Alaska sucks because

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Alaska sucks because

Post by jeepnik »

They have either the highest or second highest suicide rate per 100,000 depending on the year. Only Wyoming has a .1 higher rate, and then it was just for 2010.

Hmm, California with all it's problems has a rate of 10.5 per 100,000.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Alaska sucks because

Post by Griff »

jeepnik wrote:They have either the highest or second highest suicide rate per 100,000 depending on the year. Only Wyoming has a .1 higher rate, and then it was just for 2010.

If only CA had that statistic limited to it's politicians... mostly at either the State or Federal level.

But, have you ever thought that maybe as we become more proficient at curing diseases, some other mechanism needs to control the population levels? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Too much wind and too much winter.

On a cruise to Alaska a few years ago I was lucky enough to miss out on salmon fishing through the ship and had to find it on my own. Met a great young man and his wife who had a small guide service. His grandfather helped explore Ketchican Island shortly after the US bought Alaska. He was born there and has never lived anywhere else. But they leave in the winter and work for her family in Oregon or visit friends in Arizona. He said it was too depressing to stay there all winter.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I am just old enough to remember when the suicide rate skyrocketed. It has a combination of reasons, but some of the big ones are related to alcohol and TV.

Alcohol is a huge problem in the villages. Almost all crime is related to alcohol. Alaska consumes an extremely high amount of alcohol per capita. When TV was first subsidized into to villages, it corresponded with an increase in suicide. When kids who are isolated see TV, they feel they are missing out on an exciting life in the cities - they feel exiled. I grew up in a bush village of 50 people. We hunted and fished and picked berried, and had a great time as kids. We had no electricity, no TV, no computers. We wouldn't have traded that lifestyle for anything.

Now, with their concept of the outside world distorted by television, I hear the kids saying that they, "just need to get to Anchorage where there is stuff to do." The truth is, all you can do in ANC is hang out in malls.

We just had a service for a guy who was a big-time Vietnam war hero. This is the kind of guy that we watch movies about, just living quietly in a village up here. We performed a military honors service for him today and just got a call from the school asking us to come in and talk to the kids tomorrow morning. One of the things I will mention is that this was a guy who could have lived anywhere. He could have lived on the record of what he did in Vietnam. Instead, he chose to live out here. Right here in their village lived the kind of guy who people would flock to for autographs, movie rights, etc., had he chosen to flaunt it.

This was the life that he wanted.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

because I'm not back yet.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Grizz wrote:because I'm not back yet.
This. AK won't be a bad place to be when elections are suspended...

There is a REASON AKIP was founded...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

In Canada we call it getting "bushed", short days and long winters can cause serious problems. We have first nations suicide problems in northern Canada and I suspect the same in Alaska. It is a serious social problem.

I was bushed once in the Northwest Territories. It was no fun at all.

However being older and a little more sensible I would move back if my family would follow. One can live about as free as possible in north America in the far north.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

[quote="jeepnik"]They have either the highest or second highest suicide rate per 100,000 depending on the year. ( Only Wyoming has a .1 higher rate, and then it was just for 2010.)

Its a bad deal for any of the friends or family that's had to live through it
unfortunately ive seen to much of it!!!!!!!!!!!!

ollogger
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Spent 25 years in the villages of Western Alaska. It's not the weather or cabin fever, - it's alcohol. :(
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Not only alcohol, although it is the vehicle. It's more the loss of their culture and the welfare federal govt and state programs that deincentivize.

Used to be you had to move about and do useful things to keep from dying from cold or starvation. Now that they are 'cared for' they don't have a replacement of the system that sustained them for thousands of years.

I am not endorsing every facet of the culture, but it was productive and sustaining in its perfect bubble, and it has been replaced with lying politicians who buy their votes, television, the useless version of western civ that donates all of the deficits without much of the benefits via govt schools, and a host of other things.

Plus, their 'family values' are in direct and repeated violation of state law.

Much the way our own society fares under the same totalitarian overclass.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Griff wrote:
jeepnik wrote:They have either the highest or second highest suicide rate per 100,000 depending on the year. Only Wyoming has a .1 higher rate, and then it was just for 2010.

If only CA had that statistic limited to it's politicians... mostly at either the State or Federal level.

But, have you ever thought that maybe as we become more proficient at curing diseases, some other mechanism needs to control the population levels? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Boy Griff, I can really say I agree with you 100% on that one. The only drawback would be that if this state were as free as some of the other western states, our population would double. There is soooo much to see and do here it's hard to do it in one lifetime. If we had Az's freedoms, this would be the PERFECT state to live in.

People often criticize me when I say one of the reasons I stay in CA is due to the weather. REALLY? When I can honestly say I can get out and do things at least 300 days of the year, in enjoyable weather, and more likely 340 is I am willing to brave inclement conditions. Even our bad weather isn't nearly as bad as many states' so so weather.

Yea the weather IS a good reason to stay. For now! :lol:

As for AK's issues, I can add (from what I see and read from media) is the drugs seem to be replacing or supplementing the alcohol. I know WA state has many issues with depression as well. Folks get it in their heads that if the weather is less than ideal you stay inside, and make the problem worse.

Oh, I forgot to add, it's also cause the stupid granola heads here have their heads so far up their rear ends, they can't reach their mouths to take the suicide pills.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Grizzly Adams wrote:Spent 25 years in the villages of Western Alaska. It's not the weather or cabin fever, - it's alcohol. :(
It certainly was in my case. Being bushed is also real for tea totallers. However I have to agree alcohol and drugs is the true problem in almost every case.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

It's the darn mosquitos that drive you crazy
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Post by QCI Winchesters »

I live right below Alaska on the Queen Charlotte Islands, we can actually see some of the Alaskan islands from the beach. I have never run out of things to do and see, but I constantly hear from people my age and younger "there's nothing for me here!" "it's so limiting!" "This place is lame!" Most of them move away to the city, get minimum wage jobs, and live in apartments with four room mates. But, they are much happier because they have cellphones and fast internet. Amazing how many city folks I know, that rarely leave their apartment except for work and shopping.
When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

The Scandinavian countries have serious problems with
suicide and alcoholism, expecially during the winter months.
I myself get a bit grouchy by the end of the winter up
here in Maine. The lack of light can take a real toll on some
folks. "Cabin Fever" is no laughing matter.

My hat's off to the settlers of this country. The though of living
in a freezing sod hut out on the prairie hut with 3 screaming kids,
little heat, and no running water definitely gives me pause. They
must have been TOUGH.

-Stretch
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Heck, I get a little grumpy here in Arizona when the days get shorter -- I can't imagine!! I have spent time up north (not as far as Alaska) in the winter - no thanks.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Heck, I don't see why the Long Night is a problem for anyone any more...

Don't most people live in a dark room illuminated only by the light of Leverguns on the screen? :twisted:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Most of the time we were too busy to let a little darkness interfere. Fishing season might run to november if we had to scratch real hard. then to juneau for a 6 month supply of staples and some r&r. then back to the camp with lots of hunting to do for the meat supply and lots of beach logging to keep the wood fire going. january is the darkest month at our place, but by feb or so it's time to overhaul the black cod gear and do mechanical stuff on the boat, say, build a new exhaust system for the main and gen engines with hospital grade noise suppression. work on the new refrigeration system so I can freeze a hundred cohos in a couple of hours. run to Sitka to visit family and mcdonalds and maybe get lumber and roofing for some house projects.

We home schooled our children, raising them in 'the fear and admonition of the Lord', teaching them that our highest calling is to glorify Him in all of our work and play, to honor Him in thought, word, and deeds.

There wasn't time, motive, or selfishness left to squander our time on pity parties.

The ones we observed crashing and burning, shooting themselves, jumping off of the dam, raping their children, swapping fluids and diseases, drunk and disorderly, drugged and depressed, all worshipped themselves and scorned their Creator. What would anyone expect to happen to them?

I do NOT claim credit for anything I described
, "It is the Lord's doing, and it is marvelous in our sight".

Blessings,
Grizz
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Post by QCI Winchesters »

The ones we observed crashing and burning, shooting themselves, jumping off of the dam, raping their children, swapping fluids and diseases, drunk and disorderly, drugged and depressed, all worshipped themselves and scorned their Creator. What would anyone expect to happen to them?

Exactly!
When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Amen Grizz
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Grizz wrote:Not only alcohol, although it is the vehicle. It's more the loss of their culture and the welfare federal govt and state programs that deincentivize.

Used to be you had to move about and do useful things to keep from dying from cold or starvation. Now that they are 'cared for' they don't have a replacement of the system that sustained them for thousands of years.

I am not endorsing every facet of the culture, but it was productive and sustaining in its perfect bubble, and it has been replaced with lying politicians who buy their votes, television, the useless version of western civ that donates all of the deficits without much of the benefits via govt schools, and a host of other things.

Plus, their 'family values' are in direct and repeated violation of state law.

Much the way our own society fares under the same totalitarian overclass.
You pretty much hit it. I'm sure you have seen all the posters and flyers promoting all of the government programs - not just letting them know that they are available, but really pushing them to live off of the government, shaming them if they do not (they are neglecting their families if they don't take free food) and making them totally dependent.

It is sad to me to see a village full of beautiful, intelligent, formerly resourceful people filled with unused potential because the government forces money, food, cell phones, television, and internet on them leaving them with no incentive for industry. The old people mourn the loss of their culture and the young people have a quasi-culture pushed on them by government programs (I recently saw government posters in a Yup'ik village addressing the people as "Lakota"), but the truth remains that it is the government intervention and coddling that has stripped their culture from them, more than anything else.

I have seen young people whose cultures used to value and teach respect for animals and fish now shoot things they have no use for and let carcasses rot in their yards. I watch local hire workers just walk away from a $35/hour job to go sit on the couch because when everything is subsidized by the government, it's so much easier to just do nothing.

The corruption that takes place during any election that might threaten these subsidies is appalling.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

you got that right. it's heart-breaking.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Grizz wrote:you got that right. it's heart-breaking.
Same thing happens on every US /.gov "Indian Reservation".

It's appalling.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Old Ironsights wrote:

It's appalling.
Same thing happens in thousands of inner city neighborhoods.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

SJPrice wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:

It's appalling.
Same thing happens in thousands of inner city neighborhoods.
for exactly the same reasons
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

I spent twenty nine years in the Yukon. I loved every minute. Time to get back up north and soak up the stillness.