Hornady Suspends Production of 150 Ammo Types and 150 Bullet

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Hornady Suspends Production of 150 Ammo Types and 150 Bullet

Post by new pig hunter »

I just stumbled across this from July 2013 .....

--------------------------
Hornady Suspends Production of 150 Ammo Types and 150 Bullet Types for Balance of 2013

notice dated July 2013 .....
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... e-of-2013/

here's the list showing my favorite Item 3705 for my .375 Winchester ......
http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/hornsuspend03op.png

Cheers,

Carl
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hornady Suspends Production of 150 Ammo Types and 150 Bu

Post by Mescalero »

I use some of those :(
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

There simply is / will be a greater demand for bullets that fit into .mil calibers than in "hunting" calibers.

When you see production of 20ga being cut, you know that shooting is imminent...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

3515 35 CAL .358 200 GR RN
well, this one is still being produced, so no worries.

Seriously, what they are doing is offering fewer choices of certain weights and styles, not eliminating calibers, so they can produce more of the popular ones of each caliber. Just about every caliber still has several choices.

They want to be able set their machines up and run them for a while. I'm sure the other manufacturers are doing the same thing without issuing press releases.

Here's a link to what's being produced till the end of 2013 (just a couple of months).

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/sup ... n-List.pdf

Though maybe it will get to the point where hunting calibers will be infrequent seasonable runs like 38-55 is now, with the bulk of production moving to military calibers.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

It`s all about producing a product that is going to make the most money for the investment.
Remington said it cost over $75K to tool up (just the dies) to run an existing machine in a new caliber.
Many of the near obsolete calibers tooling is getting worn out after 100 +/- years of use. Would you spent $75K to replace tooling for the (name an old cartridge) round when you are selling so little of it that a run is only made every couple years to fill limited demand?
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

delete
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

if the majors drop obsolete calibers, that opens it up for shooters/hobbyists to fill the niche. A similar thing is happening with photography, Kodak has been cutting back black and white film and paper choices and at the same time, individuals and small companies have figured out how to produce it instead. If there's only a niche market, somebody is likely to consider it worthwhile, even if a major company doesn't.

However, it sounds like Hornady isn't stopping production of oddballs, just waiting a little longer before setting up for them. Fair enough.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Unfortunately, hunters are becoming a dying breed. I suspect most of the ammo market is geared towards military, law enforcement, and shooting competitors. Most of those will shoot more ammo in a single event than some hunters will shoot all year.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Old Ironsights wrote: When you see production of 20ga being cut, you know that shooting is imminent...
Seeing that I just added a 20ga semi-auto to the gun safe, I can almost assure you with my luck, that won't be long.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
I've been looking for some 180 gr, .357, XTP bullets.. They're on the suspended list there somewhere..

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

While the loss of the 220FP for my 375 Win was troublesome, I still have about 500 on hand.

What is heartening is that they're still making that which I need a steady supply of:
6020 36 CAL .375 LEAD BALLS LIFE IS GOOD!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

My stable includes some less popular rounds 444, 32 Special, 303 Brit, 32-20, and 22 Hornet. It is threads like this that convince me to step up my cast bullet hobby and stockpile brass a bit.

But 20 gauge!!!!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Canuck Bob wrote:My stable includes some less popular rounds 444, 32 Special, 303 Brit, 32-20, and 22 Hornet. It is threads like this that convince me to step up my cast bullet hobby and stockpile brass a bit.

But 20 gauge!!!!
there are still two kinds of 20 gauge slugs and several sizes of shot being produced, how many do you really need?

Check the *.pdf link to see what they are running right now.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have a Mossberg 20 guage pump, 18 1/2" barrel, Mossberg ghost ring sights, it performs it's function.
I am one of the minority that does NOT believe a shotgun is an answer to all problems.
In fact, I use another long gun where the majority would deploy the shotgun.
Even in these messed up times, 20 is readily available.
If you are depending on a shotgun, you have already lost.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Pulling that stuff-----------------------------back to the good ole Winchester stuff.
And actually for plain old slugs (they are still my choice in the Deerslayer )and only $4 a box too.