Levergunning in Africa - 2009

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Levergunning in Africa - 2009

Post by 86er »

Believe it or not it is time to think about next year's Leverguns trip to Africa. One year goes by pretty fast. Next years trip should be the beginning of May - subject to interest and availability.

This year's group has been shooting up a storm practicing at different ranges, offhand, off-sticks, odd angles, etc.

We have an 1886 in 45-70, a Sav 99 in 308, a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem, a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 and three other guns going. The ammo is Grizzly Cartridge 45-70 with Kodiak bullets in 45-70, Federal Fusion 165 gr .308 Win, Handloaded 35 Rem 220 gr @ 2000 fps and others.

This years trip departs NY - JFK on May 2nd. There is actually time and room for two last minute hunters if anyone is interested.
If you are interested in the 2009 trip - start posting questions, comments and ideas and I will gladly coordinate everything again as I did this year.
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Levergunning in Africa - 2009

Post by Jarhead »

86er wrote:Believe it or not it is time to think about next year's Leverguns trip to Africa. One year goes by pretty fast. Next years trip should be the beginning of May - subject to interest and availability.

This year's group has been shooting up a storm practicing at different ranges, offhand, off-sticks, odd angles, etc.

We have an 1886 in 45-70, a Sav 99 in 308, a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem, a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 and three other guns going. The ammo is Grizzly Cartridge 45-70 with Kodiak bullets in 45-70, Federal Fusion 165 gr .308 Win, Handloaded 35 Rem 220 gr @ 2000 fps and others.

This years trip departs NY - JFK on May 2nd. There is actually time and room for two last minute hunters if anyone is interested.
If you are interested in the 2009 trip - start posting questions, comments and ideas and I will gladly coordinate everything again as I did this year.
Sure wish I could afford it this year :( Even if I could, I have a 3/5 Reunion in May and my Marine Brothers are more important...perhaps in 2010. I have always wanted to go to Africa. Best wishes on a very successful hunt!
Semper Fi
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Don't put it off. If you keep delaying it you will never go. This year it's this, next year it's that. One day you wake up and you are sucking on an oxygen bottle and somone is changing your diaper.

Re-arrange your priorities and do it while you can.

You will not regret it.
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

JimT wrote:Don't put it off. If you keep delaying it you will never go. This year it's this, next year it's that. One day you wake up and you are sucking on an oxygen bottle and somone is changing your diaper.

Re-arrange your priorities and do it while you can.

You will not regret it.
Jim,

Thanks for the advice...I know what you are saying is right on. I moved to Alaska and spent 11 years up there to hunt and have never regreted it. One of the best decisions I ever made in my life....My 3/5 Reunion starts on May 14th and I promised my Marine Brothers I'd be there. I have already paid my deposit for the reunion and bought my airline ticket...next years a different story. Adapt, Improvise and Overcome :wink:
Semper Fi
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Sounds like a great opportunity for someone wanting to go to Africa. I sincerely doubt I will go to Africa in the future. I don't have a huge interest in the place but Alaska is a different story. Been there and think about it all the time.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Last call for this year....
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I know there had been some prices posted on here before, but I still never really got a good feel for how much a trip like this cost. Ball park, about how much should one expect to spend, start to finish, on the average trip to Africa as you fellows do it?
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Here's the best way to get your price ballpark:

Airfare to NY, D.C. or Atlanta + (price varies)
Airfare to South Africa + ($1280 R/T)
Animals - Package ($3295) OR
Animals - A la carte + ($3800 average)
Air2000 gun import + ($160)
Gratuities (varies)
Satellite Phone rental ($150)

If you can drive to one of the departure cities or fly cheap like JetBlue, Southwest, etc that helps.

The basic package is daily rates and Impala, warthog and Wildebeast.

A la carte generally includes two large animals and three small, so you are pulling the trigger once every day. The prices vary but the large stuff is close to $1000 and the small stuff is close to $350. You can get an Eland or Nyala and drop $2k all at once. If you'll take a baboon, cats, small antelope you can pay as little as $125 each. The daily rate is $1990 for the week plus animals.

