Buying a used motorcycle... What should I know?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Buying a used motorcycle... What should I know?

Post by Panzercat »

Well, the title is self explanatory. Apparently people let their bikes go for at ridiculous prices for any number of reasons and I see no reason to take the tax/depreciation hit myself, so used is looking like a mighty good option. I am also, a complete novice when it comes to the world of motorcycles, so what should I know before picking one of these things up? I mean, yes, lessons are a given; especially as they'll help with insurance. I don't think requesting a shop to look at a bike before I hand over cash would be out of the question, would it? My pops is full of horror stories about chop shop resales and bikes getting laid down and resold, but I'm looking at the market and not exactly getting that vibe. These things are being sold with bags, aftermarket , etc.

Of course, i am the n00b here, so...

Eh, what kind? Probably a Honda, Yamaha or Kawasaki. Budget constraints will normally preclude a Harley product, unless I'm willing to settle for a Sportster-- or as my Harley friends refer to it: A bike that want's to be a Harley when it grows up. More than likely a Cruiser type or at most a sport-crusier. I'll pass on crotch rockets even though they seem to occupy the second rung of the used budget category after dirt bikes and atvs.

I guess I'm less concerned about the bike type (oh, you should start with _______ ) and more focused on quality/fail indicators in a purchase, do's and don'ts, etc. That said, any input you might have is great one way or another. In order to make this levergun related, I've seriously consider installing a scabbard or something :D

Thanks in advance!
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Buying a used motorcycle... What should I know?

Post by Blaine »

IMO, try to buy from an older person that bought the bike new, and has maintenance records from the dealership, or qualified wrencher. I'd be leery of anything over 20,000 miles. Gold Wings, and BMWs have a tremendous life span....upwards of 200,000 miles if they have been well maintained. Harleys, not so much. You didn't ask, but, if both feet don't touch the ground, and/or you can't pick the bike up, don't get it.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

What type of riding do you want to do? Just cruising around town, road trips? Will you be riding double with a wife or GF? How heavy are you? I am NOT a current rider but I practically lived on them years ago for many years and miles and many types. What type bikes have been drawing your attention? Touring, dual sport, cruisers, give us hints. Once you start riding your tastes and mission may change. Learning to ride is`nt going to be a problem. The dangerous part is getting too confident too fast.
Just start haunting the shops. You will get a lot of ideas and both good and bad advice fast.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

You're where I was 4 - 5 years ago.

Do look up the Motorcycle Safety Foundation courses for your area. You're right, you get a reduction in insurance, you'll learn a lot of basics and maybe un-learn some bad habits.

Right now you can do a web and youtube search on Captain Crash. (no, seriously) He's done a bunch of videos that are worth watching again and again.

Anything you buy starting out is going to get dropped and dinged. I started with a KLR650 (really too much bike) dual sport and we've had our share of scrapes. Something fancier or shinier may not fare as well.

For entry level and getting your basic chops down there's the Suzi TU250 and Honda Rebel. Also the Suzi S40.

The MSF class certifies you for a parking lot. Put three to five thousand on one of these bikes. That will get you enough time on the road so you can figure out what your really want.

Feel free to PM if any questions
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Congratulations on considering a motorcycle. Some good tips and suggestions, you're getting here. Some things that come to mind;
I would suggest anyone starting out should consider starting with a smaller, lighter bike. You have to be able to pick it up. Learn how.
Speed thrills and kills. A lowly 175 will get you going fast enough to die. Being able to go faster than 75 just means you'll get to the accident faster. That's all.
Learn to use your front brakes on strait dry roads. Depend on your rear brakes most times.
Don't listen to anyone on this model or that model. Go with what you are attracted to. If your already worried about what the guy with the big twin says about a sportster, you'll hear more stuff with a Yamasaki. Everyone feels the same breeze. Some breezes sound cooler than others, though. :wink:
Don't ride in sandals. Ever! Boots are better than shoes and gloves are better than bare skin.
Eye protection is a must for all riders.
Helmets have a place and time. New rider is one of them.
Do you like to tinker? Then I would suggest going older instead of newer. By working on you own machine, you will learn to listen to it and fix issues before they become problems. What ever you buy, get a manual for it and read it.
Remember, as soon as you get on that thing you become invisible. Do what you can to be seen. Lights, bright colors, turn signals as well as hand signals. Some will say you have wear a target.
Ask questions and enjoy.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

What should you know? You should know that when my wife worked in the E.R. in a major trauma center they used to refer to them as DONORCYCLES.

