Rossi .22mag pump,need help..

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Rossi .22mag pump,need help..

Post by 308magtip »

I have a Rossi .22 mag Mod 59M I think it is.Was a gift 2 years ago.Have a small feed problem.When a round is lifted up from the tube and the bolt starts to move it forward,at the last instant before entering the chamber it turns ever so slightly to the left enough to not enter the chamber.If I bump the gun or finger move the round to the right it will feed.Two gunsmiths took it apart and said they could find nothing wrong.Anyone know of a gunsmith who can correct this problem?
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Rossi .22mag pump,need help..

Post by BigSky56 »

I have one but its in the ranch truck I will go out there this afternoon and look at it and get back to you after supper tonight. danny
msdb
Levergunner

Post by msdb »

If you don't have a copy of the exploded parts diagram, you might want to look at this link, its for the Rossi pump 22LR but the 22 mag may be similar:

http://stevespages.com/pdf/rossi_pump_22.pdf

Just a couple of guesses here, it looks like the extractor is off on the right side of the bolt. If it engages the rim during feeding and if it plays a role in aligning the round to enter the chamber maybe the extractor has weakened and cannot keep the round straight or maybe it's too strong?

Another guess is the round may be a bit short in over all length (OAL). Some guns are sensitive to OAL and ammo companies do vary a bit in spec sometimes, even between lots. Perhaps you can try another brand of the proper ammo.

You could always send it back to Rossi.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

If your not using the wrong ammo then the carrier is the problem the chamber of the carrier only allows so much movement of the shell I can use WRM and WRF ammo and they both work fine. If a gunsmith cant figure out what wrong their not gunsmiths. Nothing that some tweeking or welding, if its worn out, cant fix. danny
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 308magtip »

I have Fed 50 gr hp's.They are 1.335". oal.max is 1.350".I tried win,rem and cci.same feed problem with them.using the feds cause they are most accurate in this and my old savage bolt 22mag.If anyone knows of a repair shop that can help please let me know.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I saw a complete parts kit on gunbroker the other day.
Check the gun parts kits section.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Magtip go ahead and break down the gun how to is in the owners manual, theres a takedown screw back it out pull back on the buttstock the gun will come apart and expose the carrier you can place a loaded shell in the carrier chamber and see what your problem is there shouldnt be much movement especially to the left as the carrier chamber is solid on that side the right side has a open slot and a cutout for the extractor to pass thru and clear the carrier if theres movement it would be on the right side and alittle bit of steel on the inside of the chamber on both sides of the carrier slot then smoothed up would tighten up shell. As a side note after I mounted a scout scope on mine I can get good groups and its a predator killer. danny
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 308magtip »

Broke down the Rossi pump.By droping a shell in the carrier it looks as if the base of the carrier is not flat.Sort of drilled with a drill that had a defective base.The bottom of the carrier is high on the left and low on the right.Maybe when the extractor engages the shell rim if it engages it at all until the sheel is chambered that maybe the trouble.I may have a gunsmith /machineist try to flatten out the carrier at the base.