Gratuities are an individual thing. Figure $150 -$300. 10% of the animal cost for the PH and a set # for the camp staff.

If one person claims the rifles on the import you can split one fee. Put two or three rifles in one case designed for such.

A satellite phone is nice to call home. It is $65 per week plus minutes. 100 minutes is $70. Split it with the whole group. Everyone get 100 minutes and call home 10-12 minutes per day, and share the rental cost to keep it down to $100 per person.

If you have $5000 you can get there and back with multiple nice trophies.

Don't worry too much about taxidermy. There are 3 or four ways to keep that cost down and make it payable in another year or so.

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

86er wrote:Here's the best way to get your price ballpark:

Airfare to NY, D.C. or Atlanta + (price varies)
Airfare to South Africa + ($1280 R/T)
Animals - Package ($3295) OR
Animals - A la carte + ($3800 average)
Air2000 gun import + ($160)
Gratuities (varies)
Satellite Phone rental ($150)

If you can drive to one of the departure cities or fly cheap like JetBlue, Southwest, etc that helps.

The basic package is daily rates and Impala, warthog and Wildebeast.

A la carte generally includes two large animals and three small, so you are pulling the trigger once every day. The prices vary but the large stuff is close to $1000 and the small stuff is close to $350. You can get an Eland or Nyala and drop $2k all at once. If you'll take a baboon, cats, small antelope you can pay as little as $125 each. The daily rate is $1990 for the week plus animals.

Gratuities are an individual thing. Figure $150 -$300. 10% of the animal cost for the PH and a set # for the camp staff.

If one person claims the rifles on the import you can split one fee. Put two or three rifles in one case designed for such.

A satellite phone is nice to call home. It is $65 per week plus minutes. 100 minutes is $70. Split it with the whole group. Everyone get 100 minutes and call home 10-12 minutes per day, and share the rental cost to keep it down to $100 per person.

If you have $5000 you can get there and back with multiple nice trophies.

Don't worry too much about taxidermy. There are 3 or four ways to keep that cost down and make it payable in another year or so.

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.
That's pretty darn reasonable...not bad at all...
Semper Fi
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Can't do it yet but when I do in a couple years I am taking the whole family....boths sons and my wife (& her camera).

It is going to be a graduation gift for my sons (and me! :lol: ).

Wm
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Thank you, 86er for the price updates.

This may sound stupid, but I have got to ask. Are any vacinations required before you go to Africa? I am asking because it just seems like I remember reading about that, sometime in the past.

Also, do most people take only one gun, or do you sometimes take two in case of a mechanical problem?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Lastmohecken wrote:Thank you, 86er for the price updates.

This may sound stupid, but I have got to ask. Are any vacinations required before you go to Africa? I am asking because it just seems like I remember reading about that, sometime in the past.

Also, do most people take only one gun, or do you sometimes take two in case of a mechanical problem?
No vaccinations are needed. They are recommended by the CDC. If you go to the CDC website and check it out they give a list of recommendations and what is required for what areas.

The area of Africa where Chris Troskie Safaris is located does not have malaria and some of the other problems that are found in other parts of Africa.

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I bring two guns because I feel like, not because I need to. You can bring up to 4 guns per person in different calibers and 200 rounds of ammo per gun. If you are healthy you don't need any vaccines. We've been there a number of times without getting any.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Last year I took a rifle and a handgun. Several of the guys brought 2 rifles and a couple brought 2 rifles and a handgun.

USE THE SERVICES OF AIR2000! They make the paperwork and importing easy!

Most of the shots you can get for free at your local County Health Clinic.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Thanks, for all of the info, fellows. I truly wish I could go, as I have always dreamed of hunting Africa. It's not possible for me at this time, but maybe in the near future.
Bramble
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bramble »

You do not need a satilite phone, your cell will work fine.

I would advise against taking as many as 4 guns you will never have the right one to hand. 2 is plenty and one is enough.
You cannot be overgunned.
Zero for 150 and know what to hold for 100 and 200 you will not shoot further.
A low power scope, although I hate the things, will give you more oppertunities

Hope you all have a fine time and you never know I may just pitch up if I'm around, Chris owes me a beer!.

Regards