Marble's Tang Sight on 1894

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Marble's Tang Sight on 1894

Post by HEAD0001 »

I am looking for a peep sight for my new 1894 Marlin in 44 magnum. I have been looking at the Lyman 66, I think my receiver is D&T'd(have not received the rifle yet). I have also been thinking about a Marble's Tang sight. What do you guy's think about the tang sight on an 1894?? Tom.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Both mine wear em. Wouldn't have it any other way.
Certified gun nut
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

just got one on my .357, it works fine. It's pretty close clearance when the bolt is open, but there's just enough.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Antietamgw
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Antietamgw »

I guess it isn't traditional but I prefer the receiver sights like the Lyman 66 and Redfield. Of those, I like the older steel vs. aluminum. I have a couple tang sights on various single shots as it is traditional and in most cases, the only good choice of sights. For me, my single shots are taken out for hunting, plinking and fun. My leverguns are used for the same thing but would be what I grabbed if I needed a tough reliable rifle that might have to take some abuse. For this, I like the receiver sights better because:
I think they are tougherer :D
I never saw a broken stem on a receiver sight. Have seen some bent ones though.
They are easier to change windage for different loads, even a Williams 5D is easier to change around (and back to zero) than a Marbles.
My grip on the stock isn't restricted.
They all work, I guess it just depends on personal preference.
Keep your sword and your plow share, know how and when to use them.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Antietam,

you're right but it comes down to preference. I like the extra sight radius, but what I really like is the extra short eye relief. I don't have to lean forward to peer into a small aperture, and I can use a smaller aperture because it's so close to my eye.

I think the tang sight takes an extra second to line up as well, but once that's done I have more confidence with my sight picture.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

My Grandad (1889 - 1973) hunted all types of western big game with a rifle nearly identical to this one. I shot my first elk with it. The rifle kept its zero year after year.

30-30 is a keeper.
TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Although I'm a fan of tang sights, IMHO you can't go wrong with a Skinner peep (blued or brass) on your 1894. Tim will even make you a sourdough patridge front sight blade of the correct height for an extra $10.

Scroll down his home page to see pics & prices of all his stuff:

http://skinnersights.com/
Bullet Bob

Post by Bullet Bob »

It is personal preference, and you need :D rifles with both; but if I could only have one type, for me it's the Lyman 66.

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

t.r., that is one beautiful rifle, tell us about it?
cable