Just a neat "old man's" gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Just a neat "old man's" gun

Post by wecsoger »

Presented for General Discussion by The Order.

Did some work concerning family issues (an aging relative), wound up given this for my troubles. Just got it this weekend so haven't had time for the range or anything else.

S&W model 37 (inside stamped "Mod 37", no -1 or whatever), on the right side of the barrel "Airweight 38 SPL. CTG."

So it's a 'blued" aluminum framed model 36 with steel cylinder and barrel. Holster wear on the frame, barrel and cylinder. Just a touch of rotational wiggle to the cylinder, it's tight and solid end to end. Perfectly good example of "carried a lot, shot little".

Of course it's been 'updated' with the standard trigger shoe and Uncle Mike's grips. It's a three screw, so that makes it 1962 or later.

What is interesting to me is the holster, even though it's in bad shape. It's one of the earliest paddle holsters I've seen. On the back is "Brauer Bros. MFG Co St Louis MO" and below that stamped "D W 32". One of the rivets is almost pulled through and the tension adjustment has been replaced by a a cheap galvanized screw.

This one has some stories I wish it could tell......

Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Re: Just a neat "old man's" gun

Post by Hagler »

wecsoger,

That is a neat story. Thanks, for sharing.

I am glad to see another one of those Brauer Brothers holsters. I got a lefthanded one, D W 34, when I bought a 40-year-old Taurus model 60, from a pawnshop. I believe that mine is 2" longer than yours, though, due to the Model 60's 4" barrel. Too bad that I am righthanded. :idea:
100_5722 900.jpg
100_5723 900.jpg
100_5724 900.jpg
100_5725 900.jpg
Shawn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Hagler on Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I've got a little Model 36 that I've had for years. 100% reliable that one.

That guy needs some exercise.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

You did just fine with that. Mine is a M37-2 and is next to the 'puter right now. She spends a lot of time with me. Mine has the boot grips. She works just fine in the DeSantis pocket holster. Also works well in my Simply Rugged Silver Dollar Pancake holster IWB. I bought mine from a co-worker. Only shot a few times, and not a mark on her. That's not so anymore. :) You will like yours. Oh yes, I am an old man also. :D
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Good on you, for helping !

The M37's are great little carry guns, due to the light weight - I was able to buy a 3" version for my youngest Daughter on the occassion of her moving out of our home to a home of her own.

She practices weekly with it, and CCW's it with Glaser Safety Slugs in warm weather or Hornady high-performance self-defense JHP's in cold weather.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as she does hers.

missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
When I ETS'd from the "Pickle Suit Brigade" in 74 a model 36 was one of the first items I bought. Then shortly found a model 37. Probably 10 years later came across a model 38 "bodyguard" and snatched that up. No regrets on purchasing any one of those. Fine little carry revolvers still capable of taking care of the owner.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Thanks for comments and pictures, guys.

I was wondering about the D W 32, it's obviously a model number. Wasn't sure before it was a different style and font stamp on the holster.

As far as the latter, not sure what I can do with it. One rivet is good, other has pulled through. I've no problem doing the actual repair but finding a correct replacement rivet might be problematic.

Gotta lose the big grips too.

Yeah. Gotta get this one out to the range. I suspect my daughter may be interested in it. I'll show it to her when she gets home from college.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Ever see the Antonio Banderas movie "The 13th Warrior"?

The Arab had just whittled a broadsword down to a scimitar.

A Viking asks him: "When you die, can I give that to me daughter?"

:?

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Actually it was " me sister "
But I DID like the movie.
Neil Casper
Levergunner

Post by Neil Casper »

I have one of those holsters for my S&W M-640. I picked it out of a box of used leather and paid $5 for it. It's pretty handy when you know you will need to remove your pistol during the day when visiting the doctor, schools, etc.

I love the movie The Thirteenth Warrior, based on Michael Crichton's Eaters of the Dead.
neil
If it doesn't fit in my sea bag, I'm not going!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Mescalero wrote:Actually it was " me sister "
But I DID like the movie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ECzAm8vCh4

:wink:

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

My sound does not work, what did he say?