A New World Record Alaskan-Yukon Moose

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

A New World Record Alaskan-Yukon Moose

Post by Pete44ru »

Taken during a self-guided hunt with an open-sighted .303 British @ 35yds, by a Dawson City native, along the Yukon near Stewart Island, last September.

B&C measured the rack this past Jan (2014), after the mandatory 90-day drying out period.

http://www.boone-crockett.org/news/feat ... ews&ID=186

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: A New World Record Alaskan Moose

Post by AJMD429 »

I'll bet they have lots of neck muscle, to haul those things around...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

whoa.....very awesome....
bet they had fun hauling that out of the woods
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I hate staged game/fish photos.

Look at his arm… straight out. Because he's sitting as far behind it as he possibly can, to make it look as big as he possibly can. :roll:

The other trick is using wide angle lens up close. The tip off on those is the people have really big hands too, to go with their really big fish.
Slow is just slow.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

A magnificent moose rack! :D
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

I like this part:
........"with open-sighted .303 British @ 35yds"....

Was it an old surplus Enfield and what ammo?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

cas wrote:I hate staged game/fish photos. Look at his arm… straight out. Because he's sitting as far behind it as he possibly can, to make it look as big as he possibly can. :roll: The other trick is using wide angle lens up close. The tip off on those is the people have really big hands too, to go with their really big fish.
True. It would seem more appropriate to be in the same 'focal plane' as the item being photographed, or to have the gun in the same focal plane, at least, or for that matter - a yardstick...!
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

AJMD429 wrote:
cas wrote:I hate staged game/fish photos. Look at his arm… straight out. Because he's sitting as far behind it as he possibly can, to make it look as big as he possibly can. :roll: The other trick is using wide angle lens up close. The tip off on those is the people have really big hands too, to go with their really big fish.
True. It would seem more appropriate to be in the same 'focal plane' as the item being photographed, or to have the gun in the same focal plane, at least, or for that matter - a yardstick...!
Yeah... um,... try to focus guys.

World record.

This gentleman doesn't have to fake anything.

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Here is the original hunting story in detail prior to the official scoring from Whitehorse, Yukon Territories.
Please excuse my national fervour but it was a Canadian Moose shot by a northern local Canadian with a surplus iron sighted 303 Enfield. Nothing could be more of a Canadian hunting tale! It is so far from guided fly-in tv hunt with a Whiz Bang 397 Magnum with Unobtanium bullets at Mach 1.2 with a $3000 tactical gun sight. It just tickled my Canadian heart. Change the name and it was the vision of my loved old uncle on the homestead up north.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=51046

If you want to see a great picture see the link above. That is a real bragging bull and a fine picture. I'm sure he had no intent or would have even known how to stage a photo of anything.
Last edited by Canuck Bob on Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

cas wrote:I hate staged game/fish photos.

Look at his arm… straight out. Because he's sitting as far behind it as he possibly can, to make it look as big as he possibly can. :roll:

The other trick is using wide angle lens up close. The tip off on those is the people have really big hands too, to go with their really big fish.
It's easy to sit back and try to tear down someone else's accomplishment. It looks to me that his right hand is next to his lap holding the scull cap. He's not holding it away, he's holding it up. Where's your's?
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Yeah... um,... try to focus guys.

World record.

This gentleman doesn't have to fake anything.

:wink:[/quote]

I have to agree. Read the original story linked below. It is a dandy hunting story. This guy would not be party to any staging. He is donating the antlers for goodness sake! The photo is from the local Whitehorse newspaper, he looks like a big man and the antlers are huge to help you scale it. It is a world record fellows!!! :mrgreen: I'm proud and a bit jealous.

http://www.whitehorsestar.com/archive/s ... ld-record/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The guy must be STRONG, too. . .

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I reckon you scoffers think the last picture of him holding the rack over his head is phony too.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Could be.

He appears to squatting slightly, and his arms aren't entiely straight.

Probably trying to make that puny rack look bigger.

:wink:

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Rifleman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman »

Amazing!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Canuck Bob wrote:
Please excuse my national fervour but it was a Canadian Moose

FWIW, national fervor aside, due to it's location, antler type & sheer size, (although I said "Alaskan) it's properly classified as an Alaskan-Yukon Moose, and not as the distinctively smaller Canadian Moose.

To wit: http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgRecords ... =bgRecords

(I've since edited the subject line of my OP here, appropriately)

Last edited by Pete44ru on Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Pete44ru wrote:
Canuck Bob wrote:
Please excuse my national fervour but it was a Canadian Moose

FWIW, national fervor aside, due to it's location, antler type & sheer size, (although I said "Alaskan) it's properly classified as an Alaskan-Yukon Moose, and as the distinctively smaller Canadian Moose.

To wit: http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgRecords ... =bgRecords

(I've since edited the subject line of my OP here, appropriately)

I knew what you meant. I've hunted the Alberta rockie's moose and it is a smaller moose than the ones often seen in the Yukon or Alaska it seems. If memory serves me right they even have a different official name. I've heard them called Wyoming or Montana moose. I just never miss the opportunity to brag about Canada. I'm a hopeless patriot. I'm sure you guys understand because you sure love your country and you should. It really tickled me when the original story was printed. I have slogged through some willow sloughs tagging along with a family elder carrying a 303 many times. It took me back to the 60s when the bush was much wilder and people I dearly miss were strong and healthy. Gee whiz a story about a moose hunt is going to make me look like a sissy with a leaky eye!
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Re: A New World Record Alaskan-Yukon Moose

Post by samb »

Makes me want to move back to the prettiest place on earth.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

samb wrote:Makes me want to move back to the prettiest place on earth.

Where's that samb. Calgary is close as cities go!
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

One of these days I will make it up to the Frazier Plateau in BC to hunt moose and caribou if the wolves havent got them all, in the southern part of BC and western US its Shiras Moose if my memory is correct. danny