Snow versus Airport versus ON TIME !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Snow versus Airport versus ON TIME !

Post by 6pt-sika »

I swear to God it looks like every year when I get ready to leave for the Philippines the weather looks fine up until about a week or so before it's time for me to leave !

I'm flying out of Dulles (supposedly) saturday morning about 10AM . While I am hoping they'll have everything under control and on schedule for the flight to Dubai by then but I dunno !

The same flight I'm taking saturday left today 6 hours late . Which unto itself isn't so bad except once I arrive in Dubai I have about 3 hours before I catch my connector to Manila !

Seems they're calling for another 1-3 inches at Dulles tonight and possibly snow showers saturday morning . As long as it's no worse then their projection I would "assume" all should be well for me .

Ah I feel better now :roll:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Re: Snow versus Airport versus ON TIME !

Post by wecsoger »

With my knowledge of airlines, you may be trying to draw to an inside straight. I'll assume you know to start checking your airline departures and arrivals maybe starting *now* to get a feel how they and your airport is faring.

Right now I've got two guys up in Burlington NJ, right across from Phillie. They are stuck in their hotel room, not going anywhere. They were on our Thursday morning conference call feeling marooned up there.

It ain't helping they're two of our group from south of Atlanta and one guy is originally from South Africa - meaning he's clueless and now amazed. (grin)
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Might depend on where your plane is supposed to be coming from before you get on it in Dulles.

I would have guessed you would have turned left out of Dulles instead of right to get the Philippines.

Good luck.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Absolutely correct and that's why I said to start checking your airline arrivals, in addition to the departures.

One of the funniest flights I was on, think it was an MD-80 and there were two (2) of us as PAX. Yes, two. It was the last flight, late at night (arrival after midnight) into a terminal in the midwest.

Aircrew straight up said the airline would have cancelled the flight (two people, seriously?) and stranded us but the airplane needed to be be in place for the next day's operations starting at six or seven.

It was a great flight, really. We all sat around chatting, all the snacks and soft drinks, coffee, etc. we wanted.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BrentD wrote:Might depend on where your plane is supposed to be coming from before you get on it in Dulles.

I would have guessed you would have turned left out of Dulles instead of right to get the Philippines.

Good luck.
I truely detest going west and having to change planes in San Fran or LAX . If I never set foot in an airport in Californication again I'll be happy .

I've gone west twice , north twice and this will be the second time I've gone east .

Going west across Californication and the Pacific is my least favourite . Going north over the arctic is usually my favourite . But this trip and last year I'm going east across the Atlantic and over to Dubai then from Dubai to Manila .

Also by airline I like Emirates and Korean the best . Delta can lick my left one and to fly PAL I usually have to go thru Cali or Vancoover .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

wecsoger wrote:With my knowledge of airlines, you may be trying to draw to an inside straight. I'll assume you know to start checking your airline departures and arrivals maybe starting *now* to get a feel how they and your airport is faring.

Right now I've got two guys up in Burlington NJ, right across from Phillie. They are stuck in their hotel room, not going anywhere. They were on our Thursday morning conference call feeling marooned up there.

It ain't helping they're two of our group from south of Atlanta and one guy is originally from South Africa - meaning he's clueless and now amazed. (grin)

The plane that takes me usually comes from somewhere in the middle east or Europe so that should take that out of the equation . I've been watching the Dulles flight website thingy and it appears all flights heading to anywhere on the east coast from Atlanta up to Boston are s...h..i...t outta luck as well as into the midwest . However it looks like all flights heading to the middle east or most of europe are okay .
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Try the flight aware app. You can check specific flight numbers or city pairs. Also you can check previous flight info on same aircraft.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

samb wrote:Try the flight aware app. You can check specific flight numbers or city pairs. Also you can check previous flight info on same aircraft.

I found something already for Dulles that pretty much tells you most everything . And the Emerites website is pretty decent as well .

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airport/w ... rtCode=IAD
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm sure you're stressed enough... try not to borrow more from the future. Chill bro. Ok... poor choice of words... try to relax. Better?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Sounds like it's time to get her to the U.S.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

nemhed wrote:Sounds like it's time to get her to the U.S.
You are quite correct ! However once I get there I always have a nice time .
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

I spent a decade in the aviation business, and picked up this useful reminder along the way.

If you have time to spare...travel by air. :wink:
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

PaperPatch wrote:
Don't forget money!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

nemhed wrote:
PaperPatch wrote:
Don't forget money!

Dude with Dubai being my layover place one needs to think "money THREE times over" :(
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well the golden horse shoe must still be lodged up there because I got to manila without hitch.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well the golden horse shoe must still be lodged up there because I got to manila without hitch.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

6pt-sika wrote: Dude with Dubai being my layover place one needs to think "money THREE times over" :(
I can think money all I want, but it still won't appear in my wallet - I know for sure because I thought hard about it all day and just checked my wallet... :)

Good luck over there.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BrentD wrote:
6pt-sika wrote: Dude with Dubai being my layover place one needs to think "money THREE times over" :(
I can think money all I want, but it still won't appear in my wallet - I know for sure because I thought hard about it all day and just checked my wallet... :)
And to be honest that was less then I was expecting !

Good luck over there.
When I landed in Dubai Saturday I decided I wanted a snack and a beer so I went to this Asian history kinda place . They had Guiness on tap so I got a pint . Also ordered some tuna sashimi and a Diet Pepsi . Now here cones the kicker , the total including a $5 tip was $30
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Well, you got one thing right - Guiness!
Pierre