Leverevolution powder?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Leverevolution powder?

Post by Canuck Bob »

I've been keeping an eye on this powder. There were some good threads here and I'm wondering now how folks see it as they have used it more?

My research suggests that the powder does well with full pressure loads but some seem to think it does not behave great in mid range loads, opinions?

I'm considering stocking some for my 32 Special and before I do I want to hear a bit more about folks experience with some time in. For what its worth I might try it with the 303 Brit for fun.
Rifleman
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Leverevolution powder?

Post by Rifleman »

Canuck Bob wrote:My research suggests that the powder does well with full pressure loads but some seem to think it does not behave great in mid range loads, opinions?
That is what I've concluded.
I was having a time trying to get it to shoot consistently.
Don't Like LEVERevolution Powder
The extreme spreads were too extreme.

Then I read a post on another forum and saw his ES was a lot less than mine was; his powder charges were a lot higher too. So I tried more powder and found it working better than I thought it would.

Lee 180gr RN, LEVERevolution Powder, 2338fps

That is the hardest hitting 30-30 load I've ever developed.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Last month, I worked up several loads with different powders and loads to try to find the most accurate load for my 94 30-30. The most accurate load was with Hornady FTX bullets and LVR powder. I've got some Sierra bullets that are next in line for load development. LVR will be a powder that I test.

It seems to hold a lot of promise.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Bob
I've shot it in several 25-35s & it worked out to be the best powder for them
have some loaded for 30-30 but haven't tried them yet (dang wind)
may try it in 32 WS, after seeing the video I dang sure will try it in a 30-30 with the Lee cast bullet

ollogger
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I found it works best with Max loads. The extreme spread is good then . Accuracy is good for all the extra velocity.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

It does seem to work as advertised. I've been reading a lot of happy customers with the FTX bullets in the 30/32 range. Good accuracy is often reported.
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I have used it in .35 Remington. With suggested max load and 200 grain Hornady it went into one ragged hole.
So far I am impressed. I plan to try it in a .32 WS and 30/30 also.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

LVR powder is one of my few loads which responded very favorably to a firm "Factory Crimp" using Lee's FC die. Slightly compressed load and a firm F.C. resulted in low spreads and best accuracy (along with much the highest velocity) for my 30wcf and 30 Remington loads. 24" bbls are putting the Sierra 170 grain bullet out there awful close to 2400 fps, which is what I was getting with the 150's. I played around with the 35 Remington also but didn't beat my RL15 loads in that case.

I have intentions of working with other cartridges and LVR but have fallen down on my duties. Ollogger's results in 25/35 surprise me as I'd not have thought it was ideal for that one: so now I'll have to also try it in my 25 Rem.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

With all the scarcity, I've been picking up different powders as I find them. I've got 4lb of the Lever Ev. and wondered how it would be. This is encouraging. Thanks :!:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I'm thinking the same Blaine. I can get LE in bulk containers. My biggest concern is being able to get reasonable cast performance loaded down a bit. It seems doable, here is a detailed post from the Boolits site.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... revolution

It does seem to be best in my guns, 32 Special and hopefully 303, with heaver bullets and a chance to build up pressure with solid crimps, heavier bullets, and maybe other tricks. I'm hoping for cast performance around 1800 fps with 170-190 gr bullets. I think a little filler to eliminate case volume might also work.

One thing for sure it should really shine in sturdy loads.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I tried a couple loads in my 30-30 AI with the LVR powder. I was so disappointed in both the velocity and accuracy that I haven't touched it since. There may be enough reason here to revisit experimenting. I'd like to try some of the Hornady gummy tips with it, but can't seem to locate any locally, and Midway is out. Trouble with the Ackley is that there is no SAAMI data, so without pressure trace equiptment it can get a little sketchy when pushing the upper limits where this powder apparently likes to play nice.
NRA Life Member
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

I like it! A lot! I load 30/30 near the top with the HORN. FTX, 35.0 gr LV. The max listed load is 35.5gr and it is compressed. One of these days I'll work up lighter loads and see where the accuracy drops off in both my rifles. This is the single most accurate 30/30 load I have ever used. I have some .35 rem loaded up but not tested yet.