Couple o' old knives

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Couple o' old knives

Post by wecsoger »

Helped my mom out with her aunt's house last week. Her uncle passed away several years ago. Her aunt, now in assisted living, remembers us all from years past, but can't recall if we visited her yesterday. (sigh)

He was in the Marine Corp, but I've no further info on either of these and will probably never know.

Found these while we were doing initial cleanup.

Top one stamped 'CAMILLUS, NY' on one side and 'U.S.M.C.' on the other. That's obviously not an issue sheath. That's an Indian chief, Mac and an arrow pointing down below. Mac was not the uncle's name, so I don't know. There were huge blobs of that waxy green verdigris on the copper rivets, biggest I've ever seen.

Bottom one has 'Forged in Sheffield England for Indian Ridge Traders' on it and no other identifying marks or dates. Don't know if that's the original handles on it either.

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Couple o' old knives

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Nice, if they could only talk. Hope you take them out and exercise them occasionaly.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I Like Em. USMC fighting knife caint go wrong. The other is an Oldie also, the grips(or is it scales) sure do fit good. I'm thinking they are original. Good score but sorry about Ur Uncle.
R U the one one that used sandpaper on them, ? tsk tsk.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Nope, these are exactly as they came out of the old silverware box, minus the huge green globs that had grown on the copper rivets.

Was debating about taking a real fine, aircraft grade scotchbrite pad and some steel wool to them for a little more basic cleaning but that's it.

There's a reasonable edge to them now, I can drag out the Lansky set and touch that up.

That USMC knife is a classic, back when we still made stuff in the U.S.A.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

3leggedturtle wrote:Nice, if they could only talk. Hope you take them out and exercise them occasionaly.
+1 :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I don't know... it seems that the scratches are part of the story as well.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

My dad had one like that Marine knife for a good many years, don't know what happened to it. It was given to him by a young marine that came home from the war with it. We lived in Arcadia Florida then it was just a little cowtown.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I had a similar Camillus, that was marked USN. It served me well for many years!
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Sorry to hear about the Aunt but that is an interesting find for sure.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Camillus is still in business. If you can find a serial number, odds are they can give you a production year.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Indian Ridge traders sold a line of blades in the late 60's and early 70's and were well thought of. I I believe I once had one of their catalogs which was black/white with line drawings and I seem to remember Dixie Gun Works listing them in their catalogs. I don't remember them ever listing completed knives but they may have at one time.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The Camillus that is in business now is I believe a company that bought the name. Fine knives but I doubt the same at all.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Thanks, all, for the comments.

I didn't know that about the IRT knife. Google image search gave me current info, but this one is much older than that. And 60's/70's vintage makes sense.

The U.S.M.C. knife is vintage to that time frame, or I suspect older. It has *no* other marks on it; I've been over it with a magnifying glass. It is, as pointed out the 'old' Camillius, good American made steel. I'm going to check with Smoky Mountain Knife Works and get a good clean sheath, or else make one up if I get time to drag the leather working gear out.

Took a brass brush gently to them both to for the crud, they're now cleaned and oiled.

They're not race cars, they're work trucks and I'll treasure them for their usefulness and the memories.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Wouldn't that USMC knife use a standard M8 or so scabbard/sheath, like this one.
Perry
any chance to show off the Boys. :lol: :arrow:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

wecsoger wrote:
The U.S.M.C. knife is vintage to that time frame, or I suspect older. It has *no* other marks on it; I've been over it with a magnifying glass. It is, as pointed out the 'old' Camillius, good American made steel. I'm going to check with Smoky Mountain Knife Works and get a good clean sheath, or else make one up if I get time to drag the leather working gear out.
Nice old USMC Camillus. The correct sheath for it would plain unmarked leather and have nine rivets. They come up on ebay fairly frequently. Anything with USMC or an EGA, on the leather is fake, or a modern piece.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

The knife that my dad had was in a plain brown leather sheath. It was given to him by his friend a cowboy that he had worked with that was a Marine in the Pacific.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

Don't clean them with anything that is or contains an abrasive. They look great now, you could not improve the patina of honorable service. If you can, bottle and sell it. Be careful with the old leather, check out what real conservators do.