Not lever, but bolt...Part II

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Not lever, but bolt...Part II

Post by alnitak »

A few weeks ago I had started a thread on recommendations for a bolt rifle for precision shooting...on a budget. Well, most recommended Savage, so here is the result of y'all's input, a model 10 P-SR in .308 Win, with tactical bolt handle, 18" bull barrel, threaded, and 5R rifling. Added were the 10-round magazines compatible with the factory DBM and an extended mag release, both from Dark Eagle and 20 MoA Weaver rail. A Falcon Menace 4-14x44mm FFP mil/mil scope, with BC lens caps, sitting in 30mm medium Seekins rings completed this low-budget build.

It still has a ways to go, but a good enough start for now. I have a Ross Shuler muzzle brake that is being kerakoted black, which I will install with a crush washer until I can get a suppressor for the rifle. A Harris S-BRM bipod and Triad modular stock pack are planned, along with a replacement stock. Would love to get a McMillan M40 stock, but it's not in the budget. So probably will go with the Stockade Stock, Woodchuck model.

So, what else do I need to consider, either in addition to or instead of?
Last edited by alnitak on Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Re: Not lever, but bolt...Part II

Post by mod71alaska »

Where's the walnut? :o :shock: :? :lol:

Very nice, Bruce! I'm trying to find a CZ 550 HB Varmint .308 with the walnut. :D
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

That's sweet. Looking forward to the range report.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
norton_mike222
Levergunner

Post by norton_mike222 »

So can you ballpark us a figure on what it has cost to get to this point?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'll bet it is plenty accurate...!
alnitak wrote:Would love to get a McMillan M40 stock, but it's not in the budget. So probably will go with the Stockade Stock, Woodchuck model. So, what else do I need to consider, either in addition to or instead of?
I have a Choate Ultimate Sniper and Ultimate Varminter stock on my Savage 308 and 223 rifles, and both are awesome. Some people gripe that the Choate stocks are HEAVY, but those aren't my easy-totin' somewhere guns; they're my definitely-hittin' something guns.

Review of the Ultimate Sniper (Varminter is a bit less 'tactical') - http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/Choate_USS.asp

I got mine when they were cheap-selling them from Sportsman's Guide, but I think MidwayUSA.com may still sell them, and these guys list them - http://www.combatstocks.com/varmint_stocks.cfm

Choate now makes a lighter, less expensive 'Tactical Rifle Stock' too, and if it is half as well-made as the 'Ultimate' ones, it would be worth looking at - http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/category/TRS

I think the other reason I like Choate (besides their top-notch folding stocks for Mini-14's and the Marlin Camp Rifle), is their politically-incorrect 'ice scrapers' they sell... :twisted:
http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/category/TRS
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

rjohns94 wrote:That's sweet. Looking forward to the range report.
+1 on both counts!
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

norton_mike222 wrote:So can you ballpark us a figure on what it has cost to get to this point?
I spent some time looking, and think I got good deals on most of the components, some from classifieds like Snipers Hide and Long Range Hunting. Rifle was new in box, and included the 20 MoA rail and muzzle brake. Scope I got used, but like new, used only 1-2 times. Rings and mags were new. Rifle as shown cost me $995, not counting shipping ($25) and FFL fees ($42).

A 1000 yard rifle for less than $1000.

Ceracoating the muzzle brake will be $25 with a local certified dealer. The Triad modular stock pack with extra mag holder will be about $50. The Harris bipod will be $90 plus another $20 for the PodLok for the swivel. The stock will be $325 (and 18 weeks lead-time). The suppressor will be $1000-$1200 plus $200 tax stamp, so planned upgrades are much more than I have invested for a very shootable and functional rifle.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

AJ,

I've looked at the Choate stocks, and a number of people recommend them. They seem to be a full-featured stock for considerably less than their Manners, McMillan, AICS counterparts. However, I must say I am partial to the M40 style stock, which I see as serving both as a hunting and tactical stock. The B&C stocks are also a good buy at half the price of their well-respected industry standard brethren.

If I were going a fully-adjustable, budget stock the Choate would be my first choice based on everything I've read. But I think I want a slimmer, lighter more general purpose stock for this handy, lighter-weight rifle.

Thanks!
Bruce
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

alnitak wrote:I think I want a slimmer, lighter more general purpose stock for this handy, lighter-weight rifle.
You might check the lighter weight 'Tactical' ones ones out then -

http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/TRS/25-06-01

I don't know if this particular model would fit your gun, but they make a bunch of similar ones:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "