Cast Bullet for 375 Winchester (Marlin)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Homer
Levergunner 1.0

Cast Bullet for 375 Winchester (Marlin)

Post by Homer »

I'm looking for a cast bullet for my 375 Marlin. I want it to give some expansion at 1,800 to 2,000 fps velocity on deer, javalina, and wild boar. I think around 250 grains would be about right. What do you guys use and recommend? Tell me a little about how the bullet you recommend performs on game - expansion, penetration, etc. And how it shoots in your gun, including barrel leading. I want to buy some bullets, try them out and then buy a mold. Please give me some advice.

BTW, I'm leaning toward one of the Beartooth Bullets at the moment, but no nothing about their terminal performance or whether or not molds are available.

Thanks. :)
"Take everything but the fire." Long Hair in "The Cowboys"
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Cast Bullet for 375 Winchester (Marlin)

Post by vancelw »

I have a Lyman 375449 mould (264gr). PM your address and I'll send you a few bullets to try.

I have a .38-55 and the first time I tried to use these I sized them too aggressively. I don't have any hunting data to provide, but you are welcome to try for yourself.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I have a 375 Marlin also. Just haven't loaded for it yet. Have 500 Laser Cast 249gr FP's they sized to .377 for me, that are gonna get loaded over Unique for a 12-1400fps velocity. And Re-7, H335 or H322 for a full power load. Have used LC's boolits in the 45/70 and they are wonderfully accurate.. Sure a few others will be on shortly to give more advice. 3leg/Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Homer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Homer »

vancelw wrote:I have a Lyman 375449 mould (264gr). PM your address and I'll send you a few bullets to try.

I have a .38-55 and the first time I tried to use these I sized them too aggressively. I don't have any hunting data to provide, but you are welcome to try for yourself.
Thanks - PM sent.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I'll send you some ASAP. About all you'll be able to check will be chambering and maybe accuracy. I can't vouch for the alloy. It's supposed to be wheelweights but looks a little shiney to me. May be a slight contaminant, so leading and smearing will vary depending on what alloy you use and how fast you push them.

I think I'm about ready to start shelling out for blended alloys to be shipped to me, Getting harder and harder to find wheel weights around here. And a lot of guys melt it down and try to sell it to you. I won't touch it because you never know what they've thrown in the pot. One guy was trying to trade me some lead for some brass. After quizzing him I finally found out it was battery lead. I passed.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

If you can find a Ranch Dog mold, that will be the one you want. It was designed around the Marlin 375. I tried the Lyman and RCBS molds with my Marlin 375 and they did ok. The Ranch Dog bullets allowed me to push them full power with the same accuracy I was getting with jacketed bullets. Mine come out 235 gr. when cast from a Lyman #2 alloy. I cast mine hard, and with that giant flat nose, they dont need to expand, they are first rate tissue destroyers even if they don't expand at all. That buck in my avatar pic was killed with this bullet. I originally lubed them with Lee alox and never had any leading problems when sized to .379". I have since switched over to powder coating them, mostly just because they look cool. 8)

Ranch Dog isn't selling the molds any longer, but NOE is making some of his designs.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=71_79
NRA Life Member
Homer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Homer »

Thanks TedH. I will follow your lead and try to track down a mold. It doesn't hurt to have a couple.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Carolina cast bullets, he has the RD mould & sells bullets at a fair price
I bought the 235 gr bullet from him, then bought the mold from RD a few years back
the 375 BB & a 38-55 both like that bullet, have other molds, but one that shines for me
for plinking is the Lee 255gr with a modest amount of 2400

ollogger
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Both Carolina Cast Bullets and Beartooth have proven to be great folks to work with, if you decide to order some up.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I had a couple of the Marlin 375's . I mostly used the Ranch Dog 379-210GC and the Ranch Dog 379-235GC . I also had molds fir the Lyman 375296 , 375449 and the RCBS 37-250GC . Oh yeah I also had the Lyman 375248 which was a 250 grain plain base , didn't use that one much as I've always liked GC bullets more . Used the 375449 in a Marlin 336CB 38-55 with good results on deer , also used the RCBS bullet in the same rifle for silhouette .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Homer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Homer »

Thank you gentlemen - you all have been a great help. :D
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

[quote="Homer".

BTW, I'm leaning toward one of the Beartooth Bullets at the moment, but no nothing about their terminal performance or whether or not molds are available.

Thanks. :)[/quote] I called BTB once and asked f I could buy copies of two of their molds and in no uncertain terms was told NO !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !