A Trip For Our Older Board Members

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: A Trip For Our Older Board Members

Post by piller »

I remember in 1975 we had a house call from our family Doctor for an accident my oldest brother had. It required a few stitches. He had a bag with him and did it at the kitchen table.
My Dad's oldest brother had his tonsils removed at home sitting in a chair. He remembered being given a dose of Laudanum and when everything was all our of focus, the Doctor removed them and used something to puff some powder in his mouth and throat to stop the bleeding. That was in about 1924 or 1925.

Does anyone remember using Morton Sugar Cure on hams?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Booger Bill wrote:...When I was a kid I wrung my forearm and hand through a washing ,machine wringer mowing down a bunch of krauts. ..
My brother did that when he was 6 or so...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

piller wrote:
How many on here fired a P-38 while out camping, and what did you fire it at? I fired it at cans.

This is the only P-38 I ever had - this one from the early -60's. :mrgreen:

dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

How 'bout the Mickey Mouse Club? Annette Funicello in particular.
I Dream of Genie? Barbara Eden
Cisco Kid
Zorro
Whip Wilson
Lash LaRue (sp?)
Tales Of The Texas Rangers
The Lawman
Buffalo Bob
Capt. Kangaroo
Clarabelle the clown
Rink's Bargain City-local Cincy area
Whizzers - bicycles with motors
Starters on the floorboard
fender skirts
continental kits
spit cans on the car floor for tobacco chewers-yuck
tune-ups at 10k miles-plugs, points, condensor
hoar hound candy
pedal cars
trains hauling coal
coal oil stoves

Gotta go rest now.
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Forgot to add:
curb finders
static straps
squirrel tails on car antennas
coon skin caps

dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Its all we use here at the Sixgun homestead. I got tired of buying $600 washing machines every three years so I hunted down this like new example. We now have 4 of them and I'm done buying washing machines.

With a wringer you can do 3 loads of clothes in the time an automatic does one.......but........you have to stay with it. We wash horse blankets, big bedspreads, and other large things you cannot put in an automatic.--------6

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Pete44ru wrote:
piller wrote:
How many on here fired a P-38 while out camping, and what did you fire it at? I fired it at cans.

This is the only P-38 I ever had - this one from the early -60's. :mrgreen:

That is the same type of P-38 that I fired at cans. It opened them up and I put the can by the fire to warm up the food in it.

Did you all know that Captain Kangaroo, Bob Keeshan, was drafted into the Marine Corps toward the end of WWII. If I remember correctly, he never saw combat, but he served.

Sixgun, have you ever heard of having your tit in a wringer? That saying came from women getting their breast caught in the wringer of one of those machines back in the day before women wore a bra. Flopping loose inside the blouse or top of the dress and being too close when wringing out the clothes gave a few women a painful experience.

Does anyone know what people used lye in the outhouse for? Red and white corncobs?
Has anyone here used a Scythe and shocked wheat?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Piller,
No on the titty thing but I heard and still do hear that when a guy gets into a mess of trouble of some sort, he is said to "get his (unit) caught in the wringer". :D

The Maytags we have all are from the sixties and seventies and there is a latch that instantly releases the wringer if, well, something gets caught in there that should not be. :D

If the modern person really knew how efficient and durable these old wringers are, there would be a resurgence of some sort. You wash the whites first and then use the same water to do the darks and while the darks are washing, you rinse the whites and wring out and throw 'em in the dryer. And then if you have some really nasty rags or grease covered jeans, you just throw them in the dirty water, add some more soap and go to town. Dump the water and throw in a new batch of clothes. I litterly can wash 6 loads of clothes in the time an automatic can do one as most clothes don't get dirty, only body odor smelly and these you only wash for 2 minutes.

Here's my set up. I have two more machines outside on the deck of the barn.-----6
Image\cell \lastrow\row}

Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

"Doctors that made house calls" I got that beat! I can remember the TV repairman making house calls. I remember the first TV in our town and only 2 channels in the state, both about 80 or more miles away. My friends and I used to spend Saturday afternoons in front of it watching prewar westerns.

A big +1 for wringer washing machines specially Maytags.

My great aunt had her appendix taken out on the kitchen table while her father held her down. She was about 12 and it would have been in 1912 which is really a little before our discussion.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

I think the TV repairman came out because the TV's were too big and heavy to bring in. My Dad bought a tube tester and stock of tubes from a drug store that went out of business so he could fix his own. My Mom got pretty good at figuring out which tube to test and getting the TV back up. Not sure why, there wasn't that much on during the day, but she made us stay out of the heat of the day in the basement during the summer and my two brothers didn't like to read like I did so they probably drove her crazy without the TV.

The good old days.

My best friend in 8th grade (still my best friend though he lives in Nashville and I live in Mo.) would ride his bike to my house carrying his Ithaca single shot .22. Then I would sling my Remington 511 bolt gun and we would ride our bikes up one of the major roads in west St. Louis county to the local gas station where we bought a 50 rd box of .22. The owner would give us a "deal" depending on what he had too much of. All three brands, all three sizes, we didn't care, the price was usually around $.80. We then went down to the creek and spent a glorious hour in competition for the title of Rifleman of the Day. If we were short of cash we could pick up soda and beer bottles along the road and collect the deposits for ammo money.

Back then every gas station, and most of the local grocery stores had a shelf dedicated to .22 ammo, a few shotgun shells, and even some deer rifle ammo like .30-30, .30-06, and .300 Savage. No ATF, the Herters catalog included rifles, pistols and shotgun you could get your Dad to order for you.

We both till have our rifles and sometimes when I go to visit him we shoot at the local conservation range. Not as good as the creek, but I have a feeling finding a creek to shoot these days isn't an option.
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I think I'll sum it all up.

I'm 59 and saw the way the old heads ran their lives. My paternal grandparents came from the old country....on the boat to Ellis Island.

My grandparents generation, my parents generation, and my early years were very good years, full of good hard work, solid food, and little political correctness. Everyone knew their place and dared not "cross the tracks".

When anyone looks back, we tend to remember the good and forget the bad.

Back in the day, most fathers worked 60 hours a week and that was enough to keep food on the table, own ONE car, buy their kids shoes and clothes once a year, one, maybe two guns, usually no handguns, factory ammo that was shot carefully, a push mower to cut an acre of grass, ( that was my job). I have worked since I was about 10 and cut other peoples grass and ran a paper route so I could have enough money to go to summer camp with the Boy Scouts.

THESE ARE THE BEST DAYS, BUT ITS UP TO YOU TO DELIVER THE PROPER VALUES TO YOUR CHILDREN AND ITS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO MANAGE YOUR MONEY PROPERLY.

Lots more stress today but if you keep your mind on it, you can live like a king and have little stress. Today, everyone has two or more cars, which by the way are lasting, much more dependable, safer, good heaters,etc.,, gun collections to fill a big safe, vacations about anywhere you want to go, the BEST technology in medicine and surgery, proper food awareness, Redwing boots, :D , levergun forums, cell phones, instant information on anything by the internet.......on an on....

These really are the best days, it's up to you to take advantage of it all. Remember, we all tend to forget the worries and uncertainty of the old days. --------Sixgun

jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Thanks fellas!

Jack
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

Pitchy wrote:
Paddling by Principals
Boy do I remember that one :roll: :lol:
Me too.....the teacher got 3 of us guys after school on day for not doing our home work, 8th. grade...but he got me low on the back of my thighs ,,,,,,, man! it was like fire on the mile walk home.
I'll never forget the pain :o
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Since I attended parochial school, not only did I have to wear knickers, but when we were "bad", Sister Mary Elephant used the wooden-ruler-across-both-extended-hands option - one hand at a time, of course, then had us turn our hands over to the other side after we grinned through it.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:Timmy and Lassie - Timmy was too stupid to live... How many wells did he fall into?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad I bought some keyboard-cleaner. . .
I remember Jeff, and Lassie....he was a pretty good country boy.....Timmy was a puss...He would have lived about 20 minutes at his first day at my high school.. :P :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

BlaineG wrote:.Timmy was a puss...He would have lived about 20 minutes at his first day at my high school.. :P :P
Ha! Timmy would have been captain of the football team and class president where I went to school. We were all backward country bumpkins where we all majored in hunting, working on junk cars, and slamming down beers. There were a few rich kids that their dad's drove Jaguars and Corvettes.

I drive past the old school (Garnet Valley) all the time and now the kids drive the Jaguars and Corvettes.

I sure got a waking up when I entered the working field at 18. The "bros" gave me a crash course in city life and street smarts.------6

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:
BlaineG wrote:.Timmy was a puss...He would have lived about 20 minutes at his first day at my high school.. :P :P
Ha! Timmy would have been captain of the football team and class president where I went to school. We were all backward country bumpkins where we all majored in hunting, working on junk cars, and slamming down beers. There were a few rich kids that their dad's drove Jaguars and Corvettes.

I drive past the old school (Garnet Valley) all the time and now the kids drive the Jaguars and Corvettes.

I sure got a waking up when I entered the working field at 18. The "bros" gave me a crash course in city life and street smarts.------6
I won't go into the town I grew up in, and went to 12 years of school.....The urbanization is complete, and thugs and drug sales are the norm at the schools...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV