Olympics biathlon

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Olympics biathlon

Post by Mac in Mo »

Coverage of the biathlon is on network television. I can only imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth that is going on in Hoplophobiaville.

Kevin
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Olympics biathlon

Post by AJMD429 »

It's OK, because those are clearly just 'sporting rifles', and since they are merely sort of a side-prop to the 'legitimate sport' of skiing, they can be tolerated. :roll:

Since the original Olympics featured competition related to individual physical prowess, and in many instances related to one's battlefield abilities, we SHOULD be having modern-day Olympics that feature competition shooting at human silhouette targets with AR-15's out to 600 yards, and 338 Lapuas from 600-1200 yards. Grenade throwing into small openings, and directed mortar-fire, could be legitimate Olympic competitions, as well. Then of course there would be scrambling across an obstacle-course while firing a semiautomatic handgun (and the sports commentators could 'debate' the trend towards competitors using the 9mm M-92's vs 45 ACP 1911's, just as they debate new types of skis :D ).

Can you imagine Piers Morgan's blood-pressure if we had such events in the Olympics...? :twisted:

. . . but instead we have "Olympic Figure Skating". . . ??? I'm all for beauty and grace and dance and athletics, and the female skaters' perfectly-contoured gluteals certainly are pleasant to watch, but I just can't relate them to 'Olympics' in the historically original context.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Modern pentathalon was deliberately founded to represent the skills an officer courier needed to survive on the battlefield delivering messages. Riding horseback (in the 1890s, normal for officers), fencing and pistol shooting, swimming (rivers) and running (obvious).

Up until around the 1930s, competitors used service pistols. George Patton competed in the 1912 Olympics in the pentathalon using his issued revolver I think, set up with a trigger job.

Norway just won the Biathalon 10k sprint, despite the guy having a penalty. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth among the Russians.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

They did interrupt the coverage to have a discussion about speed skating. You can tell they hated to cover it. American took 19th. (I did my own biathlon today, snow shoeing and shooting. Had a blast)
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

PArt of the reason I got my HS Letter in Small Bore Rifle was Biathalon training...

Seems like Cross Country Skiing, Shooting, and Alpine Wyoming just go together... :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Mike,

Is that the one you posted about before, using BP rifles? Let us know how it went for you.

Kevin
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

rjohns94 wrote:They did interrupt the coverage to have a discussion about speed skating. You can tell they hated to cover it.

You must have been watching a different Olympic Biathalong than I was. The announcers were really pumped and yet, the best American was a distant chance, at best, to score even a bronze, which he didn't.

I thought it was great coverage and some fairly knowledgeable announcing that commented on each competitor's personal strengths and weaknesses. They had done their homework.

I'd like to try one of those biathalon rifles some day.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Once they finished the interview the coverage was good, I agree!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Kevin,

No it wasn't that event, this was a self event. I snowshoed around the game lands for exercise, about 6 miles, along the way, breaking in my 22 straight pull "biathlon " rifle on a limit of bushy tails !

Mike
Mike Johnson,

BrentD

Post by BrentD »

rjohns94 wrote:Once they finished the interview the coverage was good, I agree!
I just watched the whole thing. Pretty good from start to end I thought. When I lived in Oslo, it was common to see guys and gals loading cars with skiis and rifles for a Saturday of practice.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I down loaded the app for NBC in order to watch the more interesting stuff rather than figure skating :lol:
Mike Johnson,

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

The biathlon is probably one of the few things I am genuinely interested in (or more apt, can relate to).
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Does anyone know about the app?

Can You watch the events on demand with the app?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

You can watch the events live and watch any of the past events on demand.
Mike Johnson,

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Thanks Mike, I can't watch during the day when they're live. I work nights now and sleep days.

There are two twin girls in the ladies biathlon from the U.S. I'd like to see.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.