Got a call today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SargeMarlin
Levergunner 2.0

Got a call today

Post by SargeMarlin »

From Big Horn Armory, my 89 in .500 is done and getting ready to ship. Pics to come when my FFL holder gets back from the Bahamas in a week, which after the 10 month build time is a drop in the bucket.

WOOOHOOOO!

SM
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Got a call today

Post by TedH »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

8) 8) I'll bet you're going to love it :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I'm sorry.

There's simply no excuse for this man to be on 'vacation' when there is such an obviously high priority delivery to be made.

:idea:

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

FWiedner wrote:I'm sorry.

There's simply no excuse for this man to be on 'vacation' when there is such an obviously high priority delivery to be made.

:idea:

:lol:
:lol: congratulations....look forward to your range reports.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I know who to come to when I need to borrow money!

I'm jealous...I've drooled over those a while....but then I'd have to buy a .500 revolver and maybe even a TC Encore barrel....you see where this is heading??? the poorhouse.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very kewl. Looking forward to pics, lots of them!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

SargeMarlin wrote:...Pics to come when my FFL holder gets back from the Bahamas in a week...SM
your FFL holder has messed up prioroties :mrgreen:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

bulldog1935 wrote:
SargeMarlin wrote:...Pics to come when my FFL holder gets back from the Bahamas in a week...SM
your FFL holder has messed up prioroties :mrgreen:
+1! I ordered my Sharps thru an FFL holder who was also ordering one for himself and two other friends... he MADE sure he was in every time one was delivered!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

SargeMarlin wrote:From Big Horn Armory, my 89 in .500 is done and getting ready to ship. Pics to come when my FFL holder gets back from the Bahamas in a week, which after the 10 month build time is a drop in the bucket.
Waaaahhhh...!!!! I just sent my deposit last week. I'd hoped I'd get it in 2014... :(

I almost spent the splurge-money on a Thompson Machine Integrally-suppressed Ruger 10/22 Takedown, but went 'traditional levergun' instead... for once, looks like the NFA paperwork choice would have been the faster path to gun-fun...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
SargeMarlin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by SargeMarlin »

Thank you all. I'm excited and will hopefully give a worth while report when it gets in. I will make sure to give my FFL a hard time. He is also in the guard at training and wasn't around a week ago when I had another gun transferred in. It is still patiently waiting for me at his shop, so it will be a 2 for 1 deal for me when he gets back. (the other is an original Colt Trooper in .22lr)

Anyway, the very pleasant lady that I talked to on the phone this morning said that the delay should be exponentially shorter as the are getting barrels (the reason for the hold up) on a regular basis. Hopefully it won't take so long from here on out.

I did miss soda pop during the wait. I would put $2.00 into a jar every afternoon when I would normally buy one and it added up quick and made the giving up the credit card information a little easier. It didn't pay for all of it, but its a good start.

SM
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

SargeMarlin wrote:I did miss soda pop during the wait. I would put $2.00 into a jar every afternoon when I would normally buy one and it added up quick and made the giving up the credit card information a little easier. It didn't pay for all of it, but its a good start.
I've actually prevented a few strokes and heart attacks by getting guys to quit smoking, and did it by telling them how much money they could save, and what a cool gun or boat or fishing rod or whatever they could be buying in just a few months or so. Same for preventing diabetes - the single biggest cause (other than television) is probably soft drinks and the high-fructose corn syrup in them. Save the money for something more fun, that is less likely to kill you. 8)
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

rjohns94 wrote:Very kewl. Looking forward to pics, lots of them!
+1 :D
SargeMarlin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by SargeMarlin »

Ok, let me start by saying that photobucket is horrible! Then let me add that the Model 89 is awesome!

I picked up the BHA a few days after I posted that I got a call letting me know that it was done, on a Thursday. Friday, I grab 10 rounds of HSM ammo and am anxious to tell you all how great it is. Round #5, stuck empty in the action. stuff! I am able to leave a message with BHA in hopes that it is something that I have done wrong or my choice in ammo or anything that does not require me to have to send it back. I hadn't even taken pictures yet to post.

Late Friday afternoon I get a call back from Greg from Big Horn Armory and we talk about possibilities, ammo, what-ifs, and unfortunately for me, its a trip back to Cody. Greg says that they would reimburse for the shipping, but I asked for a couple of hats instead, and he says that would not be a problem. Nine days later and the length of the hammer shortened a couple thousandths, and I'm back in business....sorta. Kids and work are keeping me ridiculously busy so I have not been able to get out until yesterday. Things look no different and as I load up, I'm reminded what Jeff Quinn said during his review, "don't baby the lever" and I run it like it was meant to be. Sounds good.

I jerked the first shot with anticipation of recoil, go figure. I was shooting off a hasty rest (a garbage barrel turned upside down with the gun case wadded up to pad the gun) at 50 yards. I'm in a hurry again as my kids have soccer, tumbling and softball in 45 minutes and I have 20 minutes worth of work and driving to do, so I have a quick easy target, though not the easiest to see. First shot, low about four inches, next 4 almost touching at point of aim. Woohoo!

Still cannot get photobucket to work with me here, so pics are coming--SM
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep, Photobucket is the true test of patience. Congrats on getting the gun back so fast. Look forward to seein' the pics.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Mine is supposed to ship tomorrow or early next week. This is going to be fun. The lady there told me they've been shipping 6 or 8 each weekday now.

I figure my other 'powerful leverguns' are:
  • a) Marlin (336) in 444 Marlin - FUN and accurate, and quite powerful, but a bit long and large of a gun.

b) Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 - I already feel I'm pushing it if I use 'hot' loads in it, but at least it is shorter than my 444 Marlin.

c) Rossi 92 in 454 Casull - yes, successfully adapted to the round, but several experts who know far more than I do tell me it is still 'marginal' for the round. However, at least it has a shorter lever throw than the Guide Gun.
So, at least the Bighorn Spike Driver was intentionally designed for the 500 S&W, has a relatively compact design, and has as short an action as possible with that cartridge. Will it last forever without shooting loose - at my age, and as seldom as I get to shoot these days, I'm more worried I'll shoot loose before it does. :(

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:Mine is supposed to ship tomorrow or early next week. This is going to be fun. The lady there told me they've been shipping 6 or 8 each weekday now.

I figure my other 'powerful leverguns' are:
  • a) Marlin (336) in 444 Marlin - FUN and accurate, and quite powerful, but a bit long and large of a gun.

b) Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 - I already feel I'm pushing it if I use 'hot' loads in it, but at least it is shorter than my 444 Marlin.

c) Rossi 92 in 454 Casull - yes, successfully adapted to the round, but several experts who know far more than I do tell me it is still 'marginal' for the round. However, at least it has a shorter lever throw than the Guide Gun.
So, at least the Bighorn Spike Driver was intentionally designed for the 500 S&W, has a relatively compact design, and has as short an action as possible with that cartridge. Will it last forever without shooting loose - at my age, and as seldom as I get to shoot these days, I'm more worried I'll shoot loose before it does. :(
There is plenty of strength in that Guide Gun for enough H4198 to launch 300s at 2100fps. Personally, my shoulder gives up at about 1875.....(The only 45-70 I have these days is the Sharps, and @12#, I don't think it will hurt)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:There is plenty of strength in that Guide Gun for enough H4198 to launch 300s at 2100fps. Personally, my shoulder gives up at about 1875.
I am fairly tall, and light weight enough that I just move with recoil, so I did ok with the S&W 500 CorBon 440gr's at around 1900 fps (for around 3400 ft-lb) from my Handi-Rifle, so I figure the heavier Spike Driver (weighs about same as my Guide Gun) should make that even a bit more tame. My reloading notes do show a load for Cast Performance 440 grain at around 1750 fps, but that was chrono'd from a 24" barrel and I noted in the margin "Encore Only", so I might be chicken to try than in a Marlin. It was 'brisk' in my Encore, though... 8)