OT- FINALLY... got me a BOWIE !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GANJIRO

OT- FINALLY... got me a BOWIE !

Post by GANJIRO »

BEAR MGC BOWIE, MADE IN USA, 14 1/8" overall. 9" stainless blade, full tang, brass finger guard, Cocobolo wood handle. Brown leather belt sheath. $38.77 + $10.00 SHIPPING. SUGGESTED RETAIL $116.95, too good to pass up, forgive me.
ImageImage
My last splurge for a while.
Last edited by GANJIRO on Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Great find Ji! I got a Solengen blade floating around about that size I need to finish up...one of these days..
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

That is a very good deal indeed!
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

All right spill it Ji, where'd you get the knife from? :P Congrats....beautiful looking Bowie.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Wow! That sounds like a heck of a deal. Made in the USA too! Were'd ya get it?
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Good find Ji, that should be a great hog hunting knife, thats how my nephew in south Florida takes them.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Hope no one takes offense but I got it on Ebay, been bidding on these for weeks but never over my ceiling of $40.00 with no real hope of winning but somehow my bidding rival on this one was asleep. :roll: :lol: :wink:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ji -

You THIEF! Wow - what a steal. Congrats buddy - couldn't happen to a nicer guy. That's a deal you're going to remember for a long, long time!!! :D
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

That's definitely one beautiful bowie Ji.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Now thats a knife. :D
So are you gonna go pig sticking with it?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great buy! :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Congrats,excellent buy!
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

JerryB wrote:Good find Ji, that should be a great hog hunting knife, thats how my nephew in south Florida takes them.
JReed wrote:Now thats a knife. :D
So are you gonna go pig sticking with it?
I haven't stuck a wild pig with a knife in over ten years the last time using my BUCK 106 "Pathfinder" my Dad got me back in 1976, I have been invited back to Maui by my buddy Alika to hunt wild pigs with his pack of well trained hounds, I just may have to take him up on that offer: Image

I have this rather large BUCK 120 "General" with sheath (minus a belt loop a new one which I made from an old belt & sewed on myself) which I found in the Laupahoehoe rain forest on "Big Island" of Hawaii back in 1982 . Would any of you consider this knife a "Bowie" style? Image
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Great looking Bowie! I'm going to look out for one like it over here.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

Ji,

That second Buck is a bowie style in my book.

ETA: that Bear is a nice looking knife! And, about as traditional a Bowie as they come...

- Tristan
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Yea, I would say the General is a Bowie style. that new one is a sweet chunk of steel. I am very partial to knives that can be used as machetes and axes.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Hey Ji, The Buck General is difinately a Bowie style knife. But one word of advice, the blades on those Buck's are extremely hard and could possibly shatter while attempting to stick a hog. I'd use your Bear.

Years back, 15+, my brother, using my Case Bowie to strike the back of his Buck General trying to split the pelvis on a mule deer, broke the Buck blade smack dab in two with the first hit. Buck replaced the knife but the point I'm trying to make is I don't think you want to be standing there holding on to the handle that used to have a blade on it while fighting a hog.

My brother's thought was that Buck uses a trademark hammer striking the blade so it should take the hit. The steel is too hard. Or at least it used to be. That's why their edges held so long and were such a bear to put back on.
Old Law Dawg
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

That Buck General is absolutely a "Bowie Style" knife. Those old Buck knives are hard to beat.

Very nice Bear MGC by the way. Snazy!!!!

Be careful using any of those knives in your aluminum canoe. Had a buddy once who was fishing in his aluminum canoe and had a snake drop into it from an overhanging limb. He grabbed the first thing that came to hand -- a knife -- and tried to stab the snake. BIG MISTAKE!!! He put two good sized stab wounds/holes in the bottom of the canoe. Didn't sink it (got him wet though) but cost a few good dollars to get it fixed.
ED
Yer never too old
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Nice knife..at a great price!
Semper Fi
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

K-Bar still makes most of their knives in USA. They're well balanced knives and useful for many camp chores.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

t.r. wrote:Image

K-Bar still makes most of their knives in USA. They're well balanced knives and useful for many camp chores.

TR
I have my Dad's OLD K-Bar which he carried with him all through the Southwest Pacific during WWII and afterwards. Allot of wear and tear on this one but wish it could talk. The sheath rotted away years ago and my dad sewed a new leather one which adds to the character of the whole setup. I'll post a picture of it when I locate the knife.
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

GANJIRO wrote:
t.r. wrote:Image

TR
I have my Dad's OLD K-Bar which he carried with him all through the Southwest Pacific during WWII and afterwards. Allot of wear and tear on this one but wish it could talk. The sheath rotted away years ago and my dad sewed a new leather one which adds to the character of the whole setup. I'll post a picture of it when I locate the knife.
Very Cool 8)
Semper Fi