powders you're loading .223 with?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

powders you're loading .223 with?

Post by m.wun »

I have some 55gr fmj bullets and some Re15 and have read its better with 62gr and up. I'm thinking of trying
some Varget. I have had some success with some 50gr noslers with the new CFE powder also. Not looking for match loads
just something consistent in the proper burn rate for the cartridge.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Re: powders you're loading .223 with?

Post by Jayhawker »

26 grains of Varget has been outstanding for me in a couple of rifles with 55 gr Noslers. I wish I'd stocked up before the hoarding madness.
Well done is better than well said.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I use 19.7 gr of 5744 and a 50 gr V-max (published load)
Near 100% case capacity and very consistent. I've shot thousands at prairie dogs. Can't remember the chrono results offhand. I'm thinking 3400+ out of my Howa 1500

I used 5744 because I buy it by the 8 pound keg for my 1885 BPCRs. I liked the results so I stayed with it.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I use Varget or 3031. I get better accuracy with 3031 but Varget is good too, and is supposed to be more stable and not vary as much with the temperature.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
dixie cat
Levergunner

Post by dixie cat »

i have did a lot of accuracy test with the 223 h4895 and h335 is the powders that i have found to be the best with 55gr-64gr
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've used BL(C)2, but mainly CFE223. In Dec of 2012, a couple of cans were just sitting on a dealer's shelf and having just picked up Hodgdon's new annual reloading guide for 2013, which was filled with info on it...

After just over a year of experimenting with it and the .223 in general, I've gotten some good to excellent groups with it and bullets between 50-69 grains in weight; the light 40s or heavy 77s, not so much. It meters well... but on the lighter end of charge weights, it seems to be a little sooty... but with the better accuracy at the upper velocity levels... I'm stickin' to the faster loads! :P

Let's put it this way... I'm on the waiting list for 8 lb jug when the dealer gets one in! (3rd in line I think...)
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

H335 is my favorite.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

H335, RL7 for medium to full power loads. Blue Dot for a Hornet type load with a 50gr SPP that chronoes 2750fps
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
olderndirt
Levergunner

Post by olderndirt »

I have good results on my four 223 rifles using 25 gr. 748. Not the fastest powder for 55 grains but works on two ar's, one bolt action and a single shot.
Most rifles shoot .5 to 1 moa with this load if I do my part.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Varget, IMR3031, Win 748 all work pretty well. Done a lot of loading with 3031, but am switching to Varget for .223.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Winchester 748. Works well with my Browning Lo Wall, but due to the pencil thin barrel, I must really pace out the shots. It is too easy to overheat the barrel on .223 Browning Low Wall.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.