Oil Change 2014 Jeep Patriot

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Oil Change 2014 Jeep Patriot

Post by Old Savage »

Well fellas, the new Jeep Patriot is supposed to tell me when to change the oil, not to go over 10,000 miles or one year whichever comes first. Any idea what it is monitoring to do this, obviously not miles.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Oil Change 2014 Jeep Patriot

Post by pshort »

Fred,

I think the NSA will be telling you when to change oil!............

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Well now is when U whip out Ur SmartPhone and ask.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I've been told it's not a Senser
but a program on your driving habit. A lot of stop. N go vs highway.
If you love your jeep, change it every 3-4 thousand miles.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Six Jr is correct. It's a program in the ECM that calculates oil life based on your driving habits. Someone that drives all city may be told to change the oil at 4K, and someone that drives all highway might not be told to change it until 8K or more. I still don't like to go over 5K, regardless of the type of driving, but most manufacturers are going to 5k to 7500 mile services because customer satisfaction surveys indicated people were more inclined to buy a vehicle with lower maintenance costs. So they just upped the miles they required between oil changes as part of lowering overall maintenance costs.
NRA Life Member
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Thanks for the info fellas!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

My '01 Monte Carlo (originally my wife's) has been changed based on the Oil Life Monitor for 120K miles using conventional oil most of the time, but using some synthetic when I catch a sale. It's a 3.4 which is one of the few engines you can see inside the valve cover through the filler, and it's as clean as it was during the first 10K miles. When my wife was on the highway every day it went the full 7500 between changes, now that I only drive about 6000/year it turns the message on right at 6000 so it's now once a year.

From what I've been able to read Chrysler's monitor works pretty much the same as the GM one. It keeps track of your driving habits, like how often it reaches full temp and stays there, then calculates oil life based on that. The big variable is how much oil improves with each new standard. Present day long engine life is due to the qualities of modern oil as much as modern manufacturing.

Obviously during the warranty period you need to meet the factory schedule, which now is usually a much longer interval than even a few years ago. Which oil? You can't buy a bad 5W30, 5W20, 0W30, brand makes no difference so long as it meets the standards. I normally try to buy for the M/C a couple months ahead to catch a sale. Just picked up 5 qts. of Quaker State full synthetic and a house brand filter for $19.95 at Advance. The wife's '03 Avalon was serviced by the Toyota dealer before we bought it from her Mom, because it's right on the edge of Toyota's infamous sludging era it gets Mobile 1 0W30 and the special Motorcraft filter ,FL400S, made for the original SHO engine for extra protection. So far so good.
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

At the Nissan Dealership, I get a 6 QT Mobil-1 change, the usual 48 point check, and a wash/vacuum for about 60 bucks....Sold!
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have 4 free oil changes with the dealer and an 83 yr warranty from Chrysler/Jeep. For the Tacoma I used Amsoil and their filters.

dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Just had "The Works" done on my '09 F-150 yesterday. Oil change, tires rotated, all fluids topped off if needed, brakes inspected, tires inspected and rotated. They use Ford synthetic blend oil and Ford filter. Never a problem. I rotated the 20" wheels and tires once, never again! Those puppies are heavy! Total cost at Ford was $46.00. My original dealer did a free wash job too if I asked. I used to do my own oil changes on my Tacoma. By the time I bought 6 quarts of Mobil 1 and a filter I was near $30 bucks. Plus I did all the labor and had to dispose of the oil. I love my F-150 so will let Ford take care of her.
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I think Sixgun jr hit the nail on the head first. I change my oil every 5K miles.
My new Ford will be going to the dealer soon for it`s first service. 4,800 mi. on the clock now.
Ford has a points system and the purchase of a set of seat covers to protect my new seats has a free oil change already listed for it. :wink:
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Old Savage wrote: ... and an 83 yr warranty from Chrysler/Jeep.
Now that's some mighty fine warranty, ...and an optimistic one at that. You should be able to pass that Jeep on to a couple of more generations, beyond when you'll ever need a vehicle.:wink:
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Chuck 100 yd wrote: ... the purchase of a set of seat covers to protect my new seats :wink:
Isn't that what George Costanza's mom did for her new couch?
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

OS

Its one thing that your jeeps PCM guesses the aprox time to change it and its another thing what your warranty requires.
Be very cautious in regards to you maintenance schedule.
Most have hidden stipulations that can void warranties when you think you have done everything properly

Example would be such as the following, Oil/filter change at 6 months or 7500 miles WHICH EVER COMES FIRST!
Another example would be the way how they consider NORMAL DRIVING CONDITIONS.
If driven in Salt areas whether road salt or in area of sea salt must have items a,b,c, done at this time/mileage?
If driven in Hot/cold/temperate Climates Oil must be changed ? Same with towing!
What they might consider harsh you may not, just be very careful how you discuss issues with Dealership in regards to maintenance dept.
Anything you do yourself, keep all receipts and insure there is proof of date/item purchased. Example 5qts of Castrol GTX and Oil Filter item # that matches your vehicle. Example on back on receipt OS changed oil at this date with this amount of miles and make sure the date stuff bought is not after time service was done by you! :lol: If they do any maintenance stuff ask for additional copy and keep all copies home in case somehow those in glove box come up missing when service is needed or their computer just somehow don't have it on their system!

So when they say you went 5,000 miles on that oil change instead of 3,000 in that hot climate :twisted: You say what hot climate, they smile and say lets check your PCM ????? :lol: :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Madman - your post # is exactly what my odo reading was this AM. Thanks for that info. Usually what I do. :)

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Read a Consumer Reports article one time that had IIRC two identical cars run 100,000 each changing oil in one at 3,000 and the other at 7,500 mi. then disassembling the engines and taking measurements on the appropriate parts. The report was that they found no differences.

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Before my father retired, he worked for the Missouri State Hwy Dept. They conducted a similar study on the state vehicles in an effort to reduce maintence costs. They took used oil from identicle vehicles, and sent it to a lab for analysis. Some of the cars had been driven 7000 miles and some had been driven 3000 miles. There was no appreciable difference in the qualities of the oil. All vehicles went to 7500 mile oil changes.
NRA Life Member
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Oil is cheap. Filters are cheap. You can get rid of the old stuff for free at most auto parts stores. It takes less than a half hour to change oil and filter (I spent a couple of hours under my Jeep lubing and tightening and generally fooling around, but I enjoy it). So, why not just change it every three to four thousand miles and not have to worry about any unusual wear and tear on a very expensive piece of equipment.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Why not 2,000 then. Question is when is there a difference? Oil changes constantly.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

2014 Jeep Patriot decided it wanted an oil change at 6848. Oil was still somewhat clear. Last trip it got 32 mpg Lancaster to Paso Robles with three adults and luggage aboard.

Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Fred,

I think that many cars use an "infered mileage" counter to govern when certain things should happen (emissions maintainance; oil changes; etcetera). Typically, this counter keeps track of your key-on time, and assumes that you would only turn on your car if you are driving. Every time that you turn the key to the "on" position, you tally up minutes & hours, which is translated into assumed mileage, and this leads to mistimed events, such as early oil changes.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage