Will a Winchester 1873 barrel work in a Win 1892 action?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
levers
Levergunner 2.0

Will a Winchester 1873 barrel work in a Win 1892 action?

Post by levers »

I've got an old, beat up Winchester 1892 rifle that has a completely shot barrel on it. I have a decent Winchester 1873 barrel that's been laying around here for years. Will the 1873 barrel work on the 1892 action without having to do anything to it?

Thanks for any help
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Re: Will a Winchester 1873 barrel work in a Win 1892 action?

Post by Mike Hunter »

levers short answer is No. although you didn't mention the caliber.

The shank dia and thread pitch are the same, although the shank lengths are different, off the top of my head the 92 is slightly shorter. If its a 44 or 38 cal, it will require cutting the ejector relief cuts.

all other measurements should be the same, forend tennon, sights etc.

V/R

Mike
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, if anybody knows for sure, Mike does - yer talking to the horse's mouth, levers.

http://www.mikehunterrestorations.com/test.html

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pete44ru wrote:FWIW, if anybody knows for sure, Mike does - yer talking to the horse's mouth, levers.
That's good; too often when I am seeking advice in unknown territory, I feel like I get the other end of the horse advising me. . . :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
levers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by levers »

Thanks Mike. It is a 32-20. Appreciate the help.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

From what Mike said, it may be relatively easy to adapt it to the 92. Most of the hard work is done, shortening it to the correct length and rechambering it, and perhaps the extractor cut. Unless it would be more practical to sell the 73 barrel and get a 92 barrel, or have one made.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
levers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by levers »

[quote="Malamute"]From what Mike said, it may be relatively easy to adapt it to the 92. Most of the hard work is done, shortening it to the correct length and rechambering it, and perhaps the extractor cut. Unless it would be more practical to sell the 73 barrel and get a 92 barrel, or have one made.[/quote]

Selling the 73 barrel, or trading it, seems like the best option.