Just wondering!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KiwiKev
Levergunner 2.0

Just wondering!

Post by KiwiKev »

I have seen a reflex sight on a lever action. I have seen a tang sight on a lever action. What about an adjustable red dot reflect sight which screws onto where the tang sight goes or is that a bit too strange?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Just wondering!

Post by Pete44ru »

Reflex/RedDot sights are not like a peep sight, where the closer the sight is to the shooter's eye, the better.

They are more like a scope, in that they don't require a front sight; AND AFAIK nobody's making a commercially-available mount for any of the existing reflex sights that would mount them on other than a Weaver-type base or female sight dovetail (w/adaptor).

IMHO, any mount cobbled together for mounting on the tang of a levergun is a non-starter, due to the height & size/bulk needed, to say nothing of the sight being struck by the rear of the bolt during cycling and preventing the trigger hand from grasping the wrist of the stock and/or the lever.

Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

Somebody, it might be Turnbull, makes a base for the Burris Fastfire that attaches at the receiver sight location. The Fastfire is a short compact sight and this looks like a good setup. I can't imagine mounting one on the tang but let us know how it works.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've seen advertisements for a red-dot base (probably the Burris Fastfire-II) that consists of a piece of metal that is bent at an angle and has the proper hole to allow a pump shotgun stock to mate to the receiver through this piece of metal (kind of like the AR-15 collapsible stock single-point-sling attachments). Anyway, it does position the sight as you say.

Since the holographic sight doesn't have a separate 'front' sight portion, I am not so sure that being close to the eye is helpful in terms of any concept of 'sight radius', and if the rim of the 'window' is thin enough, your field of view is great no matter how far the sight is from the eye.

Interesting idea, though... 8)

I do like my Burris Fastfire-II's. . .

My 'Night Scout' rifles:

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "