Antler Removal

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Antler Removal

Post by RustyJr »

Well . . . thanks to the good Lord I managed to shoot another deer this year. Used my Hawkeye in 270 Winchester again. Thought it was a doe and ended up being a cowhorn spike. I am wanting to take the antlers and make a gun rack with them. Already figured out how I want to do it (antlers attached to a board backer). Question is . . . Is there a way to remove the antlers from the skull without using a hack saw on the skull? Will boiling cause the antlers to detach from the skull? Thanks in advance.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Antler Removal

Post by 86er »

Boiling is not going to do it. Unfortunately you have to cut them off. If it was literally a few hours dead or a very late season buck you might be able to try another method but this does not seem to be what you are dealing with. You can either cut the skull or cut off each antler below the pedestal. You can cut the skull and then drill up into the antler and work it loose but that is risky, messy and difficult. Once you cut them off you can run a double sided screw into the antler or drill a hollow and use Gorilla glue to seat a wooden dowel in there. That'll be your attachment point to your base whether you decide it's the screw or the dowel.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Antler Removal

Post by AJMD429 »

I have cut off antlers with a hacksaw parallel to the outer surface of the skull, when we had a buck that got car-hit and wandered off into a field and died. No cutting through the skull, and it gave a decent chunk of antler with a good base.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "