What's a guy gotta do to buy a rifle?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Advanced Levergunner

What's a guy gotta do to buy a rifle?

Post by 1886 »

Pardon my frustration. I called on that 86 SRC we were looking at . I sent an offer to buy early this morning. I called several times through out the day and left messages. I received a return e-mail about 1:30 p.m. my time asking me to call them. I did, no pick up, left another message. Finally got a person on the phone at 2:45 p.m. my time only to be told they sold the rifle 20 minutes prior. Frustrating. To be fair this is only my side of the story I am sure they received other inquires. Oh well another one is bound to come along. 1886.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I can sympathise(sp?) with your frustration. I haven't got a lot of experiance with it, but it's happened when I request info or after the sale and they take awhile to get in contact with ya.

Man that drives me nuts.I guess some people don't pay attention like we do. :lol:
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

I'm getting a lot of the same thing from gunshop sites. Numerous enquiries and no responses :evil: !!
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Another fine reason to buy in person. I'm sure 1886 is after some more rare guns than I, but I hesitate to even buy ANYTHING online -so many crooks, and it takes a lot of the personal nuances away from a sale.

The people selling that gun had options other than your interest, 1886, and because it's online, hey, they can hold out or bargain a little less ethically and you end up missing out on something you really wanted.

You have to now "win" it. It smacks of the Devil's deception, I tell you.

Just what we need, another way to get further from how God created us. And humanity slips further below the surface in the rough seas of our history. Another way to be even less human and more like consumer-moneys. Grab, grab, grab.

Get what you can, online seller, nobody's watching how you do business.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Once on Ebay I was bidding on a 66 Lemans. I took it up to a more than reasonable price (likely much more than it was worth), only to lose it by $100 bucks at the last minute. I emailed them and asked to be considered if the buyer backed out. After about a week it showed up in auction again...with a note about getting financing before you bid. So I ran it up as before, only to lose it at the last second again by $100 :evil: Once again it showed up a week later for auction with another note stating to clear it through your spouse BEFORE bidding....I emailed them and told them my standing offer, that I refused to bid again on the car, and if they REALLY wanted to sell it to call me....

It's drives very nice BTW.... :D

Ed
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I have to agree with you Scott64A, I prefer talking to another human being as well. Besides the interaction quality, you get a better look at the item of desire.

Trouble is I can get things cheaper through online auctions(including shipping/receiving) than I can get at the local pawnshops. :cry:
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
RICHP

Post by RICHP »

Yoy have to be quick on the draw, if your talking about the one on Gunbroker, I ask about it also. It was the third one I have missed out on in the last couple of weeks. If you want one bad enough to pay the price of a high grade, Doug Turnbull did have one. RichP
Last Spike
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Last Spike »

I've been successful on some and just missed out on others - I console myself that there will always be opportunities in the future to get what I've been patiently looking for.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

1886 -

Sorry to hear about that! When I picked up my Browning SRC earlier this year I actually had to file a complaint after winning the bid, the seller was so slow to respond - after he got my money! :evil:
alamogunr
Levergunner

Post by alamogunr »

Kansas Ed wrote:Once on Ebay I was bidding on a 66 Lemans. I took it up to a more than reasonable price (likely much more than it was worth), only to lose it by $100 bucks at the last minute. I emailed them and asked to be considered if the buyer backed out. After about a week it showed up in auction again...with a note about getting financing before you bid. So I ran it up as before, only to lose it at the last second again by $100 :evil: Once again it showed up a week later for auction with another note stating to clear it through your spouse BEFORE bidding....I emailed them and told them my standing offer, that I refused to bid again on the car, and if they REALLY wanted to sell it to call me....

It's drives very nice BTW.... :D

Ed
That sounds suspiciously like the seller was bidding on his own auction thru a false ID in order to be able to try again for more $$.

I have bought several guns on GunBroker, AuctionArms, Guns America and individuals on this site or others. I have never had an absolute bad experience. In every case the seller was a gentleman. Occasionally a buy did not qualify as the deal of a lifetime, but, I'm sure if I posted each transaction and asked for comments, that 70% of the responses would say I paid too much, the gun was not as represented, etc. If I'm happy, nothing else matters.
Tumbleweeds
Levergunner 1.0

Ditto buying local if you can.

Post by Tumbleweeds »

I went down to my favorite local dealer Tuesday to buy a mount and rings for my used rifle and used scope. The dealer not only installed the rig and bore sighted it, but he hauled out his rifle (same model) and told me about the last deer he shot with it. Wednesday, I got a catalog from Cabela and, out of curiosity, checked the price of the same mounts. Turns out I could have ordered by mail and paid only about $5 more plus shipping, and would now be waiting for the mail so I could install it myself.
OK, OK, I made the jump.