OT: OT TOPICS

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Quick Karl

OT: OT TOPICS

Post by Quick Karl »

Can anyone say L E V E R G U N S ????? It's like 1:20 leverguns to every godforsaken other topic in the universe!

How about a few NEW categories like a SEPARATE thread for Jokes, Politics, Theology, Quantum Physics, Anthropology, String Theory, Black Holes, Dark Energy, Flux Capacitors..... This way we can keep the LEVERGUNS thread about LEVERGUNS.... what a concept, huh? :lol:

Jeez this board needs some discipline already
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Please refrain from posting OT threads, sir........It's annoying....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Quick Karl

Post by Quick Karl »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I should have seen that one coming!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Quick Karl wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

I should have seen that one coming!
The devil made me do it....... For the most part they are marked OT......just flip past.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

I find some of the OT topics interesting......I usually flip past politics and come back later (maybe) to check them out.....but if the topic doesn't sound interesting even if it concerns a lever gun, especially if it's another "how much is my old winchester worth?"....then if have a lot of spare time.....like tonite and this morning....I come back and check them out. I'm not real knowledgeable about lever guns so I'm learning a lot here about leverguns and other things too.............
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ursavus.elemensis »

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but mine is that one general category is better for the forum's sense of community and easier to read than a forum broken into multiple different categories. I like it the way that it is.
"A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people"
-The Declaration of Independence
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

ursavus.elemensis +1 :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

We only have 2 forum areas: General Discussion, and Classifieds. A 3rd category for Off Topic would complicate nothing, and make it far easier to find posts germane to Leverguns.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

This topic seems to come up about once a month or so. It keeps getting decided to leave things as they are. Fine with me. :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Here we go again. :roll:

If a topic is marked OT and the title doesn't interest you, don't look at it. Simple.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

It ain't changing. I WOULD appreciate it if posters could properly title their posts though...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

TedH wrote:Here we go again. :roll:

If a topic is marked OT and the title doesn't interest you, don't look at it. Simple.
+1 We've hashed this one out ad infiniteum...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

ursavus.elemensis wrote:Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but mine is that one general category is better for the forum's sense of community and easier to read than a forum broken into multiple different categories. I like it the way that it is.
I agree wholeheartedly.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AmBraCol
Webservant

Re: OT: OT TOPICS

Post by AmBraCol »

Quick Karl wrote:Can anyone say L E V E R G U N S ?????
Well, to the folks who googled their way here, our way of doing things may seem strange. The name of the forum should give you a clue that there's something more than just leverguns going on. [url]htttp://www.levergunsCOMMUNITY.com[/url] This name was not chosen by chance. It is the forum section of Paco Kelly's http://www.leverguns.com website and carries on a long tradition that is explained right on the main page, right underneath the "General Discussion" tag. It says:
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.
Right there should be a clue, together with the domain name, that there's more than just leverguns going on. And, just like in any family or community, there's plenty of room for varying opinions. Rather than griping about the wide variety of topics covered, I believe it's time to make an observation that the key word quoted above is POLITELY. That is something that too often is lacking in the interaction on OT posts. Honestly the OT stuff doesn't bug me, it's the rudeness with which folks address each other in disagreement. THAT is what we can do without.

In other words, there's not much that is not welcome here. If it's something that is discussable in a traditionally conservative home setting (no "adult" content, nothing that is inappropriate to discuss in the presence of children, etc.) then it's pretty much up for posting here. The regional gatherings we've observed over the years have carried on the sense of community that is engendered here on this forum.

We've mentioned it before, obviously it stands for mentioning again. Strict, dry, one topic forums simply do not flourish nor build the sense of community that this one does. And those that shatter into multitudinous subforums (or are designed that way from the beginning) are too cumbersome for the moderation staff here.

And as mentioned, the topics SHOULD be clearly labled as to "POLITICS", "OT", "HUMOR", etc. That way it's easy to flip past those that make us uncomfortable or in which we have no interest. It would help immensely if folks would choose an appropriate subject line when posting, it would make choosing the topics that we want to read much easier.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Hobie wrote:It ain't changing. I WOULD appreciate it if posters could properly title their posts though...

Well, yeah. What Hobie said. :D 8)
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

Quick Karl

Post by Quick Karl »

claybob86 wrote:This topic seems to come up about once a month or so. It keeps getting decided to leave things as they are. Fine with me. :)
Once a month or so...

You mean like every month someone suggests that there are too fricken many OT posts on this LEVERGUNS forum?

The nerve of those idgits, huh?
Quick Karl

Post by Quick Karl »

AmBraCol wrote:[url]htttp://www.LEVERGUNScommunity.com[/url]
That about says it for me - politely.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

homefront wrote:We only have 2 forum areas: General Discussion, and Classifieds. A 3rd category for Off Topic would complicate nothing, and make it far easier to find posts germane to Leverguns.
Wasn't "Germane" one of the "Pips" of "Gladys Knight & the Pips" fame?
ED
Yer never too old
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

++++ ???? to what Hobie and Ambracol said. It ain't broke. lets leave it.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Quick Karl wrote:
Karl, you're free to obtain levergunsforum.com and start your own leverguns only forum. All it takes is $$$ for the domain and hosting and the time to set it up and moderate (or not) the forum.

This site was set up as a community forum in which a common interest in leverguns is the uniting element. Feel free to start one according to your own design, desire and vision. That is a better solution than attempting to change that which belongs to another. Sometimes folks forget, we're all guests in Paco's livingroom, so to speak. We don't own the couch or chairs, he allows us to get together here and puts up with us. I, for one, am grateful for his hospitality - not to mention the generosity of those who have chipped in to provide for the hosting costs.

Anyway, there's plenty of room for a strict "Leverguns ONLY" forum if you feel that strongly about the matter. http://www.godaddy.com is a great place to search for a domain name. Hosting isn't hard to come up with either.

Shucks, I just ran over to godaddy.com and found that levergunsforum.com is wide open. You can even get levergunsforum.info for only 99 cents for the first year. That's just the registration cost, hosting would be extra. Anyway, perhaps you have a calling to provide a place for those to whom off topic posts are anathema. Think about it.
Paul - in Pereira

Quick Karl

Post by Quick Karl »

AmBraCol wrote:
Quick Karl wrote:
Karl, you're free to obtain levergunsforum.com and start your own leverguns only forum. All it takes is $$$ for the domain and hosting and the time to set it up and moderate (or not) the forum.

This site was set up as a community forum in which a common interest in leverguns is the uniting element. Feel free to start one according to your own design, desire and vision. That is a better solution than attempting to change that which belongs to another. Sometimes folks forget, we're all guests in Paco's livingroom, so to speak. We don't own the couch or chairs, he allows us to get together here and puts up with us. I, for one, am grateful for his hospitality - not to mention the generosity of those who have chipped in to provide for the hosting costs.

Anyway, there's plenty of room for a strict "Leverguns ONLY" forum if you feel that strongly about the matter. http://www.godaddy.com is a great place to search for a domain name. Hosting isn't hard to come up with either.

Shucks, I just ran over to godaddy.com and found that levergunsforum.com is wide open. You can even get levergunsforum.info for only 99 cents for the first year. That's just the registration cost, hosting would be extra. Anyway, perhaps you have a calling to provide a place for those to whom off topic posts are anathema. Think about it.
So all other Off Topic posts are Ok but this one get you all sensitive? Was it something I said? :roll:

I was just posting an Off Topic post like so many others - I even labeled it correctly, as you suggested. I was bored and couldn't think of anything else to say or do so I came-up with MY Off Topic post...

I'm just trying to fit-in - Geez
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The other day, two or three back, I opened the forum first thing in the morning and there were more OT thread than on topic threads. Most of the OT threads were political or jokes. All of the jokes were old and boring.

This is a major election year so unless totally banned we have to expect political topics. No problem there.

Prayer requests are absolutely welcome. Anybody suggesting banning those will be tarred and feathered and run out of town on a rusty rail.

Some of the OT topics are really on topic and that is where I get confused.
Here are some things we see marked OT, that really are ON topic for leverguns:
Scopes and other types of after market sight systems
Cleaning equipment
Knives
Shooting sticks
Ammunition: factory or reloaded, includes threads on powders primers and bullets
Leather; slings, scabbards, butt cuffs etc.
Problem diagnosis.
Custom features and alterations.

I also consider most threads regarding handguns and their accessories to be on topic, but maybe in a lesser way.

Do we need another section for OT threads? NO. Go look at The Ruger Forum, or The High Road, or Beartooth Shooters forum. Talk about too many different sections! It takes me a long time to check out a forum set up like that. So I miss much of it.

This forum is fine the way it is. Leave it alone.

JMNSHO

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Quick Karl wrote:So all other Off Topic posts are Ok but this one get you all sensitive? Was it something I said? :roll:

I was just posting an Off Topic post like so many others - I even labeled it correctly, as you suggested. I was bored and couldn't think of anything else to say or do so I came-up with MY Off Topic post...

I'm just trying to fit-in - Geez

Not sensitive at all, Karl. And this one, along with the others, is fine. I was just stating what should be obvious - if you don't like a format then there's other options available - find another forum that operates like you think it should or start your own. Or simply fit in right here and accept the place as it is with all its warts and wrinkles. Don't go saying that I'm trying to run you off or something, not at all. But on the other hand, as Hobie said, the forum's staying as it is - unless Paco himself asks for a change. It is, after all, his forum. Hobie and I are just the gate keepers and bouncers, so to speak.
Paul - in Pereira

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Quick Karl,

You will fit in just fine here and your comments are welcome. Just wear your thick skin as your apt to find out what others think. :D :D

(and skip over the topics you don't like)

blessings and welcome
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Karl, just be as kind and sensitive as me, and Joe Miller and everything will be fine......IE: WWJTD? (what would joe and tubby do?)

It's not a good idea to bleed in the water on any forum......I've been eaten alive by this bunch of yahoo's before......

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

BlaineG wrote:It's not a good idea to bleed in the water on any forum......I've been eaten alive by this bunch of yahoo's before......
And you keep on coming back for more! :shock: ;) :D In spite of our warts, wrinkles and differences - it's still a neat place to hang one's @...
Paul - in Pereira

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AmBraCol wrote:
BlaineG wrote:It's not a good idea to bleed in the water on any forum......I've been eaten alive by this bunch of yahoo's before......
And you keep on coming back for more! :shock: ;) :D In spite of our warts, wrinkles and differences - it's still a neat place to hang one's @...
PLEASE don't throw me in that briar patch, boss.......

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Modoc ED
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:11 am Post subject:
homefront wrote:
We only have 2 forum areas: General Discussion, and Classifieds. A 3rd category for Off Topic would complicate nothing, and make it far easier to find posts germane to Leverguns.

Wasn't "Germane" one of the "Pips" of "Gladys Knight & the Pips" fame?

No, Germain was one of the Jackson 5. I don't think he has a lever gun.
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

BlaineG wrote:Karl, just be as kind and sensitive as me, and Joe Miller and everything will be fine......IE: WWJTD? (what would joe and tubby do?)

It's not a good idea to bleed in the water on any forum......I've been eaten alive by this bunch of yahoo's before......
It can be harsh at times. I came here with "thin skin" and these guys toughened
me up quite a bit.

The most important thing is I stuck it out and learned quite a bit about myself.
I've been frustrated to the point of never coming back and have seen others
succumb to the feeling.

I may still have a big mouth, but I've also grown as a person too.

You would be surprised what someone who disagrees with you can teach
about yourself. It ain't easy though, I'll say that for sure.

If someone hurts your feelings, reread his post, there is always a lesson in
reading and understanding something you don't agree with.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I misread the title and thought this was a "optics" thread. :shock:
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

Germane....Germain....isn't that a flower with red petals...Geranium? :lol:
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

cowboykell wrote:Germane....Germain....isn't that a flower with red petals...Geranium? :lol:
The gosh dang Germans got nothing to do with it!!!!!

-Sheriff Buford T. Justice, Smokey and the Bandit.

:shock: :shock: :D :D
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
Quick Karl

Post by Quick Karl »

I don't mind the occassional Off Topic post, and have myself participated in a few intersting ones. But every lame worn-out joke and political essay day after day after day such that there are MORE Off Topic posts than LEVERGUN posts seems like a bunch of women sitting around gabbing.

I run like hell when women start gabbing.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

...or one woman whining that she doesn't want a bunch of gabby broads invited to her party because she doesn't like what they talk about.

:shock:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The fragmented sites like Marlin Owners, Ruger and Shiloh have no where near the sense of community and the participation levels that this has. It is easy to see what the OTs are - this is a better way.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Quick Karl

Post by Quick Karl »

FWiedner wrote:...or one woman whining that she doesn't want a bunch of gabby broads invited to her party because she doesn't like what they talk about.
Or anyone that says you are whining when you point out that they blab incesantly abount inane stuff.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

OK guys, let's move on. This thread's starting to drift into the unpolite zone. The forum's the way it is, for better or worse. It's the folks that make it up, so let's all do our best to keep it a classy place rather than drifting into personal attacks. So a lot of us have more in our lives than leverguns. That's healthy. And besides, the core group has been together for YEARS. Newcomers are welcome, but you've gotta take us like we are :shock: 'cause we ain't likely to change. :D 8)
Paul - in Pereira

HORACE
Levergunner

Post by HORACE »

As a 'newbie' myself I also agree to leave well enough alone. Besides, I'm learning a lot about US politics in this Presidential election year :P
Horace