Leveraction Hog Rifles

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Leveraction Hog Rifles

Post by C. Cash »

Last edited by C. Cash on Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hog Rifles

Post by JerryB »

Are they .44? .45? and 38-55?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hog Rifles

Post by C. Cash »

JerryB wrote:Are they .44? .45? and 38-55?
Hey Jerry! They are top: Marlin 336 Texan in 44 Mag.(44 Special cartridge pictured with Ranch Dog 260 gr.) BOTTOM: Winchester 94 Big Bore in 356 Winchester with 210 Gr. Beartooth LFNGC. Knife is Track of Wolf Cumberland Riflemans knife.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Leveraction Hog Rifles

Post by rjohns94 »

Very nice. I like the non-pistol grip stocks. That marlin is nice. Beautiful wood on the .356
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Very nice, should do a Hog real well!!!
Have a 375 BB, its the slickest lever I own, how's yours?

ollogger
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I agree Mike......Looks and feels right in every way. There is alot more work to be done with it to figure out what bullet/load it likes the best, but tht Ranch Dog sure did a good job on my son's Texas Hog. The Big Bores often have a nice slab of wood on them.

Olloger....yeah action is very slick and fitted well. My only other 94 was a 70s vintage gun but this one seems very well made in comparison.
BigMuddy
Levergunner

Post by BigMuddy »

I have a .356 just like that one...same sight and all. My son killed his first hog with it several years ago. It was a russian bore on a hunt that was his HS graduation gift. To say it worked well would be an understatement.

Two very nice lever shuckers!

Dan
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Very nice rifles. I esp. like the Texan cuz of the fluted comb and the smooth oiled stock.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Those should do fine on any wild game in North America. Nice looking rifles.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I like the Texan because it has the proper lever shape.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Grizz wrote:I like the Texan because it has the proper lever shape.
Proper is a "relative term" , what may be proper for you might not be for someone else . Now with that being I agree with you on this one . I've been an advocate of the 44MAG 336T and 444T for quite awhile.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

We've only been after the hogs once with them but looking forward to getting out again. The 356 Win. was very impressive on my smaller 165 pound boar. It went easily through both shoulders, making a large wound channel and dug a good furrow in the bank of dirt on the offside. Power to spare. The 44 Special round, even at very reduced velocity, fully penetrated both sides of my sons 185 lb. mature boar. Funny how we never see these kinds of rifles in the boar hunting articles!
Homer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Homer »

Decent selection I'm sure. I'm using a 30-30 with the Barnes TSX, or more than that a Marlin 375 using the Hornady 220 grain bullet at around 1950 fps. I don't expect there's a hog within 1,000 miles that can stand long after being hit by this load. I shot a big javalina with it this past week; broadside at 100 yards. It took one shot to the chest (severed its heart tubing and jellied its lungs) whereupon it in its tracks, then kicked itself 180 degrees before assuming ambient temperature. I don't expect any different reaction on a much bigger pig, or an elk for that matter.

I'm coming to really like this gun and cartridge. Marlin has a pistol grip that fits me well, sports a 4X scope (which I'll change to a variable 3X9 when I get a chance), barks instead of bellows, and gives a gentle pat to the shoulder when fired (she ain't got a mean bone in her body when it comes to me). The round is easy to load with a single-stage press, inexpensive Lee dies, and a Lee dipper. But all this easy gentleness goes away at the business end, where it hits hard and keeps them down.

I've got other guns, but the 30-30, and especially my 375 are all I think I'll ever need. And if I get a little nervous or just want to show off, I'll drag out the 348 or triple-4 and let them in on the fun. I gave my last 44 magnum to my youngest son and have none left. I might get another 44 Mag carbine if I find one I want, but I find little need for one when the 30-30 and 375 can do anything the 44 Mag can do most of the time - I'll use that cartridge in my handguns.
"Take everything but the fire." Long Hair in "The Cowboys"
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

You need to find something bigger to test that .356WCF on. It is close enough,not to matter, to the great .348WCF, which was designed for Alaskan Medium Range big game and Brown Bear medicine. That combo[the 94BB .356] is my alltime favorite. 8)
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Homer sounds like you have your bases well covered. Was hoping to get after the javelina this year with my Dad but had to use the airfare to come see my Mom in the hospital in Mesa. Maybe next year.
Tman.....I went with the Beartooth 210 as a deer/hog bullet. I believe that it would work on the big beasts as it ought to penetrate to beat the band. Not sure I want to find out though!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Chris, nice pig guns to be sure!!! I just went to my first "sausage party" last Saturday with a friend I have known through my motorcycle riding group for over a year. He just harvested some pigs with his hunting dogs. I asked him what firearm/cartridge he used, and he said "what do you mean?" He apparently kills them with a 9 inch long knife while his dogs are gnawing on the pig if I understood him correctly. When I said "why don't you just shoot him?" his response was "Well, that's kind of impersonal don't you think???" :lol:

So at the "sausage party" I'm talking to my friend's hunting partner's wife and telling her this story and she laughingly says, "they are SAVAGES!!!!!" :lol:

Personally, I would rather hunt and stalk and shoot a pig myself, but I have to give these guys credit for having maximum cajones for killing pigs by hand in conjunction with dogs.

Philosophically I'm sort of in the camp where you don't want a lot of adrenaline in the meat. Quick, clean kill, skin it immediately and put in a prepared cooler you have with you. I'm a bit of a reluctant hunter but if it leads to a really good steak or sausage I'm all over it!!! :lol:

I would use one of my super magnum handguns in 454 C or 460 S&W or rifle in 454 C or 358 Win myself.

Regards,

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

:lol: Yeah mine is likely just for show Andy......I would be better off carrying a tourniquet, some bandages and a pair of clean undies if things get close! :lol: You never know what your gonna do until it happens I guess but I like the idea of having one. I am not an experienced hunter at all but my hope is I will be before it's all over. If I spend good time with my boys doing it, it will have been worth it. Good to hear from you!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I am not an experienced hunter at all but my hope is I will be before it's all over
Ditto my friend!!!! :lol: Bless you and your children!!!!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Thank you Brother!