OT?? Old West Heroes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

OT?? Old West Heroes

Post by getitdone1 »

Been talk'in to my brother about Annie Oakley. He says they had a show about her last night on PBS. Look her up on the internet and maybe go to Amazon.com and buy a book about her.

That conversation got me to talk'in to him about Buffalo Bill. THIS GUY DID IT ALL !! Poney Express, Indian Wars, Buffalo hunter and Showman with his Wild West Show. Had his autobiography and will soon be buying it again. (May still have it if I look hard) I think he died broke and in debt. Still, he was truly one of the great Western Heroes and maybe the greatest.

George Armstrong Custer. Don't like the guy. He was after all the glory and didn't care how tough he made it on his men to get it. He was buffalo hunting on horse back one time shooting at buffalo with his handgun. He shot his horse in the head!

Don McCullough
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Heck Thomas!!!!!!!!! There was one honest and kind fella, but one heck of a Lawman and Gunfighter.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

John Wesley Hardin!!! I have always been a fan of him for as long as I can think. Plus he was the only man That Wild Bill avoided a gun fight with.
Break on through to the other side!!!
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

It's hard for me to define anyone as a "hero" - but I think Kit Carson was close with Lewis and Clark right there with him, maybe put Jim Bridger in there also. The first explorers and mountain men were some tough characters that had to deal with the hardships of the West before many white men had even seen it.
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

Abraham Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt are my two top. I know not really "Western" but they were men of integrity.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Remember the Alamo!
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Being born in Texas, the Texas Rangers have been at the top of my list. I met a few of them at the Texas State Fair in 1955 as a 10 year old. I have since then met "Lone Wolf" Gonzaullas and Alfred Allee personally along with some of the modern day Rangers. I have a few collectible items from "Lone Wolf", Captain Tom Hickman, Captain John R. Hughes, and Walter Durbin, as well as other Rangers from as far back as 1870s and the frontier Battalion. I also have some items from Wyatt Earp and John Wesley Harden. I read mostly about the Texas Rangers, John Wesley Hardin, and Wyatt Earp. Hardin killed a fellow gambler just a few miles from where I live today at Towash. The Chisholm trail is just a few miles away also. One branch is so close if I had been alive I could have watch the cattle crossing the brazos River from my back porch. The "Old West" is alive in my mind most all the time. :)
"That'll Be The Day"
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

How about Simon Kenton, he saved Daniel Boone's life.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

I tend to lean the other way...Geronimo, Crazy Horse, Sitting Bull, Chief Joseph, Kwaina Parker and his father Nokoni....also Tecumseh & Pontiac...I look at Ohio & Indiana as the old old west......I think I would have liked living the Indian way.
Last edited by Mokwaw on Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

JerryB wrote:How about Simon Kenton, he saved Daniel Boone's life.
I have/had a book called the Frontiersman it was about Simon Kenton...Boone was in Kentucky first, but Kenton was basically responsible for settleing the territory along with most of southern Ohio.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Quanah Parker (Quahadi Comanche), Red Cloud & Crazy Horse (Oglala Lakota), Geromino (Bedonkohe Apache), Chief Joseph (Wallowa Nez Perce) just to name a few.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Don't forget Magnus Colorado of the Bedonkohe Apache.
Also John Colter a Virginian and first white man to find Yellowstone.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

Liver Eatin' Johnson! He was a bad, bad, man. Ask the Absaroke Crow! He would catch them, tie 'em up and then cut out their livers and eat it in front of them before they croaked! Try this link for more info Link to story

Here' an excerpt from the story....
Johnston's killings continued for years, and the Crow seemed helpless to respond. But one winter, as Johnston was traveling over five hundred miles to visit his Flathead kin, he was ambushed by a group of Blackfoot warriors who intended to present him to the Crow for a handsome reward. The Blackfoot overtook Johnston and captured him, placing him in a teepee and binding him with leather straps. A young warrior guard was placed just outside. But Johnston turned out to be an unmanageable prisoner.

Inside where he couldn't be seen, Johnston eventually managed to chew through the leather straps which bound him, and he slipped out of the exit. When he confronted the guard outside, Johnston– who was a large man of about six feet and two hundred pounds– landed a devastating blow to the man's nose before he was able to act. Johnston wasted no time in taking the warrior's knife, which he used to saw one of the Indian's legs off at the hip. Armed with the leg as a blunt instrument and with the warrior's knife, Johnston managed to fight his way out of the Blackfoot camp and make his escape into the woods.

As Johnston began the two hundred mile journey back to his cabin, the guard's leg proved to be useful as more than just a weapon. He used it as a source of food for lack of anything better in the harsh winter, and it sustained him until he reached his destination.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Mokwaw wrote:I tend to lean the other way...Geronimo, Crazy Horse, Sitting Bull, Chief Joseph, Kwaina Parker and his father Nokoni....also Tecumseh & Pontiac...I look at Ohio & Indiana as the old old west......I think I would have liked living the Indian way.
Most of us would have "gone native". It is more fitting to our thought process.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

game keeper wrote:Don't forget Magnus Colorado of the Bedonkohe Apache.
Also John Colter a Virginian and first white man to find Yellowstone.
John Colter was a borned about 12 miles from where I live and most everybody of those times had passed through here.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Hobie wrote:
Mokwaw wrote:I tend to lean the other way...Geronimo, Crazy Horse, Sitting Bull, Chief Joseph, Kwaina Parker and his father Nokoni....also Tecumseh & Pontiac...I look at Ohio & Indiana as the old old west......I think I would have liked living the Indian way.
Most of us would have "gone native". It is more fitting to our thought process.
I admire the Native American Indian....I married one.... :) We have been together since 1968.....Thier kids turn out OK too....Image
Semper Fi
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Beautiful girls, you must be very proud sir.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

game keeper wrote:Beautiful girls, you must be very proud sir.
Thanks GameKeeper,

Yes, they are a Blessing indeed...
Semper Fi
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Calamity Jane. Just because. :wink:
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

You asked about "heros" and that cuts the list way, way down. In my way of thinking a hero must be a person of good character, high morals and make a positive contribution to society.

Wes Hardin was mentioned. He was a sociopath, a killer, a chronic drunk and in general a man of poor character and low morals. He was one dangerous man, but he is far from a hero.

Some folks that fit the hero list, would be John Coffee Hayer, John S "Rip" Ford, Chief Joseph, Crazy Horse and others.

If the truth be known, heros were in short supply in the Old West, just as they are now.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Frank Hamer

Bill Tilghman

John Slaughter

Heck Thomas(already mentioned)

Tom Rynning or Arizona Ranger fame
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Dunno if he's a hero, but I kind of admire Hugh Glass.

http://www.rosyinn.com/more005.html
Have you hugged your rifle today?
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

rock-steady wrote:Liver Eatin' Johnson! He was a bad, bad, man. Ask the Absaroke Crow! He would catch them, tie 'em up and then cut out their livers and eat it in front of them before they croaked! Try this link for more info Link to story

Here' an excerpt from the story....
Johnston's killings continued for years, and the Crow seemed helpless to respond. But one winter, as Johnston was traveling over five hundred miles to visit his Flathead kin, he was ambushed by a group of Blackfoot warriors who intended to present him to the Crow for a handsome reward. The Blackfoot overtook Johnston and captured him, placing him in a teepee and binding him with leather straps. A young warrior guard was placed just outside. But Johnston turned out to be an unmanageable prisoner.

Inside where he couldn't be seen, Johnston eventually managed to chew through the leather straps which bound him, and he slipped out of the exit. When he confronted the guard outside, Johnston– who was a large man of about six feet and two hundred pounds– landed a devastating blow to the man's nose before he was able to act. Johnston wasted no time in taking the warrior's knife, which he used to saw one of the Indian's legs off at the hip. Armed with the leg as a blunt instrument and with the warrior's knife, Johnston managed to fight his way out of the Blackfoot camp and make his escape into the woods.

As Johnston began the two hundred mile journey back to his cabin, the guard's leg proved to be useful as more than just a weapon. He used it as a source of food for lack of anything better in the harsh winter, and it sustained him until he reached his destination.

Ol Jeremiah was ornery, and makin a hobby out of terrorizing a whole tribe after they upset him off makes me chuckle. Too bad they ruined his legend by making a movie about him starring Redford.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Jedediah Smith a true Christian and a real hero.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

Cheif Sitting Bull