need it....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Regarding the pic Blain posted; those legs with a 3/4" plywood top (a bit shorter than the 6') would make a good, portable shooting table. Mebbe even sandwich 2, 1/2" slabs of plywood for added weight...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Like 6 I usually shoot off the hood. Mostly my '78 GMC one ton with the crane on it. Guess I could put the outriggers down if the wind is blowing and I need it real stable.
Caution!! If you are looking through a high powered scope and scanning for targets, (prairie dogs), keep track of how close the muzzle is to the windshield. No, it wasn't me but I was in the truck.
I really like the design of that 3 legged setup hightime posted.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

No pictures, but a sheet of 3/4" plywood, a couple of C-clamps and a Black & Decker Workmate and you have a stable solid setup that is tall enough for most people.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

For compact shooting I tried a tripod shooting stick idea to go with my little tripod walking stool. I have no pictures but will work something up for the summer.

The folks in the UK and Africa like these shooting sticks. Not bench stable but surprisingly adjustable, simple, and outstanding portability. Matched to a little stool they are surprisingly accurate supports and comfortable. My next one might even be a old modified camera tripod.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Thanks for proving my point :roll:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/739045 ... ting-bench

Victor, I didn't build this, but I have a table like this and it is very good. The table is laminated. I use it off the back porch to shoot at targets and have used it for 8 to 10 hours a day shooting prairie dogs. It folds up flat and is portable. I have considered adding lawnmower wheels to mine so I could drag it instead of toting it.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

vancelw wrote:

Thanks for proving my point :roll:

You are most welcome puppy dog. The point is still both relevant and correct.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Vancelw: my wife came home from a run to the dumpsters about a mile away from the house and told me there was something I better go check out someone had leaned up against the trash bin.. Turned out to be the shooting bench you linked to. San Angelo portable shooting bench.. Couple coats of enamel and tightened a few bolts.. Works good...
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

My half brother did the mirror on a Jeep like that.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Mescalero wrote:My half brother did the mirror on a Jeep like that.

I did one on my Toyota FJ40 about 30 years ago, wife has still not let me forget it, she was there and saw it, thought it would be forever before she quit laughing. :oops:
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

It is funny................... after the shock wears off and you figure out everyone is ok.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

One time I was sitting the bed of my truck, shooting my 270 on sandbags over the cab. Got done and went to leave and discovered a nice crack the entire width of my windshield. :oops:
NRA Life Member
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Rolled up coveralls on the hood of my TJ is still my favorite. A thermos of double cream coffee and Timbits, donut holes from Tim Horton's, is almost more important than the rifle!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Les Staley wrote:Vancelw: my wife came home from a run to the dumpsters about a mile away from the house and told me there was something I better go check out someone had leaned up against the trash bin.. Turned out to be the shooting bench you linked to. San Angelo portable shooting bench.. Couple coats of enamel and tightened a few bolts.. Works good...
I don't think mine is San Angelo brand (I bought it from Cabelas) but it is the exact same construction. Some kinda funky orange instead of green. I usually use sandbags on a bench but I've used the support on this table to sight in rifles and make long shots on prairie rats. I'll shoot for a while until targets get scarce then get up and rotate my table 90 degrees and settle back in for a while. Need to rig me an umbrella holder on it, too, to keep the sun off :D
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

vancelw wrote: make long shots on prairie rats. I'll shoot for a while until targets get scarce then get up and rotate my table 90 degrees and settle back in for a while. Need to rig me an umbrella holder on it, too, to keep the sun off :D
I've got to try that one of these days.
NRA Life Member
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

TedH wrote:
vancelw wrote: make long shots on prairie rats. I'll shoot for a while until targets get scarce then get up and rotate my table 90 degrees and settle back in for a while. Need to rig me an umbrella holder on it, too, to keep the sun off :D
I've got to try that one of these days.
If you ever make it to the Quigley the same time I'm there, we'll go slaughter a few.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Thanks for the help, Guys. Keep your photos and ideas coming. Some good ones already.
Thanks. Mod71
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

6" reinforced concrete wedge shaped top.
Base from treated wood 4"x4" tri-legged.
Separate stool from 2"x 6" treated wood.

Top fastened to base with an anchor rod in base at each leg and sleeve halfway in bottom section of top. Can be put on and removed if needed.

Since we did eight of them had the forms filled at local concrete plant then picked two days later.
Very reasonable,weather proof,absolutely rock steady.

The tables are basically shaped like if you took a piece of pie(wedge slice) cut it in half across wise not length wise ( the fatter piece where crust would be would be front of table) this wedge shape allows unique position from table when shooting.