NOT OT! Yeah! Which .357 Levergun - For Truck Carry Gun?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

NOT OT! Yeah! Which .357 Levergun - For Truck Carry Gun?

Post by rjohns94 »

Ok, so I been pondering this one for a bit - Was thinking a .45LC or 30-30 trapper. But now I am thinking .357. Winchester 92's running $1100. Found a used Marlin for 350. Rossi (thinking Steve could do the work) run about 4bills. There are Hartfords out there in a variety of styles - Know anything about them? I don't. the brass framed one would be kewl.

this rifle is going to go in my truck, replacing the 30 carbine that will ride in there when my year with blackpowder is up.

I am thinking of having it hard cromed, cut to 16" and slicked up and some high vis sights on it.

What features would you have on such a gun? Lets say it may be used for Ground hogs, fox, deer, and perhaps a camp gun against two legged varmitstoo. I was thinking the work that Steve does on his rifles to make them more reliable are called for here. What say the experts????
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Cherokee
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Cherokee »

I perfer the Marlin but the Rossi is good as well, especially if Steve can make sure it feeds right. My first one didn't, the second one did. Brass frame is nice looking until it starts to turn on ya - being a truck gun you aren't gona polish it every month or so. I also like 45 Colt, especially for deer and the 2-leg type. Just some thoughts....
God Bless America
NRA Endowment
TSRA Life
SASS
USAR
Ruger & Marlin Accumulator
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Mike,

I have an older Rossi 92 / 357 that Steve worked over for me last year. New sights and an action job. What a great rifle it is now and a BLAST to shoot. One of my favorite "Fun Guns". As smooth as one of my Winchesters. I also have a little trapper length .44 SRC that's pretty neat too but since I had the .357 re-worked it doesn't get much use and have been thing about selling it since I have several other trapper length carbines.

Can't go wrong w/ one of Steve's guns.

Paired up w/ my WWII Victory Model.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JohnnyReb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnnyReb »

I am no expert. However, truck gun for me is a carbine (16 in. barrel); light recoil (357 is good); and doesn't bother me if it is beat up alittle.

I bought a Win 94 in 44mag (load with 44spl. unless I am deer hunting) in a carbine. Only problem is that now the Win. is no longer produced then I do care about the bumps and scars!

I would not personally recommend the high dollar Win 92. Get a Rossi(still not cheap but can be replaced more easily) and have it slicked by Steve.
Redneck suicide note: Here, hold my beer and watch this!!
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

If budget is a prime concern (and it almost always is with me!), I'd go looking for a scruffy but sound Marlin 336 .30-30 for no more than $200. If its looks offended me, I'd spent a couple of evenings cleaning it up a bit, maybe touching up the stock finish and the bluing. And then, I'd be happy!

Sure, a 16" barrel is mighty handy -- but a 20 incher is no handicap, and could always be shortened. Yes, a nice .357 will kick less, but what are you, a wimp??? :) .30-30 is not exactly brutal in the recoil department.

To my mind, a "truck rifle" needs to be handy and powerful enough to meet whatever unexpected need I may have in the way of a rifle, but be inexpensive and common enough that I won't mourn too much over the inevitable dings and scrapes it will gather, or devastated if it somehow walks away.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Truck Gun = inexpensive(ish), short-moderate length and not prone to rust.

NKJ "Hartford" Rossi '92 in bead blasted Stainless.

12rds of go-to goodness.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Can't go wrong with a used Rossi Puma m92.Hit the Gunshops/pawnshops.My go to/truck gun is a SS 20" M92 SRC in 45 Colt.Loaded with Corbon loads a 2/4 legged varmint stopper.Pumas can be had in 16" barrel length. :wink:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

OI - that is exactly what I am looking for. Did you just get that done by NKJ? What all was done so I can send him a note on that?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Old Ironsights wrote:Truck Gun = inexpensive(ish), short-moderate length and not prone to rust.

NKJ "Hartford" Rossi '92 in bead blasted Stainless.

12rds of go-to goodness.
Stainless is better than hard chrome and Steve can make a trapper of it. The .357 Mag is fully capable of doing much and is much better on deer than the .30 Carbine. Ammo will be, like the old .30 WCF, available everywhere ammo is sold. Just about perfect for the use if you ask me.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
stormspotter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by stormspotter »

Going to have Steve slick up my Interarms M92 with 16" barrel. Here it is with my Ruger 50th Anniversary.

Republic. I like the sound of the word. It means people can live free, go or come, buy or sell, be drunk or sober, however they choose. Some words give you a feeling. Republic is one of those words that makes me tight in the throat . . . . Some words can give you a feeling that makes your heart warm. Republic is one of those words.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

thanks Hobie, I would agree with you. I thought about the .45lc, but for plinking and such, I think I will go with .357.

Pisgah, not a wimp, I shoot 45-70 in my 1886 and 45-90 in my sharps and 50/60 in my other sharps, and .54-110 in my Flintlock. :D

I have sent NKJ an email, will have the stainless 20 inch Rossi BB and action done and sights, mag follower, and remove the safety.

thanks
Mike Johnson,

homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

I've got an 18" Marlin (beneath the 20" .41) that'll ride with a GP100 and 50 or so rounds as truck ordinance. Right next to the B.O.B. :D
Antietamgw
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Antietamgw »

Mike.
I have a 65 mile commute to the two large cesspools just SE of you and spend the day (or night) in some of the very worst parts of town. It doesn't take long before you get to know the faces of the regular drug dealers, hookers and homeless on the street. I picked a Rossi '92 Trapper (Interarms era) in .357 for the same reasons that alot of folks do - short, effective, always close at hand and doesn't stand out in a crowd. The only changes I've made is to add a Lyman 66 receiver sight and slick up the action. I plan to get rid of the barrel band mounted front sight. It hasn't caused me any trouble and I haven't gotten around to it. Along with a good pair of boots, a change of clothes, a couple MRE's and a couple bottles of water in a small pack, I can get home if conditions get bad and driving is impossible.

I bought it with this in mind but it has become my most used fun gun. I was never a can shooter until I got this little gem. When I was a kid, .22's were too expensive for anything but game or paper and in later years I was always looking for the best load. I finally learned! I'm a confirmed can killer now and it's a different kind of fun. My 13 year old daughter saw it one day and thought it was "cute". She is into sports, band, friends and is now National Honor Society and doesn't shoot much. In fact, when she was about 7, the spring air gun I bought her for Christmas "kicked". She shoots this little Rossi well with .38 target loads and has no problem with the recoil. Full power .357's won't give you any problems and shoot within 4 inches of the target load in my gun.

Any of your choices would work fine. The tinkerer/gunsmith/experimenter in me thought I ought to look for a 336 to shorten and slim down. When I really think about it, there isn't anything it can do, for my purposes, that the little Rossi won't. That doesn't mean I'm not looking for a beat 336 but it won't take the place of the Rossi :D

Like Old Ironsights said "12rds of go-to goodness". It's a wonderful thing.
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Here is mine from Steve. He got the 16 inch stainless trapper in .357 for me, bead blasted it, did action job, sights, metal follower, and cured the funky safety. I flat love it. Jim

"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

rjohns94 wrote:OI - that is exactly what I am looking for. Did you just get that done by NKJ? What all was done so I can send him a note on that?
Just call Steve and tell him you want an "Old Ironsights Special"... He can build it in his sleep. :wink:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

jazman wrote:Image
That is a NEAT gun...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

jazzman, how many rounds does it hold? very nice. Why did you go with the trapper, (which I am considering) over the 20" barrel? I think I will have one of our own provide a leather ammo holder for the stock and I will have sling swivels installed too.

anything else you would do? do you have problems with the sights and gettting to POA=POI?

Anteitamgw - I work in one of those cesspools and travel from york each day. Your thoughts on trapper vs 20"?
Mike Johnson,

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I kept the 20" because I like the ballance better and it holds 12. 16 has got to hold 10 or less.

Since I had Steve add a Williams FP to mine, I also ordered a Skinner thin-blade front sight. Suits my shooting style better than a bead.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Mike,

I have a Ford F150. In that truck the trapper has no "handiness" advantage over the 20" barrel gun. However, in the wife's XTERRA or my mom's Subaru wagon, the shorter gun has advantages.
Sincerely,

Hobie

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

thanks OI and Hobie. I started out thinking trapper, but now I'm leaning to the 20" barrel. I have a Toyota Tacoma so either would work I think. would be really neat to have a take down version !!!!!! wonder if that can be done.?
Mike Johnson,

meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I've got both a 20" and 16" version in 22lr, 357mag, 44mag, and 30-30.

Without a doubt, for my purposes, I know the 16" can do everything the 20" barrels can do.

I think the only advantage of a 20" is maybe a couple more rounds.

So my take is that if it's going to be used as an all around gun, you really can't beat the 16" Trapper length.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

My "Truck Gun" is a Mosin Nagant carbine. $80 and who cares if its beat up. handy little rifle but packs plenty of punch though. Any of my levers cost to much to leave in the truck.
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

505stevec wrote:My "Truck Gun" is a Mosin Nagant carbine. $80 and who cares if its beat up. handy little rifle but packs plenty of punch though. Any of my levers cost to much to leave in the truck.
Well, I'd carry a lever in a veeHICKLE, but I bought a really beat up Steyr M95 in 8X56R just for that purpose. Seventy bucks, I think.
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Hobie wrote:Mike,

I have a Ford F150. In that truck the trapper has no "handiness" advantage over the 20" barrel gun. However, in the wife's XTERRA or my mom's Subaru wagon, the shorter gun has advantages.
Which is what makes an underfolder AK so very nice. Much shorter than a trapper, with 30 rounds to boot.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I really like the 16 inch, just more handy to me for taking along and also in the bush...plus I already had a 20 inch that I gave to my son last Christmas. Either way, get stainless and you can't go wrong.
Antietamgw
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Antietamgw »

20" vs. 16"
In a utility gun like this I don't think it really matters. I could easily go either way and have been thinking hard about making mine a takedown so I could use a couple different barrels, like a .256 WM. and a longer .30 or .357 barrel. If I could cut metric threads on my lathe the job would already be in progress. If my little Rossi had a 20" barrel, I'd be just as happy. I believe the little extra muzzle weight and extra rounds in the 20" version have their merits and are good things for hunting, can punching and such. I think the addition of a receiver (vs. tang) sight with a couple aperatures and an action job matter a lot more if it's ever needed for it's first intended purpose. In the end, I figured if I did my homework the tool at hand would do the job if I needed it bad. Those glass beaded stainless guns are sure pretty!

Nothing fancy, I use the Merit aperature for plinking, no aperature when she lives in the truck. I don't go to work until late tonight and just got back from taking her for a walk.
Keep your sword and your plow share, know how and when to use them.
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ursavus.elemensis »

Mike, you are getting some good advice here. I have a .357 Magnum Winchester 94AE Trapper that I got a month ago, and I really like it. As someone else said, however, I wouldn’t want to leave my Winchester’s in the vehicle or let them get banged up.

http://www.acslpa.org/pa_uniform_firearms_act.htm
Last edited by ursavus.elemensis on Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people"
-The Declaration of Independence
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

Marlin 1894CP or a Winchester Trapper is the way to go!!

TomF
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

505stevec wrote:My "Truck Gun" is a Mosin Nagant carbine. $80 and who cares if its beat up. handy little rifle but packs plenty of punch though. Any of my levers cost to much to leave in the truck.
I too usually pack a M38 in my personal vehicle. Against policy to have a firearm in a company truck. Trying to get that changed. Also been known t carry a short arreled Mossberg 12 ga and a shoulder bag fuul of 00.

not everybody needs 30 round mags! and not a big loss if is walks off.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

just got done talking to Steve. What a great guy. We worked out some issues and we have settled on:

Rossi 20" SS bead blasted all over.
Williams rear peep sight
Action job by NKJ
remove the safety and fill with tapered pin
med LSI lever
metal mag follower
sling swivels
large bead front sight

I will have a leather ammo holder on the stock made.

Now I get to wait 5 months till done. Thanks for all the help folks.
Mike Johnson,

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I did have one further question: What is the optimum barrel length for .357? Does the extra 4 inches help on a 20" over 16"?????
Mike Johnson,

Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

rjohns94 wrote:I did have one further question: What is the optimum barrel length for .357? Does the extra 4 inches help on a 20" over 16"?????
You get a little higher muzzle velocity, but not enough to make a difference...
Semper Fi
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Good job, you are gonna love it, no question, it's already my favorite gun. I don't know if you have someone in mind for the leather, check out Levergun Leather, Lever is very cool and an excellent guy to deal with also. Jim

http://www.levergunleather.com/p_products.htm
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Mike,

ScottT saw no negatives when his .357 Mag carbine was shortened (before it was stolen from his truck).
Sincerely,

Hobie

Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

You will be the envy of all the truckers now :wink:

I travel a route from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay dragging load of fuel a few times a week.

I figgure that if some raghead wants to take it from me, the little Marlin 94C should help hook him up with some virgins...

Not real heavy artillery, but effective with quite a few load options and easy to use from the seat if necessary. The four legged varmints are not real fond of it :lol:

Certainly a fun little rifle and easy to keep fed.

Enjoy.

Scotty
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

You will be the envy of all the truckers now :wink:

I travel a route from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay dragging load of fuel a few times a week.

I figgure that if some raghead wants to take it from me, the little Marlin 94C should help hook him up with some virgins...

Not real heavy artillery, but effective with quite a few load options and easy to use from the seat if necessary. Lots of swing room in a Kenworth. The four legged varmints are not real fond of it :lol:

Certainly a fun little rifle and easy to keep fed.

Enjoy.

Scotty
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

rjohns94 wrote:thanks OI and Hobie. I started out thinking trapper, but now I'm leaning to the 20" barrel. I have a Toyota Tacoma so either would work I think. would be really neat to have a take down version !!!!!! wonder if that can be done.?
My 20" M92 Rossi fits nicely behind the seat of my Toyota Tacoma. :wink:
greenacres
Levergunner

Post by greenacres »

What is the reason to have the stainless steel bead blasted?
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

greenacres wrote:What is the reason to have the stainless steel bead blasted?
Some prefer the nonglare of the flat matte bead blast.Hunting comes to mind. :wink:
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Congrats. A tuned M92 from Steves Gunz is my first choice. You will really like it.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

When I think truckgun, I think jazman's hit the nail on the head! :D