Hopkins & Allen 38 S&W Auction Purchase (Updated Pictures)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Hopkins & Allen 38 S&W Auction Purchase (Updated Pictures)

Post by FatJackDurham »

I got it for a $375 plus fees. Out the door for $422.

I wanted to get it for $275 bid, but a guy near me started the bidding. I think he shilled. I almost let him have it for $350, but I went one more and he stopped.

I'll post pictures when I get home. Its a round barrel drop block lever single shot, throat is rough but the rifling looks good after it. The action is nice and crisp. Most screws are in good condition, good wood to metal fit.

How did I do? Too much? Good Deal? Robbed?

Its a Hopkins & Allen Arms, 38 S&W, falling block lever action single shot

The front ramp sight is actually a metal shroud over a dovetail sight. Is this original or added? It sure doesn't look good... Also, the rifling isn't evident at the end of the muzzle at all.

The wood all looks pretty good. Not major cracks, gouges or blemishes. Just a few pings. Good fit to metal too.

The receiver shows traces of color hardening. That spot that look like a crack doesn't seem to be a crack I looked at it very closely and it's some kind of stain, or remains of the bluing.

Here you see the linkage to the breachblock. I noticed that the screw connector is brass. The action is very smooth and tight! It snaps shut. I am not sure if the springs are original, but they are not sagging at all.

Is it usual to see marking dots near the stamps? I was wondering if the slight unevenness of the 38 S&W meant it was a rebarrel and someone just wanted the stamps on there.

The rifling in the throat is very rough as you can see. As you go down the barrel, it seems to look better. This is like my stevens was before I had it relined. I plan to shoot it tomorrow and decide what to do about it.

So, what do you all think? I havent seen many Hopkins and Allen actions out there, so I don't know what this usually goes for or how the condition stacks up. I wanted it as a companion to my 38 S&W Lemonsqueezer, and I love the falling block action. Tell me what you think.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hopkins & Allen 38 S&W Auction Purchase (Updated Picture

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

A COOL old gun in fair condition.The .38 S&W round is not a very powerful round as I believe those rifles were designed for Black Powder. Let us know how it shoots.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Looks like I over paid a little. Only other ones I can find sold for $360 - $375. A lot of .22 cal ones. Not so many 38 S&W.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

It's only Pennies albeit a whole bunch of them. It is like a lot of the Guns that seem to bought on here,- "They don't make them anymore". What is that twist rate ? Looks pretty fast. That's the prob with Auctions, sometimes We get carried away but U will be OK.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Looks cool for sure. Can't wait to hear how she shoots. Good luck! :D
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

pwl44m wrote:It's only Pennies albeit a whole bunch of them. It is like a lot of the Guns that seem to bought on here,- "They don't make them anymore". What is that twist rate ? Looks pretty fast. That's the prob with Auctions, sometimes We get carried away but U will be OK.
Perry
heh. don't know the twist. You are right, it does look fast.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

You have a Model 938. Front sight is not original. If you're happy with it you did not pay too much. The only caliber rarer than yours was the 25WCF.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

jdad wrote:You have a Model 938. Front sight is not original. If you're happy with it you did not pay too much. The only caliber rarer than yours was the 25WCF.
Thanks, Jdad, for that. I am much happier now I have shot it.

Can I see photos of yours and the correct sights?
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I do not have one. I have several single shot books including James Grant's, from 1947.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

sorry, i misread. I thought you said you had one.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Over paid? I don't think so, I'd love to have it for that. Very good find.

Owen
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

hightime wrote:Over paid? I don't think so, I'd love to have it for that. Very good find.

Owen
Yeah, like I said, I feel much better having shot it. Still, there is no question the 38 S&W stamp is hand done. On the 922 models, there is a roll stamp of the caliber. So, I wonder what the total story is for this gun. I'll probably never know.

THe only other marking which I haven't photo'd is probably a serial number or batch number on the front of the receiver. A 3 7, with a sideways 8 and a V underneath.

There are also tapped holes on the receiver for a tang sight, but with the 38 S&W cartridge, I can't possible imagine needing one except for precision short range shooting. According to my ballistics computer, the Point Blank Zero for a 38 S&W is about 55 yards, with an 18 inch drop at 100, and 620 fps at 100 yards.

Thanks for the confidence though.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

FatJackDurham wrote:Looks like I over paid a little. Only other ones I can find sold for $360 - $375. A lot of .22 cal ones. Not so many 38 S&W.
I'd say it was on the high side considering the condition, but auctions have a way making us overpay. I've been guilty a time or two myself :oops:
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

JB wrote:
FatJackDurham wrote:Looks like I over paid a little. Only other ones I can find sold for $360 - $375. A lot of .22 cal ones. Not so many 38 S&W.
I'd say it was on the high side considering the condition, but auctions have a way making us overpay. I've been guilty a time or two myself :oops:
Sigh..... Well, the good news is, when news of my purchase makes it to the Blue Book people, it will raise the curve a little. :D
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

thanks for posting - really neat firearm. Congratulations on finding it.

no +P :mrgreen:
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Which of these would be the correct front site for this rifle?

Blade site, Rocky Mountain?

Post site, casted one piece?
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

I can tell you that I would have been happy to buy that for what you paid.

What a neat old action. As compact as a Martini but with an exposed hammer. I love it.

If you get sick of it just send it out to me in Sydney.

Pop
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Sydney? I might have to hand deliver it.....