Random Question on peep sights?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Random Question on peep sights?

Post by Bridger »

I don't have a peep sight on anything yet, but I have a couple of rifles that eventually are going to be wearing a Foolproof. My question is: I once read (in an older book) that for a hunting rifle, the best thing you could do was unscrew the little eyepiece, and throw it away. Is that true? It seemed logical enough to me as it would seem to increase field of view/make front sight acquisition easier, but a lot of times when I see pics of rifles here the eyepiece is still in the sight. Opinions?
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Random Question on peep sights?

Post by jnyork »

Whoever wrote that is full of something. The eyepiece is there for a purpose, that is to draw your eye to the center of it, therefore giving you a more precise aim, it also acts like the aperture in a camera lens, focusing the front sight for you. Most sights will come with 2 or 3 apertures of different diameters, you pick the one that works best for you under your conditions. Many people who shoot a lot with aperture rear sights will invest in a variable diameter aperture that can be fine-tuned to the light conditions and target visability.
\
I really wish jerks like that would not publish fables.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

I have had good times with Foolproofs..you'll shoot better groups with aperture in, but as the light fades in evening when most whitetails are moving you'll see the front sight better with it in your shirt pocket...I would'nt throw it away... jMHO...Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Les Staley wrote:I have had good times with Foolproofs..you'll shoot better groups with aperture in, but as the light fades in evening when most whitetails are moving you'll see the front sight better with it in your shirt pocket...I would'nt throw it away... jMHO...Les
Yep..

Range and bench and sight in with aperture in, and even hunt in bright light with it in, but dawn and dusk or for protection from 2 or 4 legged predators, remove to get 'ghost ring' effect.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm16 ... uns022.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm16 ... 0ak001.jpg

I generally run a Williams 5D or Foolproof without the insert especially hunting. You get better accuracy with the insert in. But, if its running or moving game in low light, the extra field of view makes a big difference in getting of a fast and accurate shot.
I can shoot 1 to 1 1/2 inches at 100 yards with the insert in on a peep sight and it opens to 2 inches with no insert. for ranges to 150 yards, no real difference in accuracy, but lots faster shooting without it.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Nope. You need the insert for sighting in and load development. Then you throw it away. :lol:

Or at least in a draw somewhere. :wink:
Slow is just slow.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

What AJDM said.

Same reason the M16 has two aperatures. You generally shoot with the small aperature except at close range and in the dark. Nowdays you use an M68 (red dot) but the basic idea is the same for aperature sights going back a century. The smaller the aperature, the more accurate you are.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

buckeyeshooter wrote:

I generally run a Williams 5D or Foolproof without the insert especially hunting.

You get better accuracy with the insert in. But, if its running or moving game in low light, the extra field of view makes a big difference in getting of a fast and accurate shot.

For ranges to 150 yards, no real difference in accuracy, but lots faster shooting without it.

+1 This - The whole truth, and nothing but the truth........

Various size (I.D.) apertures are best for target shooting; shooting through the aperture holder with the aperture removed (aka: "ghost ring") is much better (faster sight aquisition) for hunting.

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

's why I run a Merit Adjustable aperture in my FP.

Don't like unscrewing/losing things in the tall grass...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I use a williams twilight peep .125 hole it has a brass ring in it and gathers light works well in dark timber and have changed out the front sight to a red fire sight that stands out well in the timber and snow backgrounds. danny
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Oops...
Last edited by Charles on Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

As time goes by shooters that cut their teeth on peep sights are getting fewer and fewer and thus misinformation begins to abound. I don't know if I am bragging or complaining, but I am one of those who started target shooting and hunting with peep sights. Let me give you the facts as I know them to be and then I will address the OP and his question;

1. The smaller the hole in the aperture the smaller the group will be on the target, which means the closer to the exact point of aim the bullet will hit.

2. Super small apertures while great for target use, are not that swift for hunting, as they don't let in enough light and you have to hunt up your target in the itty bitty hole. If the game is running hell-bent-for-leather to get away from you, that is not a good thing.

3. Hunting apertures were larger in size to deal with No. 2 above.

4. For as long as I remember older hunters have advocated the "ghost ring" sight, which is accomplished by removing the disc entirely and just sighting through the threaded hole in the sight bridge. For quick and dirty shooting as fast moving targets are short range (under 100 yards) this works just fine. But, settle down for a longer shot where you are shooting "fine and far" and you will wish for an aperture of the proper size for precision shooting. I have done this, but always carried the aperture disc in my shirt pocket so I could screw it in, if time and circumstances permitted.

5. The Pre-War Lyman sights gave you the best of all worlds. The had a little flip up aperture for fine shooting and it could be folded down to either use the "ghost ring" or an aperture disc could be screwed in.

