Coat closures - questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Coat closures - questions

Post by 86er »

In a hunting or cold weather coat, what type of closure do you prefer and WHY?

1) zipper with external storm flap (the flap is outside and usually buttoned over the zipper)

2) zipper with and internal storm flap (the flap over-laps inside and the zipper can be seen on the outside)

3) buttons, no storm flap

4) buttons, internal storm flap (I've not seen too many with an external storm flap and buttons)

5) exposed external snaps

6) snaps with external storm flap

7) Some other mechanism or combination of mechanisms to close the coat

Thanks
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Coat closures - questions

Post by Mescalero »

My Carharts have zippers with external flaps, works for me.
The N.M. place is at 7,200 ft, gets pretty cold.
And there is one thing about New Mexico you have to know,
that------ wind is going to blow!!!!!!!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Having spent a lot of time working outdoors at -35 or -40 with freezing winds, my preference is (1), zipper with external storm flap that snaps closed as well. The external storm flap protects stuff from freezing onto the zipper. Buttons just allow too much wind to come in between the buttons. Also, I have for decades worn a shorter parka that only comes down half way down the bum. Last winter I got a longer parka that comes down below the bum and was amazed at how much warmer it was when I was out ice fishing with no shelter. The longer parkas need side zippers for when a fellow wants to sit down. I leave the side zippers undone most of the time except when I'm in really cold weather. The most recent parka I have acquired is a North Face Vostok. It's hood, however, was the pits and the fake fur trim unusable. Fortunately, my wife is an excellent seamstress. She ordered some real Coyote fur and modified the hood to do up better. Now that Parka is just the way I like it. By the way, I find that the fake fur clumps up, doesn't have the loft, and therefore does a much poorer job of cutting the side wind. Real fur does a much better job of cutting the side wind. In the old days, they used Wolverine because it did not ice up. My experience with Coyote fur, however, is good thus far. No icing up was experienced last winter, but I was not in enough cold weather conditions to really test it under prolonged heavy breathing when it is super cold.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

My favorite winter coats over the years, the ones that don't find their way to Goodwill, all have double zippers and both small internal and large external storm flaps. Like the Filson Packer used to have. I like being able to bundle up, or just snap a couple of the flap snaps for a breeze or unzip the bottom a bit for riding.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Kirk nailed it. Zipper closure and snaps on the storm flap
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

For hunting, I prefer buttons because they are quieter to use when I need to go fishing in a pocket in game country. (I replace the hard buttons with either leather buttons or cloth-covered ones, in the interest of being as quiet as I can while hunting.)

FWIW, The reason for the above is that I hunt only "tight" brushy/swampy areas, where I can't see more than 50yds, to know if a deer (or whatever) is close enough to hear my movements.

For other outdoor cold weather activities, a zipper w/storm flap works fine.

bdhold

Post by bdhold »

no offense Pete, but a good YKK zipper makes no noise, either.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

How cold do you expect it to be, any chance of being stranded overnight in the field?

I would agree with Kirk too. If the cold isn't bitter I've come to like snaps on my plaid jac shirt with layers to compensate for changing temps. My Carrhart fire retardant jacket for the patch has good insulation and snaps as well as zipper and storm flaps, bottom of butt, and a removable hood. I trust it for anything I might deal with. It is important to protect the zippers, they must always be workable and I think a double zipper is best so the bottom can be opened without undoing the whole zipper.

For bitter cold a proper parka and coveralls underneath works well. A proper parka should have long cuffs beyond the wrist gasket so hands are up the sleeve. Knee length for the arctic or mid thigh at least. A waist draw string, good neck protection, and a tunnel hood. -40 is bearable with good dry boots and mitts. This would be appropriate for Polar Bear and deep winter cold fronts but quite a beast to wear. I hate shovelling the sidewalk in that weather!

However if your climate is not too bitter, roughly -10F/-23C or better I like a heavy flannel or wool lumberjack shirt or long jackets with snaps overtop a down or wool lined zippered canvas vest for hunting. Instead of a t-shirt a cotton long sleeve turtleneck will keep a guy warm yet not sweaty. Followed by a flannel shirt so I can rollup the cuffs if needed. A light wool scarf, the kind that goes with a dress coat, is great for neck and face protection as is a bank robbers ski mask, just remember to take it off to get a cheque cashed. I wear warm gloves that go inside sturdy leather mitts. Make sure gloves, boots, coats are not tight.

The one mistake I have made too often was allowing my legs to be subject to wind and rapid cooling. I travel in bitter weather in the bush and make it a habit to wear long john bottoms under my jeans or pants all day. We can still get flannel lined jeans here and they also work great but should not be tight, actually a bit baggy.

It is impossible to beat good old wool if your not itchy to it. I have fond memories of hunting moose in the cold and being covered in a layer of frost because my wool clothes wicked the sweat to the surface but kept me warm. The modern fleecy hunting clothes might be a good substitute. I've had good luck with hitech fleece vests. I just seem to end up in wool.
Last edited by Canuck Bob on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

for cold weather I am wearing my M65 Army Field Jacket with zipper and external flap.
Zipper is pretty quiet, and don't care, generally not zipping and unzipping while hunting.
Seams to me it holds out the wind better than buttons.

On wing shooting jackets/coats, I prefer buttons, go figure.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Lately, hunting/fishing/motorcycling in the Great Pacific NorthWet, I have been using two light jackets. A thermal hoody underneath with a Frogg Toggs outer shell.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Carhartt ranch coat double zipper drawstring and storm closure over the zipper been good down to 20 below when elk hunting and a silk wildrag around the neck when bundled up cuts down on neck chaff. the double zipper works well if carrying a belly gun under the coat. I spray silicon on the zipper keeps it moving in the cold. head, hand, pants & foot gear is another story. danny
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Kirk and Bob both described the coats i prefer. pretty much the same sort of weather here and the same reasons. :)
cable
1894c

Post by 1894c »

bulldog1935 wrote:Kirk nailed it. Zipper closure and snaps on the storm flap
+1 ... my uniform jacket has the same--been in lots of snow, rain, mud and have been well protected... :)
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

+1 to KirkD
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS