Righting a Wrong With The .444

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Win94
Levergunner 2.0

Righting a Wrong With The .444

Post by Win94 »

Ever have sellers remorse? I mean a real deep deep regret? I did about 7 years ago when i sold this Marlin 444S

A couple weeks ago i had the opportunity to trade a Savage 16 Weather Warrior in .300 WSM for a Marlin 444S
I jumped on it right away. I was astounded to learn it is also my vintage. Its a 1972, the year i was born. :D Mounted a period correct Japanese made Tasco 1-3.5 x 20 variable and sighted it in with factory Remmy loads for now as i have no time for load development as our season up here is in full swing. Managed to punch a doe tag with it last Sunday. The misses and i are heading out tomorrow for three days to fill the freezer and i will be toting the Trip 4 and she will have her Savage .30-06 bolt gun. Mistakes aren't always easily corrected, however I am very grateful for the opportunity to correct the one i made with the Marlin 444S...... :D

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne -
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Righting a Wrong With The .444

Post by Blaine »

Great pics.....superior rifle. .... 8) I should put a scout scope on mine (a 73?)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Good for you! I sold my first one back in 1980 because, well lets just say I needed the money. Finally replaced it last year, but the new one has that silly crossbolt safety thingy on it.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Very nice. A 444S has been on my wish list for some time. 8)
NRA Life Member
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Nice story :)

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Congrats all the way around. Now, what is the difference in the model.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Bloodhound
Levergunner

Post by Bloodhound »

Congrats on recovering the 444s and the hunt...good luck on your current hunt. Nice levergun!
Scott

Do Justice
Love Mercy
Walk Humbly With Your GOD
1894c

Post by 1894c »

i have always liked the 444-Marlin, but never owned one...i'm starting to lean towards a 35 Remington, but a 444 could be a good choice too... Win94...nice choice in levergun and cartridge... :)
Last edited by 1894c on Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Win94 »

Old Savage wrote:Congrats all the way around. Now, what is the difference in the model.

In 1972 they went from a 24" barrel to a 22" barrel and added the "S" to the model 444 which stoood for "sporter". In 1976 they dropped the barrel band and went to the forestock cap you see in the first pic....
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Great story and a successful hunt right away. The 444 is a dandy, may I say the best bush rifle ever designed (a highly biased opinion based only in reality).

I almost sold my 444 bought as my first new rifle new in the 70s. The exact model you bought and my favourite with that slim western forearm. The folks here saved me making your early mistake when I revealed my plan. The sign of a good man is one that acknowledges his mistakes and makes amends. The best amend I could imagine is buying a nice 444S and filling the freezer with open range organic meat.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Win94 wrote:
Old Savage wrote:Congrats all the way around. Now, what is the difference in the model.

In 1972 they went from a 24" barrel to a 22" barrel and added the "S" to the model 444 which stoood for "sporter". In 1976 they dropped the barrel band and went to the forestock cap you see in the first pic....

You're partially correct !

In 1971 they brought out the pistol gripped barrel banded 22" 444S ( I know this because I owned two seriel numbered to 1971) . They ceased production of the original 444 the striaght gripped monte carlo stocked barrel banded 24" in 1972 (I know this because I own two of the original style seriel numbered to 1972 ).

At the apex of my collection I had seven of the 444S that were made from 1971 to 1975 . FWIW there are some non barrel banded 444S rifles floating around that seriel number to 1975 as well .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

94 that is a nice looking rifle, BUT that Puma sure is a fine blade, how old is it???
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Win94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Win94 »

JerryB wrote:94 that is a nice looking rifle, BUT that Puma sure is a fine blade, how old is it???

I'm unsure Jerry. I'm not much of a knife guy. Are they sought after much?
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Fine story on the gun!! ( sellers remorse from me ooohhhh ) nice deer

yes Im asking bout the knife to

ollogger
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

The older models sell pretty good, some bring real good money.
When you have time look on the blade ,there should be some number there. Mine was made the 1960's I think, the model number is 6396. You can find them on Google type in "old puma knives" should tell you a lot about them. I tried for many years to buy mine from my brother inlaw and he finally gave it to me.
I think your knife is the Puma Skinner. Does your sheath have a small strap over the finger guard and a leather loop through the handle???
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

JerryB wrote:The older models sell pretty good, some bring real good money.
When you have time look on the blade ,there should be some number there. Mine was made the 1960's I think, the model number is 6396. You can find them on Google type in "old puma knives" should tell you a lot about them. I tried for many years to buy mine from my brother inlaw and he finally gave it to me.
I think your knife is the Puma Skinner. Does your sheath have a small strap over the finger guard and a leather loop through the handle???
A friend of my father's had a Puma White Hunter I believe it was called when I was about 10-12 years old !

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-gYgUn6F-a1o/T ... 523677.JPG

http://cutlerscove.com/hunting-knives/i ... r-stag.jpg

I wanted that thing in the worst way !
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

6 point that was the one with the big blade that was broad at the end I think.

Been thinking and praying for your wife and her family how are they?????

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Canuck Bob wrote:The best amend I could imagine is buying a nice 444S and filling the freezer with open range organic meat.
I tell folks I meet that we live out in the country, and "we raise organic, free-range venison". . . takes 'em awhile to figure out I just mean we like to HUNT DEER. . . :lol:

The 444 Marlin doesn't have the 'antiquity' of the 45-70 going for it, nor the ability to throw 400-plus grain bullets easily, but it IS an awesome cartridge and a nice gun made just for it.

Hard choice between the 35 Remington and 444 Marlin, but I got the 444 when I was in that position, because I already had several firearms reasonably close to the 35 Remington ballistically, but nothing close to the 444 marlin except the 45-70, which I wanted to keep somewhat 'vintage' in my loading. (If I did it over again, I'd stick with the 444 in my leverguns, and only get 45-70 in a Ruger No.1, so I could just stick with super-thumper loads for the 45-70.)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Good for you. Here's hoping that your rifle never lets you down.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote:The 444 Marlin doesn't have the 'antiquity' of the 45-70 going for it, nor the ability to throw 400-plus grain bullets easily, but it IS an awesome cartridge and a nice gun made just for it.
I should hope it doesn't have the "antiquity" as you put it !

When the first ones were made in 1964 I was three years old so if it were an antique then I'd be one also . And I ain't ready for that one yet !

As to 400 grains plus it really isn't that difficult as long as you have the faster twist later ballard rifled guns . I regularly shoot 400-450 grainers .

But there's no way I can get the velocity I got shooting 400-450 grainers in the 45-70 . By volume of powder it's no contest .

I like the 444 better then most , but I'll be the first to say at about 425 grains up the 45-70 walks away from it hands down .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote: 45-70 in a Ruger No.1, so I could just stick with super-thumper loads for the 45-70.)
I have yet to own a 45-70 in a #1 .

I have however had a 1H in 458 WIN MAG . I have also had a number of 45-70 Marlin lever actions and I did the super thump uhms . Shooting a good many cast bullets from 300-550 grains . It is my opinion that the 45-70 in a #1 with a...s...s stomping loads is gonna be bad . The 1H 458 I had was not nice from the bench (hence the reason I no longer have it ) and it's heavier then a 1S in 45-70 so I would assume the 1S 45-70 might also be more then a handfull .

Before someone says I'm used to shooting p...u...s...s...y calibers that ain't so !

I have 375 H&H , 416 REM MAG etc etc and shoot them .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

JerryB wrote: Been thinking and praying for your wife and her family how are they?????
Thank you sir and all are fine !
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Did sort of the same thing myself once. When I went into the service I gave a cousin my Nylon 66. Naturally I eventually regretted it. He'll never let it go, so I ended up buying one a couple of years ago. I actually feel much younger when I pull it out and go to the range or bunny chasing with it.

Congrats on being whole again.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

jeepnik wrote:Did sort of the same thing myself once. When I went into the service I gave a cousin my Nylon 66. Naturally I eventually regretted it. He'll never let it go, so I ended up buying one a couple of years ago. I actually feel much younger when I pull it out and go to the range or bunny chasing with it.

Congrats on being whole again.
Thats kinda the same reason I think I like the guns that would have been new when I was in my youth !
North Country Gal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by North Country Gal »

Always nice to get a second chance with a gun you never should have sold. Been there a few times, myself. Good for you.

I've had a thing for the 444 ever since Marlin introduced it in the 60s ( I also shoot the 444 in an Encore pistol. Not as bad as you might think.). Here's my latest. It's a 1979 444S which I rescued from a pawn shop. A previous owner had glopped varnish all over it, but the bluing was still very good, so took it home a refinished the stock. As for the old 444 versus 45-70 debate, the answer is to own both. :)

Here's my straight gripped 1895, also made in 1979