AR 10

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

AR 10

Post by pwl44m »

Well I finally mustered up enough parts to build an AR in 308. I bought the upper a couple weeks ago after the Gunshow. I searched on GB until I hit what I think was the jackpot. DPMS Oracle 308 complete upper carbine length. My Brother and I have been watching for 308 to get reasonable. I think I built it as cheap as I am going to see.
There was a Guy at the Gun show selling 80% 308 lowers so that is the way I went. My Brother and I went Saturday morning to get our lowers and finish them. Well greed set in and We each bought 2 while We were there. It is kinda trippy making Ur own Gun with no name. They are very good looking receivers as the pics will show. I already had a Quad rail to go on Mine but My Bro prefers the stock round GI handgaurd.
I helped Him put His together yesterday afternoon. He bought a DPMS lower parts kit and I had bought a CMMG kit several months ago knowing I wanted to do this build. As luck would have it His front pivot pin was too large and no way it was going to fit. I tried Mine in it and it worked perfect. So being the nice younger Brother I went ahead and put His together with My pin with the intent of Him getting Me another pin. It has been a while since I have put one together so it went kinda slow remembering what to do. The 308s r a little different than the 223s, instead of roll pins in a couple places they have screws.
After He took His Home I started playing with His too large pin. I chucked it up in My Ryobi dril and started to work with a file on hi speed. File and sand- file and sand until I got perfect fit. I don't quit easily. This one went much faster than the first.
Now I have a Lower to build another Gun when I recoup a little in the funds dept. I will pick up parts as I can and wait for another Upper to come along.
Couple pics for Your viewing pleasure. Whadda Ya think.
Perry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: AR 10

Post by Griff »

Oh man, don't encourage me!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Griff wrote:Oh man, don't encourage me!!!
I wouldn't do that, but I must say that I have less than a K in it.
Perry
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Nice looking rifle. Please explain what all you had to do to complete an 80% receiver, other than assembly of the lower parts.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

That's how I'd do it if I was in the mood.

Good deal.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Awesome 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

@ firefuzz, The shiny part U see in the second pic has to be drilled/machined out and the holes for trigger-hammer and safety has to be drilled. What makes it a "Non" Gun is the fact that it has "NO" fire control capabilities as an 80%er. They are the rave right now but I understand a lot of People are not doing their own and some shops are getting in trouble. I think I would like to do a couple 223s now just as Pitchy would say "because I can". I was in a Gun store the other day and He had a copy of Shooting Industry magazine on the counter with a cover photo of a 95% lower. I wonder where the Feds draw the line as in how much "You" have to do to say "You made it" ? Anyhow, check it out. It is a fun project, actually more fun than just buying a receiver and putting it together.
Perry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I think the 80% is the way to go... but... you have to trust your skill set with machinery and your machinery. I don't trust my drill press. Needs new bearings or bushings... or whatever the Craftsman brand uses.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!