6. IMHO the Williams Twilight is the best aperture/disc for field use. When you lay the rifle across the sand bags and screw in a pin hole aperture made by Lyman.

7. Williams, Redfield and Lyman discs all use the same thread size although Redfield can be a little off but still useable in other makes of sights. Never horse a disc in as you can booger those fine threads real easy.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

http://www.meritcorporation.com/products.html

ImageImageImage

The #4 is designed to replace the existing fixed aperture in your peep sight. Our adjustable aperture allows good sighting in any lighting condition. The overall size of the disc is smaller than our target models, allowing low mounting and reduced weight. The #4 easily fits most tang sights with its standard size 7/32-40 thread. Some special threads are available for unique sights (contact us for information).
Click spring maintains aperture setting.
Withstands any recoil.
Aperture varies from .022 to .156 inches diameter.
Threaded shanks available in three lengths.
See size chart for proper length.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The large aperture gives you a quicker but less precise sight picture. Good for low light, short range and quick acquisition of the target.

The small aperture gives you a slower but much more precise sight picture. Good for bright light, slow fire and long range shooting.

To back this up I always think of the sights on the British No 4 Mk 1 battle rifles. Flipped down there is a large aperture that's roughly sighted in for point blank to 300 yards. Flipped up there is an adjustable sight with a very small aperture for long range shooting.

On my own personal rifles I have both the Lyman and Williams peep sights. I leave the regular aperture in them as a rule. I don't hunt so I have no need for a ghost ring type set up.

When I go to a gun range to sight the rifles in I use a large diameter disk with a itsy teensy pin hole to get the sights regulated as close as I can. Then the regular disk goes back in.

The appropriate aperture to use is the one that gives you the best sight picture for the type of environment and shooting your doing, and the one that matches your eyes the best.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

If it were me, and it was just a few months ago, I would use what the factory supplied parts and get used to that. I don't shoot running boar, or need any lightning fast target acquisition, or do much snap shooting (what's fast for me really ain't that fast). I'd say if you do most of your hunting beginning pre dawn, or late dusk, try your hand at that, if you can hit w/o an aperture and are comfortable then do it, if not leave the sight as is...

Maybe I'm just getting cynical, but there is a whole lot of B.S. and old wive's tales appearing on line for just about any subject under the sun and there's an expert available to tell you exactly how to do/use just about anything so I don't pay a lot of attention to un-solicited advise...

Except Levergunz.com of course. :D
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I collected an assortment of discs over the years. I drilled the smallest OD to just shy of the ID of the threaded shank and used that for years. I would remove it for last light or snowfall only. The disc is easy to lose. If a large aperture small disc works for your eyes I would leave it alone. I found the tiny holes useless with receiver sights because the eye isn't close enough to the aperture to work in my opinion.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Les Staley wrote:I have had good times with Foolproofs..you'll shoot better groups with aperture in, but as the light fades in evening when most whitetails are moving you'll see the front sight better with it in your shirt pocket...I would'nt throw it away... jMHO...Les
Dittos. I use the sights as appropriate for conditions. Don't throw anything away.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I bought this 94 30-30 new when I about 16 in 1956 or 1957. Soon I had a fool proof and a pad for lop put on as I was a big kid. I shot a number of deer with it. Long ago I lost the insert. It sat in back of my safe for many years. A year or two ago I pulled it out and went to the range to bench test it. It was spot on and more accurate than I am. It had never been resighted in all those many years. My dad never used a scope. He died and I inherited his remington 760 in 30-06. He shot his last buck with it in his mid 80s. Again, I put this one in the back of the safe for 8 years or so and finaly thought I would bench test it too last year. The peep was right on and I belive its just about as accurate for me as a scope would be. I think the apeiture is out too. I am thinking of takeing it regularly with me on my atv trail rideing out here. Powerful, fast, light and accurate. Whats not to like? He also had cut down a liberated K-98 mauser and had put a lyman peep on that one too. He had it since I was a boy and shot many deer with it. Also he had a winchester model 64 32 special with a peep.

1894c

Post by 1894c »

you guys are singing my song...i've used scopes (haven't owned one in 10 yrs.), but nothing is better than a Receiver Sight (peep-sight), I've use Skinner Sights, XS Sights, but my favorite is the Williams FP, have used the 5D, but always seem to gravitate back to the FP...there's a ton of great info and experience on this thread...I appreciate everyone sharing... :)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Here a link to some peep sight pictures if this helps =-> Peep Sight Pictures
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a Skinner peep sight on my Guide Gun. I sighted it in with the small aperture in, and removed the aperture while in the field when I was hunting in Africa. The Ghost Ring was good enough for that hunt, even if I needed more practice.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost