32-20 and Power Pistol Powder

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Doc.Holliday
Levergunner 1.0

32-20 and Power Pistol Powder

Post by Doc.Holliday »

I am loading for a 32-20 rifle and have a bit of a surplus of Power Pistol.
I am shooting 115 gr rnfp plain base hard cast bullets.
Has anyone used this powder for more than cowboy load velocities and have any loads they could share?
Kinda hoping it could temporarily replace the Unique I cannot buy yet!

kind regards
Doc
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 32-20 and Power Pistol Powder

Post by Mescalero »

doc,
I saw unique at the last gun show, thought it was expensive; but not SO expensive that I did not buy Red Dot for the same price.
Thanks Blaine.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Doc -- Power Pistol should be just what the doctor ordered for such an application. I asked the question of good old QuickLoad, which thinks you'd have 1400 fps from this load (out of a 22" bbl) with 8 grains of 2400 or 4.9 grains of Unique or 5.4 grains of Power Pistol. I took the 1400 fps level because that seems to be a good accuracy level with plain base bullets, though from a pressure standpoint you could go considerably beyond if you desired. At 1400 fps the Power Pistol load is guestimated to give 14K psi, the Unique load 18K psi and the 2400 load 12K psi.

My one caution is that while the 2400 and Unique loads are bulky enough that you couldn't fit a double charge in the case, the Power Pistol load would allow a double charge to fit. So make sure you check your powder levels after charging the cases. And I hope you have access to a chronograph to kind of validate this load guestimating: if the velocity prediction comes out close then I feel better about the pressure prediction.

Half a grain more powder would get you to 1500 fps and half a grain less would drop you to 1300 fps (approximately). Pressures all very modest. QuickLoad thinks you'd hit their suggested max pressure of 30K psi with 7.9 grains of the Power Pistol reaching 1833 fps.

I have not used Power Pistol in this application (my load has been the 8/2400 one) but I'd expect good results. As I looked at this question for you I noticed that 4.8 grains of Green Dot should also give that 1400 fps level and since I have a gob of Green Dot I think I'll give that one a try one of these days soon.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Earl, I just checked my notes on 32wcf loads as I thought I had tried the 115 with 2400 but the load was with the 85 gr XTP and it 8.7 gr of 2400 for about 1390fps. Ihave never been able to get a good load with the 115 gr cast with any powder. But my old rifle shoots the XTP bullets like a laser with 2400 and 5744.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Doc.Holliday
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Doc.Holliday »

Thank-you kindly Earl. Again you have come thru with very helpful advice and wisdom to my questions.
I have a new chrony ordered as I lent my last one to a cousin who promptly shot it with his first round with a .243.
I am hoping it will be here the start of next week so I can validate your findings and keep you apprised.
I have used Power Pistol with good results in 45 colt in the past and really appreciated its burning and performance characteristics. A tad more velocity than Unique for a tad more powder and a bonus of cleaner brass and bore.
Much appreciated Earl
Doc