Where are you located?

My brother in law just passed away ( the second one in 2 months) and he had a Gold Wing. I haven't talked to his wife yet but it would be a great buy for someone looking for a bike. He was 75 years old, kept the bike inside all the time unless he was ridding it. He was a machinist and an aircraft mechanic. He always took good care of anything mechanical
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Panzercat,
I've been riding since I was 15 and I'm 74 now. Yes, I've been down a few times. If you like the idea of a Harley there is nothing wrong with a Sportster. I actually used to prefer them and rode several for lots of miles, even extended trips pulling a trailer. The peanut tank they used to have was too small for trips but aftermarket tanks were/are available. There are some great bargains out there. eg: '02 Wide Glide with 5K worth of aftermarket stuff and only 2500 miles on it for $7000. His wife says, "all he does is sit out there in the shed and shine on it". I also see ok Sporties for under $3000 and the newer ones are pretty reliable. Probably better than my old 66 FLH.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

He lives in Phoenix.
It is like signing your own death warrant.
Every biker I worked with the last 30 years got highsided in Phoenix traffic going to or from work.
I would reconsider.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

When I was riding, most of the bikes I bought/sold were used. ( I used to hustle bikes & cars to make extra $$$)

I would suggest having someone that knows what they're doing check a few things:

* Frame cracks (usually at/near welded joints)
* Swingarm pivot wear.
* Final drive parts (chain or the shaftie drive hub)
* Front forks: seals, straightness & proper function
* Transmission wear (smooth/tough shifting, noises, etc)
* Motor smoothness (or not) & strange internal noise(s).

Most everything else is minor.

Remember to keep the rubber side "down". . :mrgreen:

Last edited by Pete44ru on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I have a high mileage past and been run down a couple of times by cars. It happens, and they really are out to get you. Every single one of them.

Sporsters are the best Harleys around. Lightest. Highest rear wheel axle load rating. The new ones have good engines but the belt drives blow. And the fuel tank is useless if you want to get past the next gas station without stopping.

Too slow of a motorcycle will invite getting run over. most cage drivers, except me, will tailgate you, cut you off, turn in front of you, change into your lane without a glance, etc.

Speed and agility are your friends. If you can't get up to traffic speed, whatever that is, faster than the oncoming traffic, you can't merge into it very well.

Don't cruise 5 miles under the posted limit in lane 3 if you want to live longer.

I like the dual-sport class that's around now because they are light, go fast if you gear them that way, get great gas mileage, and have amazing agility. But for cross country, not so much. Seems like a good way to get into riding to me.

I started on a 400+ pound BMW R-50, exciting for all the wrong reasons but a mostly stable cruiser.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/08/27/be ... m-500-exc/
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Where do you live? I have an old Honda V30 Magna 500 that is a nice little bike and a great first bike.

For used bikes:
1) Check the tire tread for cracks
2) Check the change for rust
3) When you go to buy it, feel the engine before you start it. If it's warm, the guy started it before you got there to make it seem easy to start
4) Check for oil leaks on the suspension
5) Don't pay too much. Bike never hold value unless it's a Harley, and then it's hit or miss.

Make sure you take a rider safety course and were blaze orange.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

God, my original post was a punctuation train wreck. Sorry about that.
That's what i get for posting close to bed.

Okay, details.

I live in Phoenix. Clear riding weather 300 days out of the year when one isn't sweating his or her butt off :)
I desire a touring/cruiser bike for, well, touring. Plenty to see out here in the AZ and lots of long straight roads to do it on.
Said bike should be comfortable for medium to long distance, commuting. Most cruisers probably fit that bill of goods.
80mph is my top end for my car, so I probably wouldn't be pushing a motorcycle faster than that.
On that note I would like enough power to pass competently as well as maneuver through twist mountain passes. Oak Creek Canyon comes to mind.
I'm not against a Sporster, that was their words, not mine. Though admittedly, I do see Harley as the Apple Computers of the motorcycle world.

I am noticing a lot of v-stars (650/1100) and Honda Shadows in my price range (< $4000) with the occasional Sportster hanging out. Usually these are about 2002-2007 with 15k-30k miles. The thing that kills me is a lot of these are well equipped; bags and all.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

If you find an outfitted bike you like, buy it & sell the unwanted accessories on Craigs List or E-Bay.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/mcy/

This Suzuki Boulevard's on Craigslist/Phoenix @ $3400

I've had a few larger rice burners, and usually all that's needed is to count the wheels & add fuel.

stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Well, panzercat - motorbikes are a GOOD IDEA! :D

I've been riding since about 1976, in all weathers, on three
continents, and I've learnt a thing or two. (But feel free
to disregard everything I say - I won't be offended!)

1. MSF Course. They didn't have these when I was a lad like
they do today. In Maine, it's mandatory to take one before a
permit is issued. TAKE ONE! They're very, very good nowadays.
What you learn in one WILL save you pain and money!! :lol:

2. Start small. A 250 enduro is about perfect. Really. One CAN start
on a bigger machine, but it will be harder to learn to ride, faster
to get into trouble, and slower to get out of trouble. "But I can't
ride on the freeway with a 250!" Just so. Beginning riders shouldn't
be out on the freeway. Get 6 months to a year of daily riding on a
smaller machine, and you wil be SO much better off when you move
to a larger one. Buy one used.

3. What to look out for? Same things as a car or bicycle. Leaks,
funny noises, true and round wheels, tire wear, and the lower the
mileage the better. 185cc, 250cc, and 400cc machines can be found
quite inexpensively as learner bikes. Sell it on cheaply when you
move up.

-Stretch
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

2. Start small. A 250 enduro is about perfect.
Unless you have short legs....I couldn't find a dual sport that was less than 33-34 inches seat height. For me, with a 28" inseam, one foot was 4 inches off the ground if the other is flat on ground. The closest I could get was a Yamaha 200TW, which I still might get someday if I can lower it without ruining the "dual" part of it.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Think this was my last wreck. A woman ran a stop sign and I T-boned her. I flew over her car, was laying on the street and she came over and gave me hell. Fortunatly there was a off duty highway patrolman working in his yard that witnessed it and told me when my buddy gets here we will bring you a copy of the ticket he`s going to write her to you in the hospital, and they did!

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Wonder how many times those female dogs get away with that carp.................................................... just because they are female?
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

No matter which bike you end up with, 3 words: full face helmet. That is, if you like your face, and your melon. It isn't a matter of if you are going down, it's a matter of when, so you may as well make it through still being able to count, speak, eat more than soup and that kind of stuff.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I probably am the wrong guy to ask but you asked?

Grew up on motorcycles. Honestly these days the way people are completely so inconsiderate to others and even what's worse you are a newbie. You have good chance of getting wacked and lose a leg, arm, both or just die.

Myself, if you are bound and determined to risk the ride, I would get a new leftover medium sized Japanese's road bike.

Ya I know!

A leftover should be able to be had for around $4100-$4500,new with new warranty and even some free riding classes.
http://www.dealsonwheels.com/motorcycle ... /D61w247sn
I like a fairly upright position but not straight up with some forward lean. I want it with enough power to move if you have to, but not make you think your King Kong and get yourself killed thinking your "bad"

Most time for the $$$$ difference a left over new bike will get you within a grand or so of a nice used bike in cost. But the perks of new. Why chance it with used?
Also the warranty. Look for the warranty specials they sometimes will throw in to make the deal. Like on bike above at times can be had for around $500 for a 5 year transferable warranty. You will have enough to worry about let alone bike mechanical issues.

Now listen up my good man. They are extremely dangerous. You are basically in your dining room chair body open to bare all and a bike don't stop like a car and don't hit things as well.Your unprotected body or the person with you don't either.

The old people and the young punks, watch them. At a 4 corner stop when you have the go but see a car coming to stop sign but just a tad fast wait. Cannot count the times usually someone old not stopping and plowing through their sign with the big Buick that would have just about been a die nuts kill on myself.

Deer, anytime but especially early morning, dusk, and anytime dark they will kill you before you can say "corn" or "deer"
better off getting a ATV or lift a 4WD and have your fun that way,

Again coming from a avid 30year used to be biker but now came to my senses chancing the risks.
If I am going die that way,better off being wacked by a pi##ed off charging grizzly while hunting.

Good Luck, and this time double God Bless

ps, even a big dog at 45 mph coming out from behind a parked car :shock:
Booger Bills deal, it happens ALL the time!

JMHO

references:

Honda 50, Honda 250 "Dream" :lol: , BSA 650, Honda MT 250, Yamaha YZ 250,Suzuki GS 1000,Kawasaki 900 Z1,Honda CB1000, Harley 1200 custom Sportster. The Harley 3 only months cause it kept breaking down! :lol: When it ran it felt nice riding it kinda like the BSA but BSA was more reliable. Before the Harley always thought watching a Harley chopper rider "look at that fool he needs both feet down at a stop sign" :D :roll: Then found out why?
They do help with people hearing you coming but end result is, What!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Madman, Phoenix is not the place to learn to drive.
These people get p/o'd and engage in road rage if you impede their all important, narcissistic progress.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:Madman, Phoenix is not the place to learn to drive.
These people get p/o'd and engage in road rage if you impede their all important, narcissistic progress.
I've done many twisty roads in AZ....too many drivers use both lanes on blind curves....The trucks and RV'ers ignore signs about the length of their rigs....I wouldn't avoid these roads, but, I'd never drive/ride very fast on them, either......

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

He said he also wanted to commute, dramaticlly increasing the risk.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:He said he also wanted to commute, dramaticlly increasing the risk.
Rush hour Phoenix traffic is mild compared to I-5 through Washington...there are only a few miles north of Portland that are not a nightmare.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Keep a sharp eye out. I bought my '81 Yamaha 650 Maxim for $1500... and it had a whopping 5,000 mi on it.

For a "first timer', unless you are really small, or into Offroad, I suggest nothing smaller than 400 and nothing larger than 750.

There are a very few exceptions to that rule, but they are specialty bikes.

In general, for a First Bike, I also steer people to '80s "UJMs" - midsize frame Jap Bikes that are NOT in the "Crotch Rocket" school.

If you are mechanically inclined, ans hav lotsa $$$, Nortons & Triumphs are cool.

Anyway, Midsize, Mid CC bikes are what, IMO you shouldbe looking at. In general, a good Price Point is $2-$3 per cc...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

BlaineG wrote:
Mescalero wrote:He said he also wanted to commute, dramaticlly increasing the risk.
Rush hour Phoenix traffic is mild compared to I-5 through Washington...there are only a few miles north of Portland that are not a nightmare.....
rush hour in phx is a bunch of nascar wanna-bees who delight in cutting as close as possible and leaving as little as possible, at high speed.

not close to tijuana, but going in that direction...

but of course the seattle end of I-5 is a complete zoo with zombies and zoombies vying for the next rollover...
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

If your new get one that handles well and is not too heavy. I rode Brit bikes many years ago and they handled well and were easy to control on road and in the parking stall. You will most likely drop it a few times and take all the talk of being a target seriously. If you buy something with a few scratches it will hurt less.

Watch out for peaky power/torque curves. In my era they were 2 strokes or todays crotch rockets. The power can dial up at a surprising pace for a new rider. Also learn what a wore out tire looks like. My first go around the rubber looked good to my eye and it was dangerous.

Today I call them murdercycles but at a later age I got my ultralight pilots licence and folks doubted my sanity. You are about to learn what defensive driving really means!!!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

madman4570 wrote:I probably am the wrong guy to ask but you asked?

