Ran in another "Primitive Biathlon" -- Article & Video added

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Ran in another "Primitive Biathlon" -- Article & Video added

Post by Old No7 »

I was just thinking "how cool it would be" to do a variation of this event -- using Leverguns!!! :wink:

Some of you may recall that I ran in My First Winter "Primitive Biathlon" two years ago, as noted in that posting. I couldn't run it in Feb 2013 due to some serious rotator cuff pain (ouch!), but that's all better now, thanks to 3 months of physical therapy sessions and regular stretching and exercises. So I ran my 2nd Winter Biathlon yesterday, hosted by the infamous "Dalton Gang" who have a really nice facility in northern NH (1.5 hours north of North Conway).
Dalton BP 2014 (1) (Medium).jpg
While I was loading my capper and stuffing the pockets of my wool Union vest, I had an interested audience from the back of the SUV:
Dalton BP 2014 (2) (Medium).jpg
Last time I ran this event, I used a 6-pound T/C Cherokee in .45 cal, but this year, I traded up in weight to a 9-pound T/C Hawken .50 cal with the longer 32" 1-in-66" roundball barrel. I was hoping the extra weight would help me hold on targets better when winded. Here you can see that all loading and cleaning is done from a pouch, as there are no benches or anything to put your gear on. Just that rule, is a major change for most BP shooters. While you can use a sling, it would be for carrying only, but no slings or cross-sticks could be used to hold up the rifle when shooting. The trick is to strategically place the needed supplies where you can easily get to them. I had cleaning patches and tools in my left vest pocket. The right pocket held round balls and lubed patches, as although I had drilled out the .45-cal ball block the night before (holds 10 patched balls, ready to start in the muzzle), I hadn't checked the fit and they were just too snug to start the larger .490" balls and patches. Oops...
Dalton BP 2014 (4) (Medium).jpg
Around my neck, I wore a lanyard which held a nipple pick (used on every shot) and a wooden palm saver to seat the loads. On another lanyard, I had my T/C #11 capper, loaded full with caps (this went in the upper chest pocket). I had misc tools and paper tubes of powder in my loading pouch, which has a U.S. buckle on it, with crossed rifles on the flap. You can't make it out in the pictures, but I used a 32" solid brass ramrod for this, as that's what I'll use in the deer woods too. And as you can see, the snowshoes have to be wood/rawhide -- no aluminum or magnesium "modern" shoes allowed -- to keep with the spirit of the event.
Dalton BP 2014 (6) (Medium).jpg
These pix were taken on the practice range, and while my wife and I tried to time the shot and camera to get the rifle going off, you'll have to settle on this shot below which just shows the smoke clearing from the right of the view. I was really pleased to get 100% quick ignition on the practice range and for all 9 shots for score fired along the course (at 3 stations along the course, and one final one at the end). The two prior practice sessions hadn't gone as well... I was getting about 40% misfires over the last two weeks, when the #11 magnum caps went off OK, but the 3F 777 loads didn't ignite...

That was no fun at all... :x
Dalton BP 2014 (7) (Medium).jpg
I was so frustrated by that problem, that I almost didn't run the event this year... But my bride encouraged me to do it, as she enjoys the event and the nice drive through the NH mountains -- yeah that, and maybe the shopping and nice dinner in North Conway after we were done too. She also reminded me that I've been training for this for the last few months, and even got the new Hawken for the event. So she said I had to find a way to make it work... Then in a feat of either desperation or brilliance (or maybe both?), I opened up the Treso bronze nipple to 0.030" (from a tight 0.022") and switched to using 3F Schuetzen branded real blackpowder. Wow!!! That did the trick! Every shot went off with a BOOM! No "clicks", or "snap-pause-booms" or "ka-booms", just solid, quick ignition like you need. Guess I'll be using BP from now on in this gun.

Most of the other shooters tended to dress in the mountain man or French & Indian War dress. I am still the only Civil War vet, that I know of... Maybe a quarter were dressed in wool plaids and jeans, as the period dress is encouraged, but not mandatory. Here is "Elvis" in his camo, skins and furs... I'm told he does the Primitive Biathlon circuit around New England every winter and only wears those Elvis glasses for these events!?! Hey, if it works for him, who am I to argue...
Dalton BP 2014 (8) (Medium).jpg
Well, here I am at the starting shack getting ready to run off. They start you on the minute, separating the shooters by 3 or 4 minutes, and time you to the second. Last time I did this event, I ran "flats" on level 8 on our elliptical cross-trainer. This year instead, I ran "hills" and "random" workouts at levels 12 and 14, which worked my legs and lungs much harder. All of that paid off though, as I passed two shooters who started before me. I also learned from watching the .22 Olympics Biathlon coverage on TV by pacing myself on the first half of the course, which was all uphill. That way, I didn't wipe myself out too early and I had plenty of energy to run faster on the downhill sections.
Dalton BP 2014 (9) (Medium).jpg
I guess I learned a lot this year... The tougher physical training really helped, for sure. And it's very neat to have a reason to stay fit during what could be the "lazy, stay inside" time of year. I do need to slow down when I shoot and "hold and squeeze" a little better; and a healthy dose of "Aim small, miss small" wouldn't hurt me either... But overall, I was really pleased with getting 100% ignition on all the shots fired. That was the "gold medal" for me! It took me 30+ years to finally start using blackpowder in blackpowder guns, but the super-reliable ignition sure makes it worth doing. Guess I'll use-up the cans of 777 in my Old Army, where the straight-line powder channel has never been an issue.

Well, that's my report. If any of you New Englanders decide to give this event a try some year, send me a PM and we'll coordinate a visit at the Dalton Gang's range. For those interested, here's a Handy Link to a Primitive Biathlon Calendar which should get refreshed with new dates next year.

But I still like the idea of running a similar event with Leverguns... Anyone interested in that??? :wink:

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Old No7 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ran in another "Primitive Biathlon" Yesterday (blackpowd

Post by horsesoldier03 »

It looks like a fun event. I use pyrodex R in my Lyman 50 cal and have never had issues with a misfire. I am not sure if it is against your rules or not, but you might consider making some quick reloads that have a ball with a patch or a Minnie ball and premeasured charge.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Looks like fun not sure about all that white stuff. :D I made the switch to real black last winter after using Pyrodex for years. The real stuff performs so much better.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

That looks like a heap of fun. I've got the shoes and the rifles, but I'm a long ways from you. Instead, I spend yesterday crawling around deadfalls and thickets in moderately deep snow with a 39a looking for bunnies. I found a few, but they were too fast for me.

Real blackpowder is the only blackpowder. Pyrodex is fertilizer.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

That Dalton Gang is an awesome club! I cut my teeth on SASS shooting and Buffalo Bore shooting there! Wonderfully friendly people, and great cowboy action shooting.

I have always wanted to train for and do the primative biathalon there too.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Now THAT should be the OLYMPIC event!
...a reason to stay fit during what could be the "lazy, stay inside" time of year.
There's an understatement! The cold would get me... I just don't have primitive cold weather gear... I don't think my poly underoos would do. But if there was ever a reason to make a good capote that would be it.

The Dallas Muzzlerloaders used to have a "Frozen-Foot Rendevous" on Jan 1 every year... but after winning in 1991, I got disinvited! I think they were joking, but @ the time I was so involved in Cowboy Action I never pursued it! But their shooting was just traditional stationary target shooting, no racing involved.

And yeah, real BP has always worked well for me. Congrats on competing and finishing! ImageImage
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

What an interesting event...sounds extremely tempting, wonder if I could use my snowmobile???

Just kidd'n. The exercise would do me good and I have the shoes and rifles also.

Have you ever used the Lee R.E.A.L bullets? They work for me, both in accuracy and in loading efficiently. Used both genuine BP and Pyrodex R, the only difference that I noted was that BP fouled quicker.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

It would be a blast to do with lever guns AND blackpowder. I am hoping to shoot BP in the CLA nationals this year and it would be even more fun in a biathalon type of event.

Brent
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Awesome post...... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Fantastic.....glad you drilled the nipple....that is my number one recommendation.

I am interested in why you have to have cleaning patches n' stuff with you??
I shoot all day without cleaning see!

Congrats all the same, your fitness is encouraging.

N :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Excellent post
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Good for you, sounds like you had a great time, thanks for sharing :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

That does look like fun ! Glad the stick worked better this year for ya too :D
----- Doug
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

IMPRESSIVE performance and event!!

Could you elaborate a bit on the what worked for your shoulder please? I got two lumpy old linebacker shoulder joints!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Beauty. Looks like a hoot.

But doesn't a biathalon require skis (even if old-style/period)? I thought snowshoeing + rifle = somethig else...

(Old biathalon kid here...)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Great post!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Hold the presses!!!

Would you believe The Boston Globe not only ran an article about this event, but they actually had a picture of a rifle and dared to use the words "rifle" and "gun" in print!?!? Wow!
Boston Globe article

And this video has been posted, and yours truly shows up at 3:22 and 3:38. :wink:
YouTube Video

Tight groups!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH