Lonesome Dove

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
aussie
Levergunner 2.0

Lonesome Dove

Post by aussie »

Well, it's that time of year again. Why is it that I never tire of watching this classic western? :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Lonesome Dove

Post by Blaine »

aussie wrote:Well, it's that time of year again. Why is it that I never tire of watching this classic western? :D
Miss Peach is a babe? :o
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

You never tire cut its amazing!!!
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:
aussie wrote:Well, it's that time of year again. Why is it that I never tire of watching this classic western? :D
That's one good reason, right there...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I'd like to know why they did a re-make with John Voight in the Tommy Lee Jones role, not that I don't like Voight, I do, just couldn't see the point of re-inventing the wheel. jd45
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Always will be The Top of the heap for Me.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Well, for me, I like to watch it almost every time around is because my memory. I can't remember what happened the last time I watched it! :lol:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

I still can't watch the part where Blue Duck kills Roscoe and the kids. :cry:

I'm always fascinated by the spectral Deets leading P.I. back to the herd. :shock:
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

BlaineG wrote:
You sent me to google........I regret that time spent! :shock: Thanks a lot!
The Lord Bless You

Terry
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

jd45 wrote:I'd like to know why they did a re-make with John Voight in the Tommy Lee Jones role, not that I don't like Voight, I do, just couldn't see the point of re-inventing the wheel. jd45
"Return to Lonesome Dove", starring Jon Voight, is not a remake.. It's a sequel, picking up shortly after the Original ends.. There is a subsequent sequel to "Return", called "Streets of Laredo", starring James Garner as Woodrow..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Thanx for the correction Buck. You refreshed my memory. BTW, I do remember the Jim Garner thing you mentioned. jd45
P.S.-there's a thread entitled "Handloading .45 Colt for the Uberti 1873, now on page 4. The last post was a question I asked you. Mind checkin it out & replying? I'd really appreciate it. Thanx.
aussie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by aussie »

Sorry guys Peach just doesn't do it for me :-). She did it for the rooster though. 'Doesn't pay to rile Peach'.=-O
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Buck Elliott wrote:
jd45 wrote:I'd like to know why they did a re-make with John Voight in the Tommy Lee Jones role, not that I don't like Voight, I do, just couldn't see the point of re-inventing the wheel. jd45
"Return to Lonesome Dove", starring Jon Voight, is not a remake.. It's a sequel, picking up shortly after the Original ends.. There is a subsequent sequel to "Return", called "Streets of Laredo", starring James Garner as Woodrow..

All those, plus 2 "prequels" -- "Dead MAn's Walk" and "Comanche Moon"

I have seen all these and have them in my dvd inventory somewhere (inventory for me means stacked loosely in a tote box that I have long forgotten the whereabouts)

All are worth seeing -- they don't top the original, but are worth seeing on their own right

Pics are from a Lonesome Dove exhibit they had at TX State Univ./ San Marcos a few years back --- was able to take in the Rangers museum in Waco the next day -- fun trip (but I still don't have an 1895 Winnie -- swore i'd procure one 4 years ago after seeing all of them at the Waco museum --- I have to do something about that soon)

Last edited by Streetstar on Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
----- Doug
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

I never seen anything Robert Duvall was in that I didn't like.
Not that I've seen EVERYTHING he's been in.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bullard4075 wrote:I never seen anything Robert Duvall was in that I didn't like.
Not that I've seen EVERYTHING he's been in.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=sec ... A078BD3526

If only life were so simple - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkccqola ... SG6osJPPfo

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Good Duvall interview - http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Rob ... 54F79143FD

I continue to be surprised by the VARIETY of stuff he's done I didn't realize - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Duvall
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I agree!
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Doug, you got me shakin my head in dispair, I swear to God! I guess even in Texas, there are some people who don't spit about guns! Puttin cartridges in a display with a Colt Walker, which is undoubtedly a FRONTLOADER is well, dare I say it? SACRELIGIOUS, to say the least! Or am I over-reacting? jd45
P.S....VERY nice display, tho! Thanx for posting the pics.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

jd45, ISTR that all the guns used were conversion. Almost a necessity when dealin' with movie blanks. 'Sides, the rifles used cartridges, no?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Best line or witticism I ever heard Duval say in an interview went something like : "You don't want an old wife, they'll make you old" :idea: :lol:
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

jd45 wrote:Doug, you got me shakin my head in dispair, I swear to God! I guess even in Texas, there are some people who don't spit about guns! Puttin cartridges in a display with a Colt Walker, which is undoubtedly a FRONTLOADER is well, dare I say it? SACRELIGIOUS, to say the least! Or am I over-reacting? jd45
P.S....VERY nice display, tho! Thanx for posting the pics.
:lol: :lol: --- I didn't even notice myself , but it does beg me to ask , when were cartridge conversions starting to become somewhat common?
(but yes, the folks who put the display together likely did not pay that much attention)
as for myself, my knowledge stops abruptly at about the Winchester 1892 mark --- they could have put a Ruger Old Army in there and I would have been none the wiser
----- Doug
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

AJMD429 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
That's one good reason, right there...

wasnt babe the name of a pig!...

Great Movie!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I was totally and completely Underwhelmed by "Dead Man's Walk", supposedly the precursor to the Lonesome Dove saga.. There is No Way that the characters (Gus & Woodrow) portrayed by smarmy David Arquette and Jonny Lee Miller, could ever have matured into the Men, played by Duvall & Jones.. On the Texas frontier, neither of those youngsters would have made it alive, long enough to have been more than a sketchy memory at the beginning of "Comanche Moon.."

I do enjoy Comanche Moon, on occasion, and Lonesome Dove (above all..) and I am intrigued by Return to Lonesome Dove (Voight) and by Streets of Laredo (with Jim Garner..)

None of the other LD movies ring quite so true as the original, which McMurtry lifted - almost verbatim, in so many places - from the journals and diaries of Goodnight and Loving, early Texas "cattle barons" of epic stature..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

You're right, griff........... I'd forgotten about hollywood conversions. Pale Rider comes to mind with the Remington NM Army. And the rifles certainly did use ca'tridges....that's a fact. jd45
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Buck Elliott wrote:I was totally and completely Underwhelmed by "Dead Man's Walk", supposedly the precursor to the Lonesome Dove saga.. There is No Way that the characters (Gus & Woodrow) portrayed by smarmy David Arquette and Jonny Lee Miller, could ever have matured into the Men, played by Duvall & Jones.. ..

LOL --- I thought those 2 were an odd choice as well , but after I saw the original, in fairly rapid succession I had to see the rest
----- Doug
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Streetstar wrote:
Buck Elliott wrote:I was totally and completely Underwhelmed by "Dead Man's Walk", supposedly the precursor to the Lonesome Dove saga.. There is No Way that the characters (Gus & Woodrow) portrayed by smarmy David Arquette and Jonny Lee Miller, could ever have matured into the Men, played by Duvall & Jones.. ..

LOL --- I thought those 2 were an odd choice as well , but after I saw the original, in fairly rapid succession I had to see the rest
Keith Carradine was excellent though and stole the show. I have always liked his stuff, going back to his role in The Long Riders. He was great in Monty Walsh too.

Love Lonesome Dove as well. My favorite scene is when they first start to Mexico to " gather" stock. If that doesn't make you want to saddle up and go along.....Better check your pulse. ;)
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

I love the Lonesome Dove series and have it on CDs. I think it is about time that Duvall and Selleck do something together. :D Maybe something 'bout old Texas Rangers. Perhaps Miss Boots could add the spice. 8)
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
Todd1700
Levergunner

Post by Todd1700 »

Why is it that I never tire of watching this classic western?
Well I'd say because it is hands down the best mini series to ever air on television. It had a cast the likes of which you will probably never see assembled again for such a project. And it was based on a Pulitzer prize winning book. I watch it at least a couple times a year.