Problem refitting side plate on Uberti 73 Winchester

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Winchester73
Levergunner

Problem refitting side plate on Uberti 73 Winchester

Post by Winchester73 »

I recently bought a brand new Uberti Winchester 1873 in .44 WCF. Used it a couple of times and I'm very pleased with its smooth functioning and accuracy.
Just made what turns out to be a bad move in removing the side plates for a look-see at the toggle link and a little oiling. After removing the side plate screw, the left plate came off easily (i.e. fell off), and the right plate with a little tap. However, whichever way I try, I just can't get that right plate to go back on; it's as though the machining is just too tight a tolerance for the mortice to seat. Tried seating the front end first, and then tried the rear end first, no go. Had to give up after half an hour of jiggling it around.
Going to take it back to the dealer tomorrow. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced the same problem?

Thanks for reading.

Bob
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: Problem refitting side plate on Uberti 73 Winchester

Post by Shasta »

On my Cimarron '73, I have to start the front of the plate in at a slight angle, keeping it snug and square to the front of the receiver as I lower the rear of the plate in place. Sometimes a light tap with a small brass hammer is needed to seat the rear fully against the receiver, but it will usually just pop into place without the tapping.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Shasta wrote:On my Cimarron '73, I have to start the front of the plate in at a slight angle, keeping it snug and square to the front of the receiver as I lower the rear of the plate in place. Sometimes a light tap with a small brass hammer is needed to seat the rear fully against the receiver, but it will usually just pop into place without the tapping.
SHASTA
This. I happen to use a plastic mallet. That you had to tap it to get it out, indicates it may need a tap to get it back in.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Put the sideplate in the freezer for an hour. Put the gun, right side up in the hot sun for a while or use a hair dryer on it.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I have two similar rifles, use a bigger hammer. The front has to be started first, tap it forward.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Hawkeye2 wrote:Put the sideplate in the freezer for an hour. Put the gun, right side up in the hot sun for a while or use a hair dryer on it.
That's what I would try, I had a similar problem with a 73 but the side plates did go back with just a light tap.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Winchester73
Levergunner

Post by Winchester73 »

Thanks everyone. Took the rifle back to the dealer today and he just about did what you all suggested. Used a 2lb lump of lead bar and gave the side plate a couple of stout whacks which persuaded it to seat properly. Being a brand new gun, I didn't want to be the one to do it, but all's well, and the finish wasn't marred. I'll bear the freezer idea in mind should I be brave/stupid enough to remove the side plate again, but since the inside was clean as a whistle I don't suppose I'll need to do it any time soon.

Regards from across the pond.

Bob H
U.K
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Winchester73 wrote:...the inside was clean as a whistle I don't suppose I'll need to do it any time soon.
Regards from across the pond.
Bob H
U.K
Bob,

If the '73 is clean inside, you're not usin' the RIGHT ammo! Fill the cases to within a ¼" of the mouth with a good quality 2F BP, stuff in a waxed card and seat your cast bullet lubed w/rendered annimal fat and beeswax until you can crimp it in the groove! This way you'll have to take it apart for cleaning every 6 mos. to a year! :P :P That side plate'll soon be fallin' off and back on!! :twisted: :twisted:

Ok, ok, use 3F if you want more power! But, it won't get as gummed up as fast! :wink:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Ha Ha! Now Griff ........... he said it was a 44-40. :D Everyone knows they just shoot holy black cleaner! It might go 8 months instead of 6! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Winchester73
Levergunner

Post by Winchester73 »

Thanks for the tongue-in-cheek advice Griff; tempting, but I spend enough of my life cleaning my BP revolvers as it is!
Nice, clean shiny rifle...pretty. BP Noooooooooooooo! Well, maybe one day, when the newness has worn off.

Bob H
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Griff's right. No better way to get the new off. I shot a 2 day match with mine once (that's about a hundred rounds) and decided to pull the sideplates for cleaning. The white grease was still on the links and nothing showed signs of blow by so I put them back on and quit worrying about it. I do wipe the bore after a couple of stages with a patch dampened with a mixture of 1 oz Ballistol in 10 oz of water.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I shoot BP in my 73/44WCF, the innerds stay clean for a very long time. 45 colt, not so much.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30