Grew up on motorcycles. Honestly these days the way people are completely so inconsiderate to others and even what's worse you are a newbie. You have good chance of getting wacked and lose a leg, arm, both or just die.

!

I've been riding for 30 years --- I am primarily a dirt biker and grew up racing motocross. I still race a limited amount of motocross , but now at my advanced age (42) I mainly do cross country off-road events and just the bigger mx events

----- all of which have nothing to do with street bikes except this -- after 30 years of this, and a few years in my late teens and early 20's of racing at an advanced level - my bike handling skills are better than 99% of the riding population out there (bear with me - that sounded like bragging, but wait ... LOL)

I have had street bikes before, - a big Vulcan Kawasaki "bagger", a nice HArley 1200 Sportster, and currently, one of my dirt bikes is dual sport converted and has a tag ----
But with all the skill I have developed over 30 years of riding, and 10 of those years as an AMA Pro/Am motocrosser -- I am still terrified sometimes of riding on the street --- bike handling skills mean nothing when a 17 year old with a pink I-phone slams into you from behind while she is checking her email, or when a senior citizen decides to change lanes for no apparent reason without seeing you. Wet road stopping distances can be poor, and you can low side pretty easy ------
70% of drivers out there accumulated just enough skill to pass their driver tests when they were teenagers, but never got any better, and in many cases, got worse. The new age of cell phones and tablets is far more dangerous than the old stereotype of the harried commuter sipping coffee on the way to work, or the secretary putting on eye makeup in the car --- these kids today (many adults too) are looking down at their phones 60% of the time, even while driving, and on a bike, you ar e much less visible

I feel safer jumping a 75 foot gap jump or a hundred foot tabletop - or on a starting line with 40 other maniacs, - than I do commuting in town with the teens and other inattentive drivers

That said -- I am still thinking about another street bike, but I am contemplating one of the BMW 650 dual sport singles, or even a KLR 650 . All my dirt riding buddies are getting older (In the motocross world, 42 is ancient - LOL) and enjoy dirt road touring and dual sport rides, so I want to get in on the fun --- but this would involve very little riding in town or on freeways -----

Just my .02 cents. I prefer having the bikes in the truck and ready to have fun at the destination ---

----- Doug
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

I am 60, and been riding off and on since I was 15, in South Carolina. I actually had my MC license at 15. My most recent one was a Honda XL600. I was after a 250 for emergency riding mainly but the 600 was a good price. I found out why after buying it.

My suggestions

Don't buy an OLD bike, no mater the type. If you get one, make it no more than 5 yrs old.

DO buy a smaller CC bike to learn on, that was some of the best advice given here, period. I love Harleys (owned 2 of em) but they are NOT a learners bike.

Don't take off on rides with a bunch of macho guys until you have min of 6 months riding. They often either "try to show the new guy" or forget he IS a new guy. They will out ride you and when you try to keep up, YOU crash. Seen it happen LOTS of times, and once to me!

Lastly, city driving (never rode in PHX) can be pure hell. It can and is to many cyclists, deadly. My daughter was dating a guy, he started riding (claimed he was licensed, and experienced, and was neither as it turned out) a Kawasaki Ninja 600. Oh he knew sooo much that he went riding with his cousin (see suggestion number 3) and overshot a turn (excessive speed). Ruined the bike, and gave himself a nice compound fracture of his leg. (see suggestion number 3)
I have ridden in many cities and without exception, I was nearly hit in every one of them. MY EXPERIENCE (and good luck) kept me alive.

Little things you don't even see will take your bike right out from under you. Things like rocks, ground squirrels, turtles, you name it.

I am done riding on the road. At 60, I do not heal as fast, nor do I want to be laid up for months or years. It could happen in a car wreck for sure, but my odds are better.

The advice on boots, gloves, jackets, and last but NOT least, a full helmet should be considered gospel. My mother in law, many years ago (she was in her 60's then, pulled in front of a guy on a Harley, wearing one of the "bad boy" helmets. If it were not for CA's helmet law he would not have had one on at all. By the way, he suffered traumatic brain injury from that accident, because the helmet didn't cover his head where a full one would have. So make you own choice.

Good luck!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I rode mostly on dirt roads and cow pastures when I was a teenager, had a few wrecks that should have killed me. Didn't ride anymore until about 11yrs ago, been riding ever since. My advice is don't let your ego get you killed, and take a motorcycle safety course before you even buy a motorcycle. It could and probably will save your life.

There's things that are hard to learn by experience without suffering some hard knocks, that can be learned in a MSC, that will help you a lot to learn how to safety ride a motorcycle and survive in traffic. I have personally known quite a few people that have gotten killed on motorcycles. Many of them bought a motorcycle at about middle age, and didn't take the MSC, and got killed in the first year or so of riding, one on his way home from just buying a motorcycle, and it happens a lot.

I have had some close calls, most in the first year or two and I credit the things I learned in the MSC with keeping me alive, on more then one occasion.

I started back with a 1200 Sportster, Poor choice, as they are not a beginner's bike, and actually harder to ride then a Big Twin. I now ride a 98 Wide Glide and an 04 Roadking. The Wide Glide is my Favorite. For a first bike, depending on how big you are, I would suggest a Jap Cruiser, in the 650cc to 750 range, unless you are a lightweight, then you could go a little smaller, even a 175 or 250 would be OK, if you stay off of the big roads and you probably should for a while.

Another suggestion is ride alone for a while, not in a group. Group riding is sometimes said to be safer, but it is not, it's more dangerous, usually, for several reasons. I have had about as many close calls in a minimal amount of group riding, then I have had in many many miles of riding by myself. Do a search on Amazon for some motorcycle safety books, there are some really good one out there, that can help you get up to speed with a lot of the potential pitfalls associated with riding a motorcycle as a new rider.
NRA Life Member, Patron
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Guys,

Here is how bad I feel it has gotten anymore on the road with motorcycles. Now I am not one to be timid at heart either.
Do I love the feel of riding a cycle ? Yes Do I think anymore around these parts it is worth the risk? No!

Let's put it this way two years back brother pulls up. Got this tricked out chopper. I mean tricked out. SWEET!

Was at a garage sale and looked towards the back of inside of garage wall and was this shining gem. It started as a Harley 883 but the ladies which were a pair of lesbians(not saying nothing wrong with that)had the bike tricked out professionally.
Engine replaced with a 1200cc Bueller chromed new engine :shock: dudes everything.
The custom paint job on tank was a pair of nude Norwegian goddesses and even had removable spinning suction cup tassles that went over their ni##les. He asked them about it. They said they almost got hit by a truck few months before. Bro said you want to sell it?

Bottom line $7000 out the door. He pulls up! smiling he has got one of the half warrior helmets on and says "I got something" you really really would look good on this bro! I said, its a pretty bike,but nope ain't road riding any more. he said just try it, it really goes for a Harley! :lol:
Nope! Told ya,ain't road riding. Spent all my lucky cards and I am done playing. Boy,did that bug the sh## out of him.He still is always bugging me. They are that frigin dangerous anymore.

You guys road riding God Bless ya! but its dirt riding or ATV riding for me!
That says it all and all my friends and my wife say, I am crazy! :lol: :D
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

handirifle wrote:...

Don't buy an OLD bike, no mater the type. If you get one, make it no more than 5 yrs old.
Why on earth not? I'd much rather learn on an older (80s) Midframe UJM than on these modern crotch rockets or psudocruisers...

A good UJM will run forever as long as parts are available... and they are.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Old Ironsights wrote:
handirifle wrote:...

Why on earth not? I'd much rather learn on an older (80s) Midframe UJM than on these modern crotch rockets or psudocruisers...

A good UJM will run forever as long as parts are available... and they are.
For someone just getting their feet wet, the are better things to concentrate on than keeping an older bike running
----- Doug
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I bought a Honda 250 Rebel in April '07. 44,000 miles later I still like it. Tough, reliable and great MPG. It will do 75 on the interstate but I don't like driving that fast or freeways unless traffic dictates it. At 50-55mph it will give 75MPG or better. Need to get stiffer springs , mine are wore out now. If you are going too carry more than 80lbs on a constant basis go with a 500 or bigger bike. My only tip is change oil when it just starts to get dark and use Shell Rotella 15w40. Just remember drive "like no one sees you" and even if they do "they don't care", also all the money you save in gas mileage, ain't a drop in the bucket if you end up in the hospital. Have fun, slow down and enjoy the scenery. I did 8,000 miles last year in 21 days and never went over 60 except in Montana when H12 merged with I94 going thru Montana.

Edited: Go with shaft drive if possible, It gets old after the 3rd changing and replacing of sprockets and chains.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I always wanted a Kawasaki 454 LTD.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I put 100 Mile per day, every week day, all last summer on my "new to me" 81 Maxim. I never had a lick of trouble maintenance wise, which is good because I'm the opposite of mechanically inclined.

Oh, & FWIW, the maxim is shaft Drive.

Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Old Ironsights wrote:I put 100 Mile per day, every week day, all last summer on my "new to me" 81 Maxim. I never had a lick of trouble maintenance wise, which is good because I'm the opposite of mechanically inclined.

Oh, & FWIW, the maxim is shaft Drive.

]
OI your bike is slick

There's plenty of good older bikes out there --- but plenty of roaches too ---

Older bikes to me typically mean --

corroded fuel tanks -- fuel lines clogged with scale as a result
dry rotted tires,
forks devoid of oil because of previously leaking seals,
corroded control cables and electrical terminal ends,
multi-carb systems gummed up with bad gas and completely out of tune.
dry rot on other rubber pieces, such as intake boots and airbox boots,
shocks that have long since lost their nitrogen charge,
corrosion inside brake calipers that causes sticking, or worse yet, drum brakes which make stopping the bike a suggestion, rather than a commandment
galvanic corrosion caused by steel bolts in aluminum parts not treated with anti-seize

There's are just a few of the maladies that are somewhat easily rectified with an infusion of cash --- but if you take a $2500 bike like your Yamaha (which looks great btw) and then have to add another grand to it for unseen issues like a lot of these , -- its not such a bargain anymore
----- Doug
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Lots of great advice. Not sure about the horror stories, but still nuggets to take away from them as well. Don't need to tell me how easy it is to go down. Back when i was five, my Pops was taking me to school on the back of his Suzuki dirt bike, went around a corner laced with oil and gravel. I still remember bawling my head off to this day as hydrogen peroxide was applied to the missing layers of skin :lol:

But again, ain't looking to get a sport bike. And I'm not so sure about passing those used bikes up... People are selling their saddles and everything. It's nuts. Seeing mostly V-stars and Shadows in the < $4000 range I'm looking through. Ah, if only I could get the wife to sign off ;)

Thanks again :)
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Streetstar wrote:...There's are just a few of the maladies that are somewhat easily rectified with an infusion of cash --- but if you take a $2500 bike like your Yamaha (which looks great btw) and then have to add another grand to it for unseen issues like a lot of these , -- its not such a bargain anymore
My bike cost $1500 out the door from a Used Bike Dealer. He had others that were cheaper/higher mileage, & more expensive/lower mileage (but harder miles), but this one stood out like a sore thumb... not to mention that it was a "one owner" and the Dealer had ALL of the back paperwork to the day it was first purchased... so I bought it without even a test ride. (Scrabbling that $$ together was a challenge I tell you...)

Sometimes you just have to look close and go with your gut.

BUT, FWIW, I know Yamahas. I road a 650 Special to death... (its death being an impact with a Nissan... Ow...) so it didn't take an awful lot of hard looking to find the very few (and cheap to get fixed) flaws with it.

I honestly do not know how to begin even looking at a post '90s bike.

I guess, here's my point; I'm not mechanically inclined. I have owned a total of THREE motorcycles in the past 30 years... a late 70's Yamaha 650 Special, a 1975 US made Kawasaki 400 - which I could never get running - and my current '81 Yamaha 650 Maxim.

The only reason the KZ400 never got running was... it was made in the US and the spare parts chain never developed properly.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!