I bought a box of factory ammo!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

I bought a box of factory ammo!

Post by earlmck »

I hadn't bought a box of factory (centerfire, anyway) ammo in a long time. A few days ago I was showing my friend George the local attractions, one of which is a small gun shop in Redmond (Gunner's). He had lots of powder: at least one can of dang near everything Hodgdon sells, which is a bunch. And a few primers. And quite a lot of ammo.

I was looking around in admiration, enjoying seeing some ammo on the shelves, when my eye checked out the "35 Remington" slot. And there was this classic, obviously something brought in on consignment (he does quite a bit of consignment stuff). I couldn't resist (hey, I have a small fleet of 35 Rem rifles). Thought some of you would enjoy the old-time eye candy. Note that these are not photobucket pics so you need to mouse click on them to show full-size.
35RemSuperSpeedAmmo.jpg
And posed alongside a much newer box of Remingtons
35RemAmmoSSandRP.jpg
And I like the look of the old domed primers
35RemCartHeads.jpg
And I thought this warning label on the flap was interesting. What do you suppose this "not recommend you reload these shells" means? I have sure reloaded bunches of SS headstamped brass in my time.
35RemAmmoWarning.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I bought a box of factory ammo!

Post by FWiedner »

earlmck wrote: What do you suppose this "not recommend you reload these shells" means?
Everybody knows that ammo that's hand-loaded out in the garage by some cheapskate old recluse can't be trusted, and might just explode when you least expect it, blinding every nearby child and ruining every working firearm within walking distance.

Only FACTORY manufactured ammunition is safe AND reliable.

It means: "WE want more of YOUR money, so buy OUR stuff..."

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Thanks for posting those pictures.
The artistic side of me loves those old ammo. and shot shell boxes.
Now it's a struggle to find a box of ammo. on a store shelf, or a store
that even sells ammo. anymore.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Thanks for the pics. Brings back memories.

Sometimes 'factory ammo' is good... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

It means they want you to buy more of their ammo.

I can't begin to count the number of SUPER SPEED cartridges I've fired then reloaded. I've still got gobs of them.

Nothing wrong with them that I can tell.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

I and my brother did a gunshop/pieshop tour of Eastern Oregon last May and found LOTS of ammo at the height of the "ammo drought." What the gunshop owners said was "Sure, we have LOTS of ammo. Just means nobody around here has ANY money!" From the low price of pie (my very favorite "economic indicator") they were right.... They even had .22 LR and .38 Special and similar rare and expensive specialties!

I NEVER would have thought that we'd all have to become "hunters and gatherers" to keep our .22s fed!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Why, Mr. Miller, don't you know that you are just an accident waiting to happen? :lol: :lol: Everyone knows that those cases can't be safely reloaded. Sorry, I can't even type this with a straight face.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWiedner wrote:
earlmck wrote: What do you suppose this "not recommend you reload these shells" means?
Everybody knows that ammo that's hand-loaded out in the garage by some cheapskate old recluse can't be trusted, and might just explode when you least expect it, blinding every nearby child and ruining every working firearm within walking distance.

Only FACTORY manufactured ammunition is safe AND reliable.

It means: "WE want more of YOUR money, so buy OUR stuff..."

Not to mention that the use of handloads voids any warranty on the firearm........... :roll:

WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

That Winchester box appeared in 1939, lasted until ~1946.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

FWiedner wrote:It means: "WE want more of YOUR money, so buy OUR stuff..."

Well yeah, you gotta figure that. But the way it is worded, it would have made me think their "Staynless, non-mercuric" priming did something bad to the brass. I know it didn't: I still have a few "SUPERSPEED" headstamped cases in use.

WinM71 wrote:That Winchester box appeared in 1939, lasted until ~1946.
Thanks for that info, Win. I knew it was an older style than the box of 30/30 dad had for our "deer rifle" back when I was a kid in the 50's.

Yeah, dad had the same box of ammo for a number of years (used one or two per year, if that). Until I got old enough to shoot it. I'm sure it sounded like "full auto" the first time I shot at a deer, and he had to buy a fresh box of ammo.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

WinM71 wrote:That Winchester box appeared in 1939, lasted until ~1946.

Good call...You beat me to it. :D -----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Sure they were trying to sell ammo...But 35 Rem has been loaded since about IIRC 1909. During the time that SS ammo was first being loaded or even later one could have come across a box of empties that some penny pincher used old bargain basement (mercuric) primers that weakened brass.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY