Fox news reported Yahoo passwords hacked

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Fox news reported Yahoo passwords hacked

Post by madman4570 »

Said like 273 million email password accounts have been hacked, they said change your password ASAP!

Peace! :wink:
Ysabel Kid

Re: Fox news reported Yahoo passwords hacked

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Haven't heard this. Was this confirmed?
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Yahoo gets hacked about every six months. Year in and year out.

One reason I don't use Yahoo. I used to deal with hacked email accounts leading to fraud and a wide variety of other charges like identity theft for a living.....heed my words or not, up to you.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

If a Yahoo email account password can be hacked, then would that not also be the case with any email account from any other web source? I was under the impression that only the account holder knows his password. Does yahoo have password info?
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

OK. I get it. Malware hidden in email. I guess its good to look at the news sometimes
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Yahoo doesn't have the password but the hackers pick numbers of e-mail addresses and run a program on them till they get a password and then the e-mail account is used to send out spam I own/mederate a couple of Yahoo! groups and this happens fairly regurally. the affected individual can rectify the problem by changing their password.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

So i was right the first time. It could be done with any email account or any thing requiring a password for that matter. I guess that the program they are using, runs until it finds the password. Would yahoo see all the login attempts at their end?
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

madman4570 wrote:Said like 273 million email password accounts have been hacked, they said change your password ASAP!

Peace! :wink:
Probably better wording would be that the Yahoo users have the potential of being hacked! Not they all were hacked! :wink:
http://www.slashgear.com/yahoo-mail-hac ... -30315146/
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

It can be done to anyone, however individual email provider's security ranges widely. Hotmail used to get hit pretty regularly. Gmail, due to Google practices, does not. You can either do malware through the email 'click this link!' type stuff, or the actual website can either be spoofed, so you're putting in an email address and password to what looks like a legit site but is not, as well as various other methods, both of which kept me real busy for a couple years in the business I was in.

As much as I dislike Google, their email system is probably one of the more secure ones not running PGP out